Cheap and Efficient Brass/Ammo Kegs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Cheap and Efficient Brass/Ammo Kegs

Post by COSteve »

I've mentioned that I store my brass and excess ammo in plastic kegs. The larger ones originally held pretzels, medium ones held trail mix, and the small ones held dog treats. They are very efficient for storing brass and excess ammo that won't fit in the ammo cans as they clearly indicate how much you have and of course, they're free.

I thought I'd show you what I use as I speak of them and others might want to consider them.

This large keg holds 1,750 pieces of 5.56 brass.
Brass Keg - Large 2.jpg
It can also hold 2,500 pieces of .40 s&w brass and just over 2,000 pieces of .45 acp brass.
Brass Keg - Large.jpg
These can get pretty heavy so I only use them for empty brass that I store for future use and I have a lot of them.

These Medium kegs hold my working batches of brass that are in rotations. Currently, I have 12 of them in use.
Brass Keg - Medium 2.jpg
These kegs are smaller as I use them for excess loaded ammo. I have a lot of .357 Mag, 5.56 and .30 Carbine loaded so I use them for the excess.
Ammo Keg - Large.JPG
The smallest one holds 700 rds of .40 s&w or 350 rds of .45 Colt.
Ammo Keg - Small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cheap and Efficient Brass/Ammo Kegs

Post by GunnyMack »

Not to mention you can see what's in them- that beat the heck out of having to open cans to see whats in a GI ammo can !

Sadly I'm not that fond of pretzels to get enough of em for all my brass.

Besides I have 10s of thousands of shotgun hulls taking up space!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

While not a shotgun hunter, my son has one and I've shot it a bit. A bud out at our range is a fanatic on shotguns and reloading them and he has 55 gal drums full of hulls!! :o

I can only imagine . . .
Steve
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup same here!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I use 'em from mixed nuts that we buy at Sam's club.

You can use a Sharpie to write right on the plastic to label what's in 'em.

The ink in Sharpies is alcohol-soluble, so when you empty the thing, just
wipe off the writing with alcohol and you're ready for the next load.

The smaller containers also hold loaded ammo - and you can label all the
particulars in Sharpie. (I think the bigger containers are too heavy with loaded
ammunition - YMMV.)

Be a hero in the kitchen - glass or plastic reusable containers can be labelled
with a Sharpie before they go in the freezer. Then when they're washed and
reused, wipe your label off with an alcohol wipe and they're ready for the next
batch of soup stock or leftovers. Your wives will think you're geniuses..... :o :lol:
(Okay, so maybe they know you better than that......)

-Stretch
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That's good stuff Steve
I save every one of every size and store tools, empty brass, fiberglassing additives, rice and beans, etc. They will go into the boat and act as flotation in the locker spaces. Even canned food can rest in one. All of my food stuff will be containerized this way. Becomes ballast and buoyancy at the same time. I put yaris size tools, wrenches and sockets into one size, and t4r size tools in another one. One goes in the yaris boot. 1/4" drive and the 10 and 12 and 14 and a small adjustable metric all go in there. dump everything into a gold pan when i'm wrenching . . .
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Grizz, I know what you mean. I actually got the idea from my wife about 35 yrs ago when she would take the kids Legos and put them in the big plastic kegs. That way they didn't end up all over the house and I could stack them away for the next time.

She still does things like that as she found a plastic tub with a lid at the store about 10" x 5" x 4" that she uses to store cooked bacon in. That way she cooks up a whole pound about once a week and stores it in there until it's gone.

All she does is heat it up while cooking the eggs and it's simple. And, that way, I only have to clean up the bacon grease from the stove every week instead of every day. :D
Steve
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

COSteve wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:56 pmWhile not a shotgun hunter, my son has one and I've shot it a bit. A bud out at our range is a fanatic on shotguns and reloading them and he has 55 gal drums full of hulls!! :o
I can only imagine . . .
I'm quite fat enough to eat enough pretzels or cheese puffs to replace my ice cream tubs or coffee cans (plastic). I do use ammo cans for loaded ammo, the plastic is only for processed brass, until it's processed, it stays in my range bags, (I cut off worn out jeans below the knee, sew up the opening, instant range brass bag).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've used old pepperoni plastic jugs for years to store smaller quantities of brass under my loading bench. But for larger amounts I buy generic bins similar to Tupperware I get from my local discount store. They are clear with a white lid, and rectangle shaped. About 8"-9" wide by 14" long, and 4"-5" deep. I prefer them because they stack, which allows me to use storage space better. They used to be $1-$1.50 each on sale, but I think they're more like $2.50 ea. now.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/