Girding my loins

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Girding my loins

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I decided I would tackle the latest firearms project in the garage this afternoon, despite the heat (forecast high 111) -- a new-to-me Carl Gustavs Model 67 Swedish rolling block manufactured 150 years ago. It left the "stads gevärsfaktori" in Eskilstuna in 1873. The bore in this rifle is quite lovely. The Swedes bored the grooves so deep that the bore looks hexagonal: .475 on the lands, and .506 in the grooves.
On the outside, the rifle appears tired. Some freckling afflicts the receiver, but a fair amount of the original case colors remain. The wood needs some attention, having been sloshed with some sort of dark stain or oil in the past. These rifles typically had wood finished in a sort of reddish-yellow when new.
To fortify myself with the needed courage to do just enough but never too much, I decided a great big root beer float was just the tonic I needed. Had not had one in years. Dang it was good. 8)
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Girding my loins

Post by Ray Newman »

Good luck as I am "at that age" when woodworking and firearms projects never seem to get done!

Anyway, have you brass for it? If memory serves me, did not ome importers bore out the chamber to accept the US .50 Gov't round??

A double Root Beer float would have provided more confidence and incentive to start the task. :D
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ray, the centerfire civilian version of the Swedish 12,7X42 rimfire has a slightly smaller rim diameter than the .50-70, so a lot of guys form the Swede cases from the .348 Winchester -- or better yet, the .50 Alaskan, which is derived from the .348. I used the latter, trimmed to size. I only have the Lee 515-450 mold at hand, so I loaded some rounds with it, but have ordered a lee custom mold from "Svartkrutt.net" in Norway to cast an unusual partly heeled bullet that is more traditional.
The root beer float was really good. I had forgotten the best part is spooning out small blobs of the ice cream floating in root beer sugary goo.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Never a fan of root beer float but if ya brought me a peanut butter/ chocolate malt with extra malt I'd be livin large Bill !
Oh nice ol rifle ya got there!
Range report !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You lost me at "111 degrees"! :shock: :shock: :shock:
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

But it's a dry heat......... :lol: :twisted:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

stretch wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:47 pmBut it's a dry heat......... :lol: :twisted:
Not in TX it ain't! I gotta be in Houston @ 8am on Monday, maybe I need a root beer float to gird my loins!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Only made her to 110 yesterday; humidity 15 percent. Looking for similar today. Might require a butterscotch sundae ... :lol:
Wish it would cool off below 86 at night.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

In my opinion the Swedes made some of the finest Rolling Blocks ever built. They took what Remington sold them, and took the work to a little higher level. They certainly loved their Rolling Blocks.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Only had a handful of cartridges to test fire this morning, but once on paper at 25, I put a target up at 50 and got this three-shot group almost without trying. Next outing, I will have more ammo loaded and will run the target out to 100. I did fire a round off my hind legs at the 100-yard gong and smacked it good, but the last round off-hand at 200 missed thanks to old "Wobbly bill."

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nothing wrong with that Bill!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's what I kept telling m'self, Will. 8)
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool beans Bill, 8)
Been a long time since i had a root beer float. :roll:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

does girding loins make them work better is what I want to know
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mick, it works better with a root beer float than girding one's loins with a half-dozen of stout! :lol:
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Not sure exactly what you mean by the phrase but way back in the day in sunday school and vacation bible school at the little baptist church on 29th st. and moore ave. it meant the knotting-up of the skirt/hem of your robe preparatory to some exertions to keep from tripping on your own two left trotters.
IMG_20230818_141443038~2.jpg
The church building is still there but honky is only allowed to deliver or repair or read meters but had better not let the sun set on them unless they're buying rocks from tyrone on a street corner.

The little yellow house next to the parking lot/volley ball court was the domicile of willie and beulah ray where I spent many pleasant hours. They insisted on feeding you. They were so poor (s.s.) only two items on the menu.....bananas and peanut butter and mayo on white or ripe tomatoes from the garden with mayo on white.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I smoke pork loins occasionally.

Root beer floats are a delightful treat. As a type 1 diabetic, they are rare for me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost