Nice little collection

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Nice little collection

Post by marlinman93 »

Got a call from an old friend who asked if I was still doing "the gun thing"? Of course I am, so he asked if his friend could talk to me about some guns he planned to sell. So this morning I drove the hour drive to his farm to look at what he had.
I immediately realized he was hoping I'd buy a couple or whatever, so he began hauling them out to the kitchen table. He had 4 rifles, and an old break open single shot shotgun. There were two Savage 99's and the two were quite different. One was his for the last 75 years, and the other was his dad's gun. Said he only has a daughter, and she didn't want any of the guns. Both 99's were the same .250-3000 cartridge, but one a 1930 vintage takedown, and the other a solid frame 1950 vintage. Both unfortunately had recoil pads installed, but at least the work was well done. No other mods to the takedown, but the deluxe 99 had scope bases added, a sling, and an old Weaver K3 scope. Also about a dozen little notches filed just behind the grip cap to count deer taken with it. The takedown just a Lyman tang sight, so it was fairly original. The deluxe has nice checkering, upgraded wood, and cheekpiece stock. Too bad it has the mods done to it.
He had a Winchester 1890 that was a very nice gun, with a perfect .22LR bore, and excellent wood. But almost no finish left on the metal. After a few minutes I realized why it was .22LR, and such a great bore. It had been factory rebarreled, likely in the 1920's since the barrel read, "Model 90" on it. It had a Lyman tang sight also.
A 2nd Winchester .22 was a Model 67A single shot that is pretty minty inside and out! It has a first year Weaver A4 scope, and a very unusual 27" barrel! Most were 20" or 24", so pretty neat to see the long barreled version!
The shotgun is an Iver Johnson 16ga. and in wonderful shape! All the bluing, and brilliant case colors. Just a few freckles on the left side of the receiver from maybe sweaty hand?
We discussed values, and I ended up taking the whole bunch. He then dug out a cardboard box full of ammo. A dozen boxes of .250-3000, plus maybe another dozen boxes of fired brass. About 1000 rds. of .22LR Western brand ammo, about 5 boxes of 16 ga. shotshells, a few boxes of .38 Specials, and some misc. other ammo, and cleaning supplies.
Really interesting fella who is the 3rd generation living on the same 75 acre farm, in a 100 year old farm house. We spent more time talking about his history on the farm than we did talking guns. Just a great day with a nice guy, and I'll be back just to visit again soon.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Nice little collection

Post by ollogger »

Great story on the guns & the farm! glad you now have the guns, the 250-3000 is a fine little cartridge
its one of my favorites

ollogger
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

ollogger wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:13 pm Great story on the guns & the farm! glad you now have the guns, the 250-3000 is a fine little cartridge
its one of my favorites

ollogger
I've owned maybe 9-10 Savage rifles. Two 1895's, and the rest various 99's. Had a couple .250-3000 and always thought it was not just one of savage's best cartridges, but overall one of the best cartridges ever designed. It can do just about anything from deer or varmints. In a bolt action it shines even more!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Off of a Model G deluxe ....1925....no splits, cracks, or unsightly marks.....has most of the original varnish…..cheap……….

Original butt plate whose number matches the stock

Last edited by Sixgun on Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have never owned, or even handled, a Savage 99, but I would be interested to do so at some point.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

:mrgreen:
Nice windfall there. All great guns. Havent played with a 99 yet, but .250 would be my first choice. Missed out on a .22 Hi-Power a while back.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Great score! Glad you saved those classic firearms from who knows what fate.

even cooler that two of them are 250-3000 savage 99s.

I got a 1952 savage 99 in 300 savage a few years ago and liked it so much that I bought a twin (also 1952) rifle in 250-3000, both with weaver scopes

the 250 is very sweet to shoot and has no appreciable recoil

are any of the empty ammo boxes 87 grain by chance?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:43 pm .
I have never owned, or even handled, a Savage 99, but I would be interested to do so at some point.
Savage 99 is one of the great lever guns. shot first deer on the Mogollon Rim with a 99 in 243. Daughter made lots of meat in AK with her 300, and I found her a .308 that I passed on..., [stupid I know]... that 308 has to be high on the list of one-gun prospects... it could use an actual recoil pad!

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'll try to get some pictures taken today. The 1950 Savage 99 puzzles me a bit. I at first thought the scope holes were added, but I noticed the Savage rollstamp is off to one side of the receiver ring, so I believe it was factory D&T for scope bases. The stock with cheekpiece also puzzles me, as I can't find any images of deluxe stocks with a cheekpiece for this era?
The 1890 Winchester wasn't staying cocked when working the pump action, and the hammer followed the breech block closed. I tore it down and it was clean inside, but very dry. I oiled the areas that should have oil, and reassembled it, and it functions perfectly now. It appears to have been factory rebarreled, but so long go that the finish on barrel and action match perfectly. There are strange numbers on the face of the receiver, below the mag tube? Not a Winchester guy, so not sure what they mean? They are "9 A 14" spaced about this way. No idea if this has something to do with the rebarrel, or what? The gun is in the 190,000 range, so early 1900's.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

FLINT wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:39 am Great score! Glad you saved those classic firearms from who knows what fate.

even cooler that two of them are 250-3000 savage 99s.

the 250 is very sweet to shoot and has no appreciable recoil

are any of the empty ammo boxes 87 grain by chance?
All of the loaded ammo boxes, and empty boxes are 100 gr. Seems the owner must have liked that bullet? He told me he and his dad used these two for deer hunting, but that he had also taken his .250-3000 for elk hunting too. That surprised me a lot as I can't imagine taking an elk down with this cartridge and 100 gr. bullets. He said he never shot one, so never got to find out how it would have worked!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Took some pictures of the group of guns:
Savage 99's

Winchester 1890

Win. 67A

Iver Johnson

Surprised they all cleaned up great, and even the small mar the Savage deluxe stock had disappeared with just furniture polish, and buffing. They were just surface marks and nothing more!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

That's a nice "period correct" collection indeed! A couple of men purchased a couple of rifles and fitted them up for their own use. I hate to see folks take one that's made it this far in history unmodified and add a bunch of current stuff to it. But seeing rifles fixed up "back in the day" with the typical fittings available then bring up the cliché, "if only those rifles could talk."
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Real fine firearms . . . I get nostalgic every time I see the 99s, thanks.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

That's quite a stock on that newer 99!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Neat stuff. Big fan of the .250 Savage as well.

Have fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Never fired or seen one fired, but that 250 has a good reputation. Back when it came out, it had to be good in order to build that kind of reputation.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That stock whispers FAJEN or maybe even Bishop to me. Just the lines of the cheek piece seem right for it, also the finish seem to have more shine. Who knows, might be marked under the butt plate.
Very nice and ya made a new friend, that's always good!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:28 pm That stock whispers FAJEN or maybe even Bishop to me. Just the lines of the cheek piece seem right for it, also the finish seem to have more shine. Who knows, might be marked under the butt plate.
I think you're correct as to the 1950 gun having an aftermarket stock. Maybe Fajen or Bishop, but most who've seen it think it's not a factory Savage buttstock. The fit is perfect, so whoever fitted it did great work. I may pull the recoil pad just to see if there's any markings?

I just went through my copy of the Winchester book by Madis and as usual pretty disappointed by what he doesn't address in his book. Hoped to find some info about the letters and numbers on the receiver face of the 1890, but no mention of any markings beyond normal rollstamps on barrels and tangs.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

This 99 is the perfect example of ' if it could only talk ' . It might tell you it's previous owner might of had his horse trip and tumble down a hill breaking the stock. Or he had a deformity in his jaw preventing a proper cheek weld. Sadly we may never know ( unless you question the previous owner?
Still it's a good find and you done good sir!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Nice guns. As far as I am aware all Model 67 Winchesters were 27" barrel unless it is a youth model.
Click Click Boom
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I've been cogitating on that Winchester 67A. I'm not clear on what changed between the 67 and 67A, but believe they both had the same 27" barrel. There was a youth model as well with a 20" barrel on it. My brother has the old family 67 boy's rifle, but I've never put it next to my 67 to see how it compares other than the obvious barrel length difference.

What I'm VERY curious about is that scope setup. Rich Hoch gave me a 67 he'd cut down for his grand kids. He fitted it with a Mossberg 4X in a side mount and had to modify the bolt to get it to work. He also eliminated the safety as the scope sits too low for it to function. If you get a chance, I'd love to see pics of how that scope is set up on the rifle.

The 67 has been a favorite of mine going way back to the 70's. My cousin had one and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. It figured in a lot of our adventures in the Amazon Basin area. It really seemed to reach out past Fort Mudge and was death on the wild pigeons we loved to hunt, seeming to plunk that bullet right where you were looking each time. Then I picked one up at a gun show and Rich Hoch gave me the other. That cut off one is handy as can be. I'd keep it on the back floor boards of the car and carried a few rounds in my shirt pocket. Driving up the farm road (private property) I could bring that rifle to bear out the window and take care of the prairie dogs and muskrats and other vermin that would pop up along the way.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Vall,
The 67 came standard with a 27" barrel
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

jdad wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:44 am Vall,
The 67 came standard with a 27" barrel
Yes, but the 67A came with 20", 24", or 27" barrels. And once they offered the 20" and 24" most people didn't want the 27". The vast majority of 67A's were sold with the 24" barrel I've seen.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:40 am This 99 is the perfect example of ' if it could only talk ' . It might tell you it's previous owner might of had his horse trip and tumble down a hill breaking the stock. Or he had a deformity in his jaw preventing a proper cheek weld. Sadly we may never know ( unless you question the previous owner?
Still it's a good find and you done good sir!
Since it's been in the same family since new, I thought he'd know why the stock was changed. So I asked if he knew and he said he thought his dad changed it when it was fairly new to work better with the addition of the scope. Bet he left the original stock with whoever did the swap too!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:28 pm That stock whispers FAJEN or maybe even Bishop to me. Just the lines of the cheek piece seem right for it, also the finish seem to have more shine. Who knows, might be marked under the butt plate.
Pulled the buttstock off the newer 99 today, and the fit and inletting is superb. But no signs or markings anywhere to indicate who the maker is.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So much for that theory! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Decided the rubber red recoil pad didn't look right on the earlier 99, so took a trip to Tandy Leather yesterday to purchase some thin hide. I found lamb skin, and also sheep skin that were both very thin, and easy to stretch over without wrinkling. The lamb skin was a whopping $59 for a 24"x30" piece, but sheep skin was only $19 for the same, and felt so close that I went the cheaper route.
Pulled the pad off, and marked out the backside to ensure I had the size right. Then using 3M spray adhesive on the pad, and the back of the hide, I began to stretch it over the pad. Once I got it wrapped over the exposed pad, I used a razor blade to cut the excess folds on the backside, so the leather would only be one thickness. Took a lot of cutting to remove the excess, but finally got it, and reinstalled it on the back. The color is a medium brown, and matches up nicely with the wood, and looks a lot classier than the rubber pad did.