Mono bullets or jacketed bullets and original...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Mono bullets or jacketed bullets and original...

Post by Nath »

... Springfield trapdoors?

Someone said they would not use anything other than lead in original barrels BECAUSE of the soft steel.
Really???
Is it softer than copper or copper alloys?

What say ye all?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Mono bullets or jacketed bullets and original...

Post by Hawkeye2 »

If it were a very collectable gun or one with a mint bore I would go with pure lead and a good lube (SPG). For anything somewhat less than that I use dug range lead which seems to run between Brinell 7 and 9. Actually the harder lead probably wouldn't hurt at all, it's just that I can't bring myself to do it. Cast bullets only for me though a lead core copper jacketed bullet probably wouldn't contribute much to the wear if used on a limited basis.

Trapdoors are a lot of fun and there is a lot of data out there for smokeless loads that are very safe in them. I was shooting my '84 at a cowboy shoot (48 grains 3f, 340 grain bullet) a few years back and everyone seemed amazed that I was shooting an original. I tried to explain that one could buy an original for a lot less than a Pedersoli and have a better gun too but I'm not sure everyone got the message.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I might not use a brass monolithic in it or anything with a tungsten core, but I would think lead or copper jacketed lead would yield to the steel and form fit the bore. Obturate, as they say.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

It's no secret that Schuetzenfest rifles used in this almost 200 year old competition to this day use lead bullets. These fine target rifles were manufactured before the advent of heat-treated steels. There's no doubt in my mind that cast bullets cause less wear to barrels than any copper or gilding metal bullets.

I'm betting that Marlinman would never shoot anything but lead bullets in his old rifles.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I've heard something similar about my 71/84 Mauser. It was made in 1888 and I've been warned from even using jacketed bullets, much less monolithic bullets, even soft ones like Hawk Bullets which are pure lead and have softened jackets. I'm not sure how the German steel and American steel compare for the time period. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks fellers.
So how come there are no accounts headed "Hey, I shot my Springfield barrel out using jacketed bullets" anywhere??
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nath wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:36 pm Thanks fellers.
So how come there are no accounts headed "Hey, I shot my Springfield barrel out using jacketed bullets" anywhere??
Probably because they stay true to history and only shoot lead.
The jacket came about due to new fangled smokeless, lead couldn't/ didn't make the trip so the high pressure loads need a "tougher " bullet.
Look at the early Barnes bullets, they left lots of copper in bores, it had no where to go on a solid hunk of copper. Now most if not all have relief grooves so the copper can displace as it travels down the bore.
As for" softer" steel, it is still much tougher than copper and lead. It's the pressure that will cause a soft barrel to come apart.
Look at the early twist barrels, hammer forged and they were just fine with black powder but it will not with high pressure smokeless.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Nath, if you look at the ultra precision rifles used in class F shooting, you will see that many barrels are shot out in as few as 2000 to 5000 rounds. Admittedly a part of that is due to high temp flame or gas erosion.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Yes gentlemen, I know all the above.

What I don't know of is actual evidence that using non mono lead bullets does indeed damage early steel barrels!

Some folk would say don't use copper washed 22 ammo in yer target rifle. It's an old wives tale.

Some say you can only use 4f as pan powder, another false yarn.

Is this another one of these tales?

Lead bullets can indeed be used with smokeless powders.
It's when you start to get beyond a certain pressure trying for more velocity you have to become creative.
Harder lead alloys, improved lubricant, firewalls, grease cookies, gas checks etc.

I guess there is no evidence, and no need to find out.
I bet someone somewhere knows the truth of the matter, because I bet it's been done.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Nath, I was interested in your question so I turned to the Lyman 50th Edition reloading manual. It does in fact list a 300 grain, a 350 and a 400 grain jacketed bullet for 1873 Springfield Trapdoors, however in the text preceeding the loading tables it states, "The exclusive use of cast bullets is recommended for the older, original rifles.".
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nath wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:36 pmThanks fellers.
I'm going to guess that, probably... you don't see that because most folks don't like to publicly announce their idiocy! Lyman states in their reloading handbook, "The exclusive use of cast bullets is recommended for the older, original rifles." Their following line seems to align this recommendation that variations in the groove diameters of the older original bores and the need to size cast bullets accordings. And while this may be sole reason for their recommendation, I've always surmised that from looking at various loadings of the same powder and bullet weights where jacketed rounds achieve lower velocities. I took that to indicate a nominally higher friction in jacketed rounds would induce more wear in the barrel. Yet with modern, nickel/steel & other alloys the same velocity differentials are present, but the wear is not a concern. Probably wrong assumptions on my part, but, seems to indicate that some old homilies can still hold water.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Griff wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:14 am
Nath wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:36 pmThanks fellers.
I'm going to guess that, probably... you don't see that because most folks don't like to publicly announce their idiocy! Lyman states in their reloading handbook, "The exclusive use of cast bullets is recommended for the older, original rifles." Their following line seems to align this recommendation that variations in the groove diameters of the older original bores and the need to size cast bullets accordings. And while this may be sole reason for their recommendation, I've always surmised that from looking at various loadings of the same powder and bullet weights where jacketed rounds achieve lower velocities. I took that to indicate a nominally higher friction in jacketed rounds would induce more wear in the barrel. Yet with modern, nickel/steel & other alloys the same velocity differentials are present, but the wear is not a concern. Probably wrong assumptions on my part, but, seems to indicate that some old homilies can still hold water.
Your comment regarding bore variations in original old barrels makes the most sense to me why not to use other than a lead bullets.
Thanks.
That is until one checked out within spec for an off the shelf bullet....
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Walt wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:39 am Nath, I was interested in your question so I turned to the Lyman 50th Edition reloading manual. It does in fact list a 300 grain, a 350 and a 400 grain jacketed bullet for 1873 Springfield Trapdoors, however in the text preceeding the loading tables it states, "The exclusive use of cast bullets is recommended for the older, original rifles.".
Interesting, so do they mean just use in reproduction rifles?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Back-In-The-Last-Century I hunted and shot with a Fellow Shooter who had a Springfield M1873 Cadet Rifle. Not being a caster, he fired Remington 300g JHP and 405g Soft Points at Lyman recommended loads for original M1873 rifles. John claimed that after about 3 years of shooting, accuracy started to "go off" and the throat showed noticeable wear/erosion. He had no idea how many jacketed rounds fired.

I later asked the local firearms emporium owner and his gunsmith about shooting jacketed bullets in the M1873 Springfield. Both said they had seen bore and throat erosion from shooters shooting jacketed bullets in the old Springfield. Both claimed that when shooting older/original rifles designed/barrelled for lead bullets, lead is best for the bore.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Ray Newman wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:05 pm Back-In-The-Last-Century I hunted and shot with a Fellow Shooter who had a Springfield M1873 Cadet Rifle. Not being a caster, he fired Remington 300g JHP and 405g Soft Points at Lyman recommended loads for original M1873 rifles. John claimed that after about 3 years of shooting, accuracy started to "go off" and the throat showed noticeable wear/erosion. He had no idea how many jacketed rounds fired.

I later asked the local firearms emporium owner and his gunsmith about shooting jacketed bullets in the M1873 Springfield. Both said they had seen bore and throat erosion from shooters shooting jacketed bullets in the old Springfield. Both claimed that when shooting older/original rifles designed/barrelled for lead bullets, lead is best for the bore.
That's just the info/account I was seeking.
Thanks 👍🏻
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

now you tell me. I shot my 1895 Chilean 7x57 Mauser with modern ammo in it. Mom could hit with it shooting off the bow of my boat. I guess it's an actual wall hanger now. Looks good with the bayonet attached. Where was the internet when I needed it?

manuf. Loewe Berlin

better fit and finish than many some guns.. . . . kind of a mind boggler. Oh Yeah, PLUS I ordered it with a phone call and it was mailed to my P.O. Box in secret cove. maybe the last act of freedom available at that time.

:) grizz
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"now you tell me. I shot my 1895 Chilean 7x57 Mauser with modern ammo in it."
--Grizz

Wasn't the 7x57 Mauser designed as a smokeless cartridge firing a full metal patched/jacketed bullet from the 'get go'??

In one of my single shot rifle books, there was a reference to one Pope's barrels or to the rifle Pope himself shot and the amount of wear. If I recall correctly, the barrel dimensions were stamped on the underside of the barrel and years later the barrel was slugged.Slug measurement showed minimal barrel wear from lead bullets.

Some interesting information here:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showth ... -big-doubt

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial ... els/367671
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Ray Newman wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:36 pm "now you tell me. I shot my 1895 Chilean 7x57 Mauser with modern ammo in it."
--Grizz

Wasn't the 7x57 Mauser designed as a smokeless cartridge firing a full metal patched/jacketed bullet from the 'get go'??

In one of my single shot rifle books, there was a reference to one Pope's barrels or to the rifle Pope himself shot and the amount of wear. If I recall correctly, the barrel dimensions were stamped on the underside of the barrel and years later the barrel was slugged.Slug measurement showed minimal barrel wear from lead bullets.

Some interesting information here:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showth ... -big-doubt

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial ... els/367671
Enjoyed that, thank you 😁
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I wonder how copper plated bullets would be…?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ray Newman wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:36 pm Wasn't the 7x57 Mauser designed as a smokeless cartridge firing a full metal patched/jacketed bullet from the 'get go'??
_002.jpeg
I have no idea about the get go. But about barrel wear, I think lead bullets are self lubricating in a way, but maybe not. One article said lead is more malleable than copper, maybe that eases its passage. The info that Pope rounded the edges of the lands is a mystery... I didn't see what his velocities were.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/conten ... mm-mauser/ good article

grizz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.