Feeling sorry for our friends in Phoenix

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Feeling sorry for our friends in Phoenix

Post by Bill in Oregon »

It only got down to 83 here in west central Texas this morning, and we are headed for a couple of 109s, and triples the next 10 days.
But the poor devils in Phoenix have lows in the 90s and check their highs. Mom and her siblings were all Mogollon Rim babies -- certainly more reasonable climate-wise.
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/az/phoenix
JimT
Shootist

Re: Feeling sorry for our friends in Phoenix

Post by JimT »

It only got up to 111 when I visiting my sister in Phoenix a couple weeks ago. She told me this week they were notified that the rates charged for water usage were going to change. Rates are going up based on volume used during the hot months. Apparently the goal is to reduce the usage around 50%.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I don't care where We live extreme weather can be a week away. Look at the flooding in New England the last few days. Hurricanes in Florida every year. In My 70 years living near Lake Erie I remember winters that were never ending. Friends of ours moved from Here to Phoenix in the 90's for about 15 years. They said the summer in Arizona was as bad as a winter in Ohio. We just never really know how bad it will get.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I use to go there on business all the time and unlike Texas where the humidity can really pump up the feel of the heat, Phoenix, like Colorado has a dry heat so it's considerably more tolerable.

My daughter lives in Austin and anything above 90 deg and I'm miserable. I've played basketball in an outdoor court in 117 deg heat in Phoenix and it truly wasn't that bad.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

We have a "heat wave" headed our way this weekend! Three days of 90-96 highs! :) 83 today for a high.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It's supposed to get to 102ºF with a heat index of 112ºF... but hey, if that bores ya, we could always wait for the next tornado! They have a way cooling things off, right before they blow you away! Yesterday, it was right pleasant, and boy am I glad I did the grocery store thing then! Now that things are drying out after yesterday morning's rain shower I have to go clean off the brush hog deck!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

We were at 93 deg yesterday with 25% humidity (on the high side for us) and even sitting in the shade of our big tree in the back that's just too warm for my liking.

Today we're supposed to be cooler at 92 deg with lower humidity so it will feel much nicer. We've decided for dinner we'll have Prosciutto and Cold Cantaloupe with a Pino Grigio wine :D on the back deck in the evening as it cools down.

We'll be watching the small bats that come out at dusk to chase the gnats and other flying bugs. Great fun to watch. :o
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Our after dark entertainment is the bug zapper. Listening to it fry the bugs and watching smoke roll out and up when a big one gets caught is quite amusing. And in the morning the chickens love finding a cooked breakfast.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You guys are a typical bunch of evil, NRA member, white, Christian, heterosexual/binary rural males, who probably wear MAGA hats.

…none of this would be happening if we just voted for Democrats…

:lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:08 am It only got down to 83 here in west central Texas this morning, and we are headed for a couple of 109s, and triples the next 10 days.
But the poor devils in Phoenix have lows in the 90s and check their highs. Mom and her siblings were all Mogollon Rim babies -- certainly more reasonable climate-wise.
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/az/phoenix
I had an afternoon newspaper route and rode in those temperatures in Phx . . . . spent 4 days in hospital recovering from one 'episode'. It's amazing to hear all the hysteria about getting hot in summer. Some people crave those temps! We shelter in place:
Screenshot 2023-07-12 131011_WX 7 day.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

I remember when In our teens several of my friend's
and I had our Dads take us out to Clayton New Mexico Antelope Hunting and supposedly they were having record highs and none of us even broke into a sweat.
With all of us being from Arkansas we were used to Farming in Heat that was even as low as 80 degrees would have you sopping wet.
Add into that working in rice field's shoveling levee's and getting inside rice bins and leveling off the rice.

We all got an antelope,strange critters ,out of all that we saw every single one of them when running would appear to almost break into a single file without slowing down much and go under the fences'
I would have thought that with them being able to run so fast that they could easily jump a fence but they didn't.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I always get a kick out of folks that complain it's too hot, cold, wet, dry and whatever is inbetween. With the exception of the military no one is forced to live in an area they don't like. If you live there it's because you want too.

Me, I live in SoCal on the coast. Rarely are we in triple digits, even 90's or high 80's are infrequent. The winter is a tropical paradise compared to places like the Upper Peninsula. Is it perfect? Well no, there are too many people and the current political climate sucks (but as we have seen that climate truly does change). You just have to outlast the bastards.

But, in my view the good far outweighs the bad. I live where I have chosen and am not going to complain about the weather.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

It's 110 right now here in Sweetwater with a breeze. Not too bad, but I did my errands earlier in the day, and I cooked a nice pizza outside, on a stone on the Traeger. Mother Powell didn't raise a complete idiot ... :lol:
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

It's been typically hot here in the far north of California with daily temperatures well over 100 degrees. The weatherman is calling for 114 degrees this coming weekend! Thankfully we had a very wet winter that filled up all our drought-stricken lakes so there's plenty of water to go around and no extra fees either.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Russia and Trump combined forces with the NRA to cause it using climate change. If we just pay more taxes, turn in our AR-15's, and elect Newsom as President, it will all get better.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:05 pm It's 110 right now here in Sweetwater with a breeze. Not too bad, but I did my errands earlier in the day, and I cooked a nice pizza outside, on a stone on the Traeger. Mother Powell didn't raise a complete idiot ... :lol:
I don't want to even think about what 110 feels like. I thought 83 this afternoon was too much. It's 70 out right now with a light rain. Perfectly fine with me.
We've had more violent weather this year than I can remember has happened in a long time. Wind storms, small tornados, hail, isn't uncommon in western OH, but it rarely happens one storm system after another. I've had 80-90 open storm claims since January. I haven't seen that in years. I'm already looking forward to the calmer, cooler weather that can't get her soon enough.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

I think maybe a lot of people from different states say this nameing their state
In Arkansas where I am from, the old saying is "if you dont like the weather just wait a few minutes and it will change !"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:37 pmRussia and Trump combined forces with the NRA to cause it using climate change. If we just pay more taxes, turn in our AR-15's, and elect Newsom as President, it will all get better.
I gotta admit... that was funny!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

High of 88 here today…….I don’t care what the temps get to as that’s what fans and air conditioning is for. Lacking that the basement never gets about 65-70….

Thing on Fox News the other day that said the southern part of the U.S will be uninhabitable for human life by 2070. Heck, it’s like that now in every major inner city.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Griff wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:44 pm
AJMD429 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:37 pmRussia and Trump combined forces with the NRA to cause it using climate change. If we just pay more taxes, turn in our AR-15's, and elect Newsom as President, it will all get better.
I gotta admit... that was funny!
Me too :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

It’s called Summertime.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:24 am It’s called Summertime.
Amazing isn't? Something that happens every year and each year some "expert" is screaming "It's the worst ever!" :lol:
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I was working in Mesa back in '90 when the Valley set the current record of 122 F. We put a thermometer on the pavement at the airport and it showed 147, it was a pretty rough day.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I can remember way back, in my early 20's, hauling hay in 105 degree temps and at least 80% humidity. Think I was sweating it out as fast as I could drink it. Then had to stack it in a metal barn that the prior crew had unloaded their hay to where only the South door of the barn could be opened, not the North door, so no cross breeze. We were miserable, but don't remember anything about the TV weather warning about heat index or anything like that. Just that it was going to be hot.

Notice that news now usually gives heat index only, not temps. Guess to make things look worse than they really are. Trying to push their climate change agenda. Wouldn't look so bad if they just had temps
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Talked to a friend in Fresno area last night and he said they're in the 107 degree range, and also headed to 112 range for the upcoming weekend. So it's not just one area of the SW getting hot, but most of it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Used to fry eggs on the wing of a F4 Phantom wing at Luke AFB all the time back in the early 70`s. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Pitchy wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:22 am Used to fry eggs on the wing of a F4 Phantom wing at Luke AFB all the time back in the early 70`s. :lol:
You probably remember when one of the Phoenix radio stations used to try to cook a pot roast on the dash of a car every summer. Actually succeeded some years according to the meat thermometer, other years not so much.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Pitchy wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:22 am Used to fry eggs on the wing of a F4 Phantom wing at Luke AFB all the time back in the early 70`s. :lol:
plus on sidewalks ! it is just so SHOCKING that the air gets hot in summer :!:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

samsi wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:52 am I was working in Mesa back in '90 when the Valley set the current record of 122 F. We put a thermometer on the pavement at the airport and it showed 147, it was a pretty rough day.
that was tough WX . . .

Screenshot 2023-07-13 101511_Phx 1963 temps.png
this shows 5 months of temperatures over a hundred in '63, which is stupid-hot. you can probably get temps over 140 on blacktop in these temps... I managed to get heat-stroke in these temperatures... Dad loved it. Would sit in the sun and remark about how nice it was. sheesh.

grizz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

We haven`t seen nothing yet Gods word says it will get so hot it will scorch the heads of men and the evil dems will say see i told ya so a climate change.
Stay strong men don`t cave to the lies and deception nothing new under the sun, all political.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Grizz wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:24 pm
samsi wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:52 am I was working in Mesa back in '90 when the Valley set the current record of 122 F. We put a thermometer on the pavement at the airport and it showed 147, it was a pretty rough day.
that was tough WX . . .

Screenshot 2023-07-13 101511_Phx 1963 temps.png

this shows 5 months of temperatures over a hundred in '63, which is stupid-hot. you can probably get temps over 140 on blacktop in these temps... I managed to get heat-stroke in these temperatures... Dad loved it. Would sit in the sun and remark about how nice it was. sheesh.

grizz
y'all can relate to this info, these are the highest temperatures year by year in Phx going back to 1949 . . .

https://www.currentresults.com/Yearly-W ... rature.php
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am out of shape and used to working in the a/c now. Going outdoors in the heat feels worse, but it is just me. I need to lose weight.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I was going to shoot today, but wussed out and stayed inside. I did go out and BB gun some soda cans in the back yard a while ago. While I was at it, it occurred to me that it's hot out here...(!)
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Anything over 80 degrees and I'm miserable!
My Viking & Irish blood can't handle the heat!
Johnny
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JOG wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:04 pm Anything over 80 degrees and I'm miserable!
My Viking & Irish blood can't handle the heat!
Johnny
Hey, we're related. Somehow.... heat kills me. 50°F and below is around perfect. . . .