30-30 Range Day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

30-30 Range Day

Post by Drawdown »

Hard to beat an Oct day at the range, I love this time year! I wanted to just confirm my hunting load for my Mod 64 one more time. But I had run up on a great buy for some Nosler 170gr Partitions back in early summer, so I finally tried them, and with 4 different powders, 4 shot groups each. Along with a reduced load with some Speer 130gr HC I really had only tried once, along with my Hunting Load, Hornady 160FTX &LVR Powder. All loads tested at 62 yds off a good rest, Chronoed.
20221014_114003.jpg
20221014_115431.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 30-30 Range Day

Post by Drawdown »

These are my 4 groups with the Partitions, and all I can say is this rifle seems to love them! I want list the charge, but each load was at or near a recommended 3/4 Max load. Now I'm glad I put out the money for these bullets have a fine reputation. Velocities Speead for each one was less than 18fps different with the exception of the 3031, which I'm used too with it, but it gave the best group, probably less than .75", but the lowest Velocity. The W748 was my first time using with any bullet, also a good velocity and group! The LVR held true with a good group, by far the highest velocity which I've always achieved with this powder, and always very accurate!
20221014_151414.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Next I tried the Speer HC 130gr with a minimum charge for a reduced load, but this bullet I'm sure would be a fine deer bullet with a Max load at higher velocities! Hard to beat a Speer, even my 30-06 loves them!
Last thing I shot my regular Hunting load, Hornady 160FTX & a Max charge of LVR.
It's easy to see why I love this rifle, there's really not a bad load I've found yet in it! It's IMO a Mountain Hunting Rifle beyond most any you can compare!
20221014_151548.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

One note, I used Fort Smith Primers which I got available at my LGS recently. I dud have one misfire, but rechambered, and it fired.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Nice job Drawdown. It is good to have a good rifle that you have good confidence in.

I never heard of "Fort Smith" primers. Can you tell me more about them?

JBowen
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Neither had I.
20221014_183449.jpg
20221014_183420.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

I will inquire about them more the next time I am in Fort Smith. I see they are made in Russia and they may not be available currently.

Thanks for the info,
JBowen

Edit: Here is a link to their site. Every item I checked was out of stock though.
https://fedarm.com/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks drawdown, it nice to see what others do with their .30-30s!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Excellent shooting. 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Nath, have you ever tried that Speer 130g HC in reduced loads? With some of the better reduced loading powders, which I've never ventured, I have no doubt in a lotta rifles it'd be a winner. And also I've never tried yet, pushing this bullet to its max, and I also think it likely it'd be a great deer load. IMO, Speers are the most underrated bullet on market, has a good B.C. for a Levergun bullet, could make a Levergun maybe a better long range gun also, IDK, maybe!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Nice shootin. I see I'm not the only one with a four wheeled shooting bench.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that's good shooting for sure ! ! !
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Drawdown wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:47 am Nath, have you ever tried that Speer 130g HC in reduced loads? With some of the better reduced loading powders, which I've never ventured, I have no doubt in a lotta rifles it'd be a winner. And also I've never tried yet, pushing this bullet to its max, and I also think it likely it'd be a great deer load. IMO, Speers are the most underrated bullet on market, has a good B.C. for a Levergun bullet, could make a Levergun maybe a better long range gun also, IDK, maybe!
I used Speers HC exclusively for year in my 30-30's but only recently got a box I found in a shop of the 130gn.
I have shot a few on viht n135 and I like them. Zippy too.
This was one shot at 100ish off hand.
IMG_20220725_194101.jpg
I've also got 200plus 100gn half jackets by Speer I'm looking forward to loading for small game.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

I do like Speer bullets. Hard to find here, though.

My 257 Roberts loves the 120gr SPBT
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm a bigger fan of the Sierra 125 HPs. I haven't used them on deer, but they'll drop a coyote like nobody's business.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!