Barrel Text

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Barrel Text

Post by Griff »

So's not to hijack the thread on who produced the most revolvers, I thought the swing to discussing what text is stamped on barrels interesting. And caused me to look at several of my black powder guns. (All my cartridge guns were spawned in an age prior to such foolishness).
Ysabel Kid wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:31 pm
JimT wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:47 am
Old Savage wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:12 pmI have a Heritage Rough Rider 45. It is made by Pietta with whatever their arrangement is for manufacturing. It is tighter and better grip frame to frame fitting than any of my Colts and has a one piece wood grip that is well fitted.
Pietta does really nice work on the guns that I have examined. The 1851 Navy by Pietta that I have is well finished inside and out and came with the action not needing any slicking up.
I really like my Pietta cap & ball revolvers. My only complaint is their annoying habit of putting the information on the top of the barrel versus under the loading lever. Really detracts from the gun, but I can live with it.
That's what I like about my Pietta Paterson's...
DSCN1510[1].JPG
DSCN1511[1].JPG
DSCN1512[1].JPG
DSCN1513[1].JPG
Both the 2017 copies from EMF have the year of production code in the square on the side of the frame, as well as in plain text on the bottom of the bbl at the lug. The much earlier Navy Arms copy only has the Importer's name on the top of the bbl, with the "BP only" text on the bottom... and only has the year of production code in the box on the side of the frame. All of them have the serial number at the bottom of the grip frame (part of the actual frame), while the Navy Arms also has it on the bottom of the bbl lug. There is nothing distinguishing between the 2017 bbls.

My 1986 ASM 1851 has the "Black Powder Only" warning on the bottom of the barrel, under the loading lever. While none of the US produced 1851 copies, (Colt & Black Powder Arms) have any such warning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Re: Barrel Text

Post by JimT »

I dislike a lot of the barrel markings on most handguns these days. Especially Ruger's "Read The Instruction Manual". I find it highly irritating. I usually take it off.

My Pietta 1851 Navy is marked similar to your Patterson. It will most likely get the treatment.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Must be an eyetalyon thing. You think the revolvers are bad ? Well look at the investarms/lyman great plains pistols. They are so bad, most folk who want one actually prefer to buy the kit instead of the finished and file away all of the offending stampings prior to brown/blue.
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Yessir. I'll bet that surplus verbiage has prompted many to develop their draw-filing skills!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Have of the markings are there for the same reason McDonalds must warn their patrons that coffee is actually served hot... :roll: :shock: :evil: