Any thoughts on the new Marlins?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Any thoughts on the new Marlins?

Post by sore shoulder »

Sold my JM SS Guide Gun years ago, still have 1895M, but really liking the looks of the new ones and hoping they are better than the Remlins. I handled a couple Remlins up in Cody when they first dropped and I'm pretty sure they were made by a Pakistani with a file. Anyway I kinda wanna make one of those tactical abominations and put a can on it. Dont kill me. Also thinkin I'd like another 1894 in .357. Anyway, thoughts? Experience?
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Any thoughts on the new Marlins?

Post by Blaine »

If ya gotta, ya gotta. New ones are $$$$. Truck guns that clean up pretty good always interest me. :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My 1894 Marlin in 357 with the threaded muzzle is one of my favorite firearms. I have a Liberty Cans mystic that I upgraded to Infiniti specifications that I use on it sometimes.
I have a Ranger Precision stock and Streamlight green laser/light on it at the moment.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:44 am .
My 1894 Marlin in 357 with the threaded muzzle is one of my favorite firearms. I have a Liberty Cans mystic that I upgraded to Infiniti specifications that I use on it sometimes.
I have a Ranger Precision stock and Streamlight green laser/light on it at the moment.
Still waiting for my suppressor to be released from it's gov. lockdown, but I have to say that it is a fantastic little carbine. Shoots and feeds anything, even semi-wadcutters.
Once I get the suppressor on it, it will be the primary "yard gun". Neighbors aren't too close, but close enough that I can't go pounding away at varmints without someone, namely the weirdo raging alcoholic next door from calling the Sheriff.

I've handled a couple of the new Ruger-Marlins, but haven't bought one yet.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Turdyturdy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Turdyturdy »

Yup, best Marlins ever. Everything the new Henry’s aren’t, mainly reliable out of the box and no need for return flight.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

There is no downside to the new Marlins for Me. I have many JM Marlins that I bought before they were sold to Remington . I expect the new guns will work right and shoot well. seems like a lot of coin to lay out for a levergun but look at what a new house , truck , Jeep or anything else costs today.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The downside to the new Marlins for me is that I will never, ever be able to pay $1,699 for one, nor would I want to.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

sore shoulder wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:01 pm I handled a couple Remlins up in Cody when they first dropped and I'm pretty sure they were made by a Pakistani with a file.
I'm still recovering from that sentence ... a visual just popped into my head and I couldn't stop laughing.

Is Remington still around? I know they were sucked up by some conglomerate which is usually the death knell.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

I agree seems a lot to pay for a lever gun, I am retired and on fixed budget, and seems awful pricey to me
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

But then the older MARLINS , before Remington messed em up, are pretty pricey too
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Truth is they have all gone up significantly over the last couple of years. Some more than others no doubt, market bubbles and panic buying takes it's toll too.

Bout the only well known manufacturer of lever rifles that is cheaper than the new Marlins and Henry that I can think of is Rossi. And those are selling for a good bit more than they did just a couple years ago too. They are priced now where your average Henry centerfire was 5 years ago.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I've read nothing but very positive comments by enthusiasts who have purchased the new Ruger/Marlin leverguns. Most comments have been about the 1895 models ; excellent fit & finish, smooth cycling, accurate.
I've read similar comments about the new 336 30-30 by the few who have actually handled and shot them.
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

but being retired on a fixed budget, seems pricey. 1700 dollars. Now if I could just find someone who still does lay a way, that too seems a thing of the past. And most dealers around here don't do financing
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

oldebear1950 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:08 pm I agree seems a lot to pay for a lever gun, I am retired and on fixed budget, and seems awful pricey to me
Figure the value of a dollar for many of us is about a sixth of what it was when we were kids (or less, for the old guys on here... :wink: ). I remember buying gas for $0.25 a gallon, same as a loaf of bread. A brick of 500 22 LR's was $6.50 the first time I bought one. So although leverguns are increasing in popularity recently, so some price increase happened from that, much of that is 'inflation'. The other fact is that bolt action and semiautomatic firearms have gotten cheaper, because both are easy to make not-that-great versions of that will still do the job. Leverguns are just more difficult to make so they haven't had the relative price decrease of guns like the Savage bolt actions or AR-15 generics.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Yes and 7-8 years ago those ARs were 900-1500 bucks and used Marlins & Winchesters were everywhere for 300-450. Two years later, S&W MP15s were under 500 bucks.

Something has changed alright, but it ain't manufacturing techniques of one versus the other. It's a buying frenzy fueled by $1300 + $300 marked-up MSRPs and decreasing numbers of discontinued Winchesters and Marlins. So what used to be a truck or barn 30-30 is suddenly a $900 and up 'rare collector's item'- and people are buying them. The first rule of business is 'Charge what the traffic will bear'.

And really, business is all were talking about here. If guys want to line up and drop $1500+ for today's Marlins, more power to 'em. I've got a couple of good lever actions and those will do me fine.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Sarge, you hit the nail on the head, and the AR market is a prime example. I hope the market softens on the good levers, but with MARLIN officially out of business all those old JM rifles and carbines will bring a premium. I am just glad I have a few!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

True, the current cost for the new Marlins is a bit much for most of us, but once production catches up (supply : demand), my guess is the Marlin 336 will settle in at a more realistic retail cost. Where this average cost ends up, we'll see. If the "gotta have it now" crowd want to spend recklessly, go for it !
As Marlin introduces new models, we'll watch this nonsense repeat itself. I'll wait for a Model 1894 ; 357.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

well, uh,
Screenshot 2023-04-28 075843-inflation since then.png
this data is a crock, actually. notice the 'value' for 2023. that's poppycock...,
the principle is the same, the buying power of our money is dissolved by dot gov policies rather than by markets....
that said, gold touched $2020 recently. if i sold an oz on that date, i could buy a $1700 gun and have $320
left over. If i paid $320 for that oz I will have gotten a gun and my original cost back, or a new gun for $320.
that is how commodities function as inflation busters. doesn't have to be gold. a few drums of copper n brass scrap will buy new guns too, if you sell the peaks of the scrap markets . . . i know someone who sold 4000# of bronze that was scrounged . . , copper periodically has exquisite price runs, you can bank on it.
we more or less have done this with guns and lead and ammo over the years. when something of value seems cheap, stock up. i remember all the $320 leverguns i didn't buy, but Six did . . . and the other collectors . . .

kudos to all of them.

btw, i have 500 pounds of high grade sculpture quality bronze if anyone wants to trade for a new Marlin! :lol:

grizz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Grizz wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:16 am...btw, i have 500 pounds of high grade sculpture quality bronze if anyone wants to trade for a new Marlin! :lol:

grizz
My 900 lbs of lead (WWs) is probably of more use to me... but thanks for the offer!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Griff wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:37 pm
Grizz wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:16 am...btw, i have 500 pounds of high grade sculpture quality bronze if anyone wants to trade for a new Marlin! :lol:

grizz
My 900 lbs of lead (WWs) is probably of more use to me... but thanks for the offer!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one. However, the bronze can make solids that won't deform, more of a huge game hunting type deal........ :wink:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The only deficit I've seen or read about is the price tags. The new Ruger made Marlins are getting rave reviews.
I personally would not call them "the best Marlins ever" as the old Marlins cover 1875-Rem. era, and I personally can't put a new Ruger-Marlin above any old Marlin built before WWII! Those will always be the "best Marlins ever" for me.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

While I would like to get a Marlin in .357 Mag, the current prices are making me realize that my .30-30 is capable of everything I want to do. I might just stick with what I have, and stock up on components instead.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
windy
Levergunner

Post by windy »

I still haven't seen any reason at all to buy a new one when the old ones are still available, much better, and cheaper. My 336A Ballard-rifled 30-30 will be one of the last rifles I part with, and with the lever-E ammo it's like shooting the 300 savage I sold. Shoots everything from 100gr half-jackets to 190gr pulled 303 Savage bullets well.
windy
sonny, whar i growed up, "magnum" wuz another word fer "lousy hunter".
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

windy wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:50 am I still haven't seen any reason at all to buy a new one when the old ones are still available, much better, and cheaper. My 336A Ballard-rifled 30-30 will be one of the last rifles I part with, and with the lever-E ammo it's like shooting the 300 savage I sold. Shoots everything from 100gr half-jackets to 190gr pulled 303 Savage bullets well.
windy
Depends where you're at.
Marlin leverguns have been popular here in the Upper Midwest, however, in recent years I have seen very few for sale.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

The gun manufacturers are making a killing on semi-autos of all sorts. They are in business to make money and satisfy stockholders so the smaller sales volume of leverguns and revolvers will dictate smaller production numbers and therefor higher prices for the guns that we on this forum enjoy. Based on the way this country is moving, it's doubtful that the black guns market will ever be saturated. One can only hope...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Well, the way things are going is not good for anything in my price range for anything at all. I have enough to make do. I am beyond need, and can use what I have for anything in the Americas. Want is still an issue.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost