Pheasant opener

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Pheasant opener

Post by GunnyMack »

Yesterday started our 2022 season. I didn't go, round 2 of covid struck me this past Tuesday. I wasn't feeling up to it, nor did I want to expose the guys. When I found out this morning there was a surplus of birds today I gathered myself up , loaded both Claro and Parker and off we went.
Sure enough I had the club to myself.
Bells on, check.
Tickle collars on, check.
Ammo, check.
Trusty 28 bore, check.
HUNT EM UP!
Parker flushed a bird off my right- as I'm looking at Claro acting birdy to my left, of course! I turned, and proceeded to miss with both barrels! ( I'm blaming covid) . So we went to where the bird landed in the other field. No soap. Continue along through that field to the far side. Not a bit of fresh bird scent to excite the girls until the far side. There at the backstop Claro locked up( as much as a Lab can) and then she dove under the broken target stand and came out with a big fat hen crippled with a broken wing. Still alive but fox bait without us finding it.
It felt good to take the girls out to earn their kibble :D .
Now I gotta go have a serious conversation with that unruly scattergun! :lol:
20221113_133553.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Pheasant opener

Post by gamekeeper »

Sorry to hear the Chinese pox got you again but at least it gives you an excuse for wasting ammo...glad you got out with the dogs anyway... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Glad you got out. Well done. Covid knocked me for six last time!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thanks John, yes it was good to get out, run the hounds some. As for wasting ammo yes, my left barrel was Winchester factory 5s that would have killed with ease provided the barrel was pointed AT the bird! :lol:
Ah well at least I feel good enough that I can get out bow hunting as well!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds as if you had fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gunny, good on your girls for finding that hen. My wingshooting skills are now so rusty that I decided I needed a trim little Turkish .410 over and under from Academy so that I could blame the gun and no one would question it ... :wink:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

One uncle who stayed at the family farm had a German Shorthair Pointer he named Snoopy. Snoopy sometimes went out into the pasture by himself and retreived wounded pheasants. They had been shot in fields nearby and ran out into that pasture where the cattle were grazing. I guess they felt safe among the cattle. Uncle Homer was able to have over a dozen pheasant one year without firing a shot. Ringneck pheasant can run far and fast if they are not badly wounded.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If there is one thing about Claro it's that she is relentless when it comes to birds. She will not give up, a few years ago I sent her after a cripple into a rose thicket, over blow downs, down a hill. She was out of sight for 15 minutes but she brought that bird back.
Sadly she is starting to show her age, she is stiff and sore today.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

My 9 year old son wants to pheasant hunt so bad. We don't have them here in Louisiana. There were a couple of places that do the guided hunts but they have all closed up with the exception of one that I know of. They only do the European style where you're in a tower and they release them and you shoot them as they fly by. Not exactly what we're looking for.
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

I remember the days here in lancaster co Pa when hunters would come from all bordering states to hunt small game. Sadly we are hard perssed to even see a rabbit in those same fields. There are a couple of bird,"shooting" not hunting , for a cost but they never apealed to me.Same as the "new deer hunting or I mean shooting". To much sit on your office chair and watch trail cams instead of actual scouting and learning.