John W. Sidle target scope

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

John W. Sidle target scope

Post by marlinman93 »

Back in the late 1800's John W. Sidle began building rifle scopes for target and hunting use. He was ahead of his time and built scopes that were considered some of the finest made in the 1880's. The Sidle scopes were unusual in they had a 7/8" tube when all others then used 3/4" then, and even smaller tubes a bit earlier. Sidle's shop was initially in Philadelphia, Pa. but in 1908 he moved his business to Corning, Ca. and continued making scopes until 1918 when he died. Sidle is credited with being the first scope maker to build scope tubes with larger objective bells to better gather light.
I picked this scope up late June at our monthly OAC gun show when my friend put it out to sell on his tables behind me. Hesitant to buy it, having recently made a few other large purchases, but when I asked about it he handed it to me and told me he'd knock 1/3rd off the price, so I had to buy it!
I finally took time to consider which rifle I might install the Sidle scope on today, but everything I had required me to D&T a new pair of holes farther out on the barrels, until I pulled out the Schoyen I had restored about 6 years ago! Before sending it to Al Springer for rust bluing, and color case, I had filled numerous extra holes in the barrel. One set of filled holes was exactly where this front scope mount needed to be to use the Sidle scope! So set the gun up in my drill press and drilled out my plugs, and threaded it again for the same 8-40 scope screws.
I was a bit concerned that the threads might be slightly off the old holes, and could pull the old threads out, which could mess things up. But I had Loctited the plugs, and peened them before draw filing. So they D&T out just great, and tightened down without an issue. Scope looks like it's been there forever, and fits the gun era great.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: John W. Sidle target scope

Post by GunnyMack »

Looks right at home!
Tell me, is that maple furniture? Absolutely gorgeous whatever it is!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Beautiful wood; classic rifle and classic scope. It looks like a perfect matchup.

Thanks for the story and for the great pictures, Vall.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Walt wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:26 pmBeautiful wood; classic rifle and classic scope. It looks like a perfect matchup.
Thanks for the story and for the great pictures, Vall.
+1!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Your post jogged my memory, the name Sidle. Very neat old scopes.

I ran into a guy at the Cody show years ago trying to find info on a 94 carbine he had, it was scoped with a Sidle scope. I was a Museum member and got him the basic paper with the info on his serial number. It was a 1900 gun, and papered with the shotgun butt, and maybe the ivory bead front sight, I dont recall if the scope was factory, but it was period to the gun. I think the paper just said special sights....
Cliffs Winchester with scope full.jpg
Cliffs Winchester-2 005.jpg
Cliffs Winchester scope mount detail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Malamute wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:09 pm Your post jogged my memory, the name Sidle. Very neat old scopes.

I ran into a guy at the Cody show years ago trying to find info on a 94 carbine he had, it was scoped with a Sidle scope. I was a Museum member and got him the basic paper with the info on his serial number. It was a 1900 gun, and papered with the shotgun butt, and maybe the ivory bead front sight, I don't recall if the scope was factory, but it was period to the gun. I think the paper just said special sights....

Cliffs Winchester with scope full.jpg

Cliffs Winchester-2 005.jpg

Cliffs Winchester scope mount detail.jpg
I doubt the Sidle scope was factory, but it's likely installed when the rifle was very new! The mounts are Sidle mounts, and the scope and mounts are likely worth as much or more than the rifle! A very cool combination of old Win. and Sidle scope!! Never see this setup anymore, and back maybe 30-40 years ago guys would say "someone ruined this gun" by adding the scope and holes to it. Today people are better educated and know it's a very valuable combination still being together after well over 100 years!

Gunnymack, I believe the wood is indeed maple, and almost has a birdseye maple look to it. I have another Ballard with Stevens-Pope barrel that has very similar wood fitted to it, and also a schuetzen rifle. It has a very early JW Fecker scope on it that came with the rifle.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I though as much, it's a beaut!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I see there's another Sidle on Ebay with a rear mount to fit a levergun like Win., Marlin, or Savage. No front ring though, and asking $900 or best offer. I happen to have a 7/8" front mount to fit it, but guessing he'd turn down my offer, as it would be a little over half what he's asking.