Ruger Super Wrangler

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Ruger Super Wrangler

Post by JimT »

20230405021014642cd8862fb00.jpg
20230405021052642cd8ac545ea.jpg
Steel frame and better sights plus comes with 2 cylinders, the 22 LR and 22 Magnum
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JimT on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger Super Rangler

Post by TedH »

I haven't been interested in the Wrangler, but I may need to pick one of these up.
NRA Life Member
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Very interested. Just saw Sootch's review this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRWTTy6fqBc
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The .22 Long Rifle cylinder has a line around it to distinguish it from the .22 Magnum cylinder. (from John Taffin)
2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger Super Wrangler

Post by Streetstar »

So, it sounds like a cheaper Single Six more so than an upgraded wrangler. I Sold my single six convertible a few years ago. This looks like a great replacement, although I didn’t shoot it much and haven’t really missed it. 6 rounds of :22 goes by way too fast and takes too long to reload. Of course I can say the same thing about topping off 30 round 10/22 magazines too :shock: Makes me feel like I need a man servant any time I go to the range with one of those

No doubt there will be side to side comparisons soon

My convertible Six blued was around $380 13 years ago. I completely lost interest in replacing it when I saw current prices hovering around $650 but if this one is in the $300ish range I,m in. I like the Wrangler too

I know I said in my thread on my new bedazzled python that that would be my last purchase for a while but I already caved in. The store had a trapper length Henry That I had a perceived need for as I have boxes and boxes of 22 shorts. Either Wrangler would be a fun companion piece for it

Since this is a lever guns forum, I’ll post pics of the Henry as soon as I can pick it up and take it home
----- Doug
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

OK I want it already. Sort-of. Commenters are ga'ga over "adjustable sights". Really? on a 22 revolver? Why?

I honestly don't get that. I have guns that I regulated the sights on years ago. The bullets still go to the same place every time. Will users of the super change the sight settings when they swap cylinders? Or is it needed to challenge the white buffalo? Or offset crosswind?

I know, I know superglue will fix it. But WHY?

:lol:

Oh, and another thing . . . I see people shooting right handed using their right thumb to cock the hammer. Really? I have always crossed my left thumb over the right thumb and use lefty to catch the hammer in recoil and cock it as the muzzle drops out of recoil.

OF COURSE I know the 22 doesn't recoil. But as a poll, how many right handed shooters use which thumb to cock the hammer? A curious mind wants to know . . . I realize that shooting one-handed, well, I realize I never did shoot my 44mag one-handed... maybe I should borrow it back from daughter and try that once. :lol: sometimes I crack myself up :!:

which puts me in the market for the regular wrangler because, well, I don't have any 22wm ammo . . . and not interested in moveable sights enough to want a 22mag revolver...

and thanks,
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I want the adjustable sights to be able to zero with various makes and types of .22 ammo, and especially when switching between .22LR and .22 WMR.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I cock a single action with my right thumb when I am shooting right handed, one hand. And when I am shooting left handed, two hands.

I cock a single action with my left thumb when shooting a single action with two hands. If you practice you can get two or three shots off as fast or faster than any autoloader or double action.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My single six went down the road 30 years ago to off set the purchase of the .32 single six which became my 44 special single five.
I'd get a wrangler but I really don't like the colors. Besides I much prefer my K22!!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I'll probably pick up the Super Wrangler since I already have the first issue Wrangler. The summer they came out I was at the ranch store and they were on sale for $179 for the Fourth of July - how does a guy pass that up? The 5 1/2" barrel on the new version is my favorite length for general use too.

In answer to the informal poll, I cock with the support hand thumb shooting two handed but do practice cocking on the drawstroke with the strong hand. I'm not a CAS shooter but I like to play with the slip hammer technique too.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Grizz wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:39 am But as a poll, how many right handed shooters use which thumb to cock the hammer? A curious mind wants to know . .
Right handed, use right thumb

Never felt compelled to be in a situation where i needed rapid fire with any of the single actions i have had, but it sounds like a neat trick to work on next time i get a chance
----- Doug
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:43 am I cock a single action with my left thumb when shooting a single action with two hands. If you practice you can get two or three shots off as fast or faster than any autoloader or double action.
shooting two handed do you overlap left thumb over right? this is my hunting grip: right thumb locked to frame by left thumb. this is very practical and fast as you say for a follow up shot.

but this grip messed me up when i got some semi-autos and needed to rearrange the thumbs to prevent slices.... LOL

grizz
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

This is the way I've done it since I was a teenager ... more than 60 years ..
IMG_5103.JPG
and I learned (the hard way) to just change the thumbs slightly on the 1911
IMG_5104.JPG
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That old 1911 teaches a harsh lesson about thumbs -- as does a Ruger .22 auto. :lol:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:21 am That old 1911 teaches a harsh lesson about thumbs -- as does a Ruger .22 auto. :lol:
I have watched quite a few people fold their left thumb over top of the right, behind the slide on various semi-autos, and learn a valuable lesson. Knowing what's coming it has been hard not to say something, but experience is an excellent teacher! :lol:

I bought my first 1911 when I was 14 or 15. And I learned quickly. AND .. the lesson has stuck all these years! :D
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I've always used my left thumb shooting with both hands, even with double action revolvers. My qualifying scores showed no detriment... :D
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Cocking with the gun hand is the fastest way to get into action for me. Follow up shots with the support thumb cocking are pretty fast. Double fisting is pretty quick too! I can shoot and cock pistols with either hand, but am better with my right and best with the gun in my right and supported by my left.

I don’t really care about 22wmr in a handgun although the convertible concept is neat. I have never fired a 22 mag in my life. Adjustable sights are good since 22 is notorious for putting different brands, weights, and loads to different poi. Then if you want to shoot shorts, longs, CBS etc. plus the things I may want to shoot with a 22 may be a lot smaller than with larger slugs.

I got my grandmama’s Single Six when my dad passed last year. It does not have a mag cylinder, is a 70s era New Model 5.5 inch and the finish is badly worn, I mean it looks 100 years old but has a very slick action. I will probably get a factory refinish for almost what a standard Wrangler costs. The little Birdshead Wrangler may be a nice addition later
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I kind of prefer the sight picture from the adjustable sights. I never did do much good on targets with the scraped out channel of a fixed sight revolver. I just use fixed sight revolvers for snap shooting or when the target is close. Being a neither eye dominant, naturally left hander beaten into using my right hand, I need the square sights to see where the barrel is pointing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Shooting a .22 magnum in a handgun provides about the same velocity as a .22 lr in a rifle; maybe a little bit more. The downside is that they're very loud.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

i found the .22 Magnum out of the sixgun to be superior when it came to long shots or when it came to shooting something larger ... deer size. My Dad opened up one chamber on his old Single Six to .22 Magnum. You have to keep the hammer down on an empty chamber, so why not? Carry a few in your pocket if you need the extra power.

The Magnum chamber is marked so it is easy to see.
im006366.jpg
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Dang, Jim, your dad was a very resourceful fella.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:31 am Dang, Jim, your dad was a very resourceful fella.
Yessir he was. He had a knack of making complicated things simple. Living through the Depression he knew how to make things work. He told me when I was young that he was taught, "Use it up. Wear it out. Make it do or do without." I have never forgotten it.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I like the idea of having one chamber reserved for the .22 Magnum cartridge.

Don’t sell the.22 Magnum short. Even in very short barrels this is a pretty effective cartridge.

https://youtu.be/EgMKzPPcYnI
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:18 pm I like the idea of having one chamber reserved for the .22 Magnum cartridge.

Don’t sell the.22 Magnum short. Even in very short barrels this is a pretty effective cartridge.

https://youtu.be/EgMKzPPcYnI
Mom had a 22wm derringer in her purse and a revolver in a holster attached to the steering column of her T-Bird :!: