Ever Wonder Where The Term 'Dum Dum Bullet' Came From?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Ever Wonder Where The Term 'Dum Dum Bullet' Came From?

Post by COSteve »

The term 'Dum Dum' bullets has been used to describe expanding point bullets for as long as I can remember. When we were kids, we'd take a lead .22lr bullet and scribe an X in the tip to allow them to open up better when hunting squirrels.

Anyway, I was wondering where the name for them originated and I found a Wikipedia section giving the history of the Hollow-point bullet. It turns out that the British developed the Hollow-point bullet in 1890 and it was first produced in India and called an "Express Bullet" because they were hollowed out to make them lighted and therefore faster, not for their expansion capability.

The town they were produced in is near Calcutta and is named Dum Dum. So now you know.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ever Wonder Where The Term 'Dum Dum Bullet' Came From?

Post by jeepnik »

I believe the name Dum Dum was that of the arsenal that produced them.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

jeepnik wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:51 pm I believe the name Dum Dum was that of the arsenal that produced them.
From Wikipedia:
"Dum Dum is a city and a municipality of North 24 Parganas district in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is a part of the area covered by Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority (KMDA) and a vital locality in Kolkata Metropolitan Area."

And your are also correct. Dum Dum arsenal is in Dum Dum, India.
Steve
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Also, Dum Dum has become a derisive term for someone with nothing inside his head.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

And the bangalore Torpedo was invented by a British Engineer who served with the Indian troops stationed at Bangalore, India.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

piller wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:20 pm Also, Dum Dum has become a derisive term for someone with nothing inside his head.
I looked Dumb up and legally, a dumb person is one who cannot speak. A person who is mute.

As to intelligence, they use to use 3 terms to denote retarded people; Idiot, Imbecile, and Moron. Roughly speaking, an Idiot had an IQ between 0 and 25, an Imbecile had an IQ between 26 and 50, and a Moron had an IQ of between 51 and 70.

These terms were popular in psychology as associated with intelligence on an IQ test until around the 1960s. They were then replaced with the terms mild retardation, moderate retardation, severe retardation, and profound retardation. In addition to this, other factors besides IQ are now used in diagnosing these levels of mental deficiency.
Steve
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I had an old dictionary that still contained those definitions for idiot, moron, etc. There were a whole bunch of other non-PC things in it too. I think the wife tossed it out at some point, evidently I had too much fun reading it.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

COSteve wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:46 pm
piller wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:20 pm Also, Dum Dum has become a derisive term for someone with nothing inside his head.
I looked Dumb up and legally, a dumb person is one who cannot speak. A person who is mute.

As to intelligence, they use to use 3 terms to denote retarded people; Idiot, Imbecile, and Moron. Roughly speaking, an Idiot had an IQ between 0 and 25, an Imbecile had an IQ between 26 and 50, and a Moron had an IQ of between 51 and 70.

These terms were popular in psychology as associated with intelligence on an IQ test until around the 1960s. They were then replaced with the terms mild retardation, moderate retardation, severe retardation, and profound retardation. In addition to this, other factors besides IQ are now used in diagnosing these levels of mental deficiency.
Have you never heard anyone referred to as a Dum Dum?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Yes I have and even used it myself, however, that doesn't change the fact that the formal definition of the word dumb is someone who can't speak.
Steve