Shooting A Marlin 1894 Cowboy Classic 45 Colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Shooting A Marlin 1894 Cowboy Classic 45 Colt

Post by Rube Burrows »

Still don’t know to embed the videos here but I made this video yesterday.

https://youtu.be/HwbTFQ4PnG8
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shooting A Marlin 1894 Cowboy Classic 45 Colt

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Nice. You need to find a sight blank for that empty dovetail or or maybe a flip-up leaf and can be used in a pinch.

Come to think of it, that front sight is pretty tall. I'm not sure what model flip-up would fit the bill for that.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Looks like keeper to me... :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I have one just like it except that it has a Skinner receiver sight. Wonderful gun; one of my favorites.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:47 pmNice. You need to find a sight blank for that empty dovetail or or maybe a flip-up leaf and can be used in a pinch.
Absolutely.
Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:47 pmCome to think of it, that front sight is pretty tall. I'm not sure what model flip-up would fit the bill for that.
It's a tapered octagon bbl... so that standard rear sight should work.
DSCN0465.JPG
I cut mine down to 17", then refitted the carrier to handle the Cowboy45Special. I wish it were a little smoother, but I've not learned how to do that on a Marlin. I'll have to study Maraurder's site on slickin' up a Marlin a little more.
DSCN0460.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:47 pm Nice. You need to find a sight blank for that empty dovetail or or maybe a flip-up leaf and can be used in a pinch.

Come to think of it, that front sight is pretty tall. I'm not sure what model flip-up would fit the bill for that.

For sure. I was planning on putting a blank in there but now that you mention it a flip up sight would possibly be a better option.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:22 am Looks like keeper to me... :mrgreen:

Thanks. Shot pretty well with those very mild loads.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Walt wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:36 am I have one just like it except that it has a Skinner receiver sight. Wonderful gun; one of my favorites.
I have wanted to try a skinner sight on one of my rifles but just haven't bought one yet. Thinking about putting one on my 94AE.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Griff wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:38 pm
Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:47 pmNice. You need to find a sight blank for that empty dovetail or or maybe a flip-up leaf and can be used in a pinch.
Absolutely.
Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:47 pmCome to think of it, that front sight is pretty tall. I'm not sure what model flip-up would fit the bill for that.
It's a tapered octagon bbl... so that standard rear sight should work.
DSCN0465.JPG
I cut mine down to 17", then refitted the carrier to handle the Cowboy45Special. I wish it were a little smoother, but I've not learned how to do that on a Marlin. I'll have to study Maraurder's site on slickin' up a Marlin a little more.
DSCN0460.JPG

This Marlin is smooth as butter but I am not the one who did the action job. I had it done by someone local who owed me some work.

Do any of you have a recommendation on where to find a nice flip up rear sight for this rifle?
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

A Lyman #16 perhaps? Not sure which height is correct for your rifle.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:14 am A Lyman #16 perhaps? Not sure which height is correct for your rifle.
Thanks, I will look into them. I am not sure the height either. Not sure how to determine that other than trial and error.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Rube Burrows wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:19 am
Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:14 am A Lyman #16 perhaps? Not sure which height is correct for your rifle.
Thanks, I will look into them. I am not sure the height either. Not sure how to determine that other than trial and error.
Griff might know. Or Lyman may have a guide for that model. Griff mentioning the barrel taper complicates it a bit.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

My 45Colt x 24" is fitted with a skinner front sight and a Marlin Rear Folding. Off the bench, I can break clays on the 100 yard berm, say 110 yards, with monotony. I have taken wtd, axis, turkey, bobcat and other varmints with the Lee 255, homemade loob, and Unique. It is my favorite levergun with same model in 357 coming in second.
These are possibly the finest Marlin Rifles made in the last 50+ years.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

WOW, nice rifle. I always wanted a Marlin in .45 Colt to go with my .44 Mag Trapper, woods walking gun in the lower 48.
It is not the critic who counts
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

TomF wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:14 am My 45Colt x 24" is fitted with a skinner front sight and a Marlin Rear Folding. Off the bench, I can break clays on the 100 yard berm, say 110 yards, with monotony. I have taken wtd, axis, turkey, bobcat and other varmints with the Lee 255, homemade loob, and Unique. It is my favorite levergun with same model in 357 coming in second.
These are possibly the finest Marlin Rifles made in the last 50+ years.

Nice. I was surprised at how well this one shoots. It's a keeper for sure.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Paladin wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:02 pm WOW, nice rifle. I always wanted a Marlin in .45 Colt to go with my .44 Mag Trapper, woods walking gun in the lower 48.
I have several lever guns in 45 Colt as its one of my favorite calibers. This one may be the best shooting one though with a Rossi Hartford model coming in second.