Sportsman's Warehouse memory

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Sportsman's Warehouse memory

Post by Bill in Oregon »

One of the guys over at Handgun Hunting International posted about his new H&K Mark 23, which brought back these memories:

I was working the gun counter at a Sportman's Warehouse in Medford, Oregon, while Operation Iraq Freedom was at full speed. We had a lot of kids home on leave who made a beeline for our store. NONE of them wanted anything to do with the Beretta 92/M9 and they ALL wanted to handle the 1911s and the H&Ks -- in fact anything in .45 ACP. I sold a Mark 23 to a young officer who was medically retired after an IED blew up his Humvee leaving him diminished in many ways.
As an aside, Sportsman's had a policy that you had to be 21 just to handle a handgun. One afternoon we had a young guy hovering in front of the handguns and although he was looking intently, he seemed reluctant to ask to handle one. Turned out he was aware of the must-be-21 policy and had no intention to violate it. With his bearing and his cropped hair, I asked him what branch of the service he was in. "Marine Corps, sir," he answered. What is your MOS, I asked. "Scout swimmer , sir," he replied.
I never felt more ashamed of a store policy in my life and will never forget that young man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVyq1IFDX7A
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Re: Sportsman's Warehouse memory

Post by Walt »

I share your feelings, Bill. The One Policy Fits All thing sucks. The bigger the store, the more it seems to happen and in my opinion, Sportsman's and Cabelas are the worst in the firearms business.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

"Policies" are nothing but a crutch for the weak-minded to lean on in avoiding vexatious thinking tasks...

They are essentially the store's declaration that, "We only hire the stupid. If by mistake we hire an intelligent person, we use our policies to keep 'em in line."
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

exactly
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gee, thanks guys.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:59 am Gee, thanks guys.
That is an Epic story, thanks for posting it.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

YEP. had orders for Vietnam in 1974 they were canceled and was sent to Germany. I could go to the Rod and Gun Club, look shoot, but not buy anything. Ended up with a GREAT stereo and camera collection.
It is not the critic who counts
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Sorry to bash your former employer, Bill but it's true.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Glad to hear you are bashing the employer and not the employees. :lol:
My hunting department manager was 10th Mountain Division and I thought -- and still think -- the world of that guy.