Rattling

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Rattling

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

I've had a deer head in the freezer for two years and think maybe I should do something with it pretty soon :P .........I think I'll cut off the two so-so 2PT tines and rattle with them.........Someone tell me if there is one way or the other that works better. I have "The Can Doe Bleater", which I've had luck with. I would think that the combo of the two of them might be better....or not?
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I've had a deer head in the freezer for two years ]

And your wife is where ? :lol: :lol:

My son popped a red fox, encased in a black plastic garbage bag, & stored it in our freezer for a few weeks until his taxidermist was ready for it.

My wife couldn't bring herself to even open the freezer door, until it was gone - She loves having venison & bear meat, but she said the idea of the entire fox in there just creeped her out.
Levergunner 2.0

After two times, I've decided to do the Ladies of the World a favor and remain single and give them all a chance at happiness for a little while. :lol: My sister was here last summer for Daughter's wedding and really lost it when she saw Bambi in there :lol: :lol: :lol:
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Gosh, my mom did taxidermy work for years. You should have seen our freezer.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

it works pretty good when they are in the rut tubby.a little bit goes along way.
pete
DAV life member.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

rattles

Post by rjohns94 »

The quality of the rattles are directly proportional to the size of the antlers being rattled. Using a small rack to make rattles will not result in a quality set of rattles. For rattling in big bucks, you need good size mass of antler to carry tonal quality and depth. IMHO

mike
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

My uncle kept his beloved cat in the game frezer for 9 years, I had forgoten about the story untill you mentioned the fox.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Somewhat larger antlers will probably work better -- not a trophy rack, just something with a bit more mass.

In my experience, rattling is a two-edged sword. I've seen bucks rush in, ready for action. I've also seen them take off like a scalded dog at the sound of the first "tick" of the antlers, apparently headed for the next county.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I saw a video where a guy tried calling a buck with antlers and not much luck. Then he tried some metal substitute which had a crisper click and the buck came right on in.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Just run your chainsaw for a few minutes, or shake your head real hard like a puppy with a sock..,

;)
Levergunner 2.0

Grizz wrote:Just run your chainsaw for a few minutes, or shake your head real hard like a puppy with a sock..,

;)
Not bad, Grizz......Not a fast answer not a slow answer....just a half fast answer :P
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Blaine,
With our seasons being so early here in the NW, rattling doesn't work too well until mid to late November, when they're in the rut.
The doe or fawn call has worked well for me to get them stopped for a shot.
Levergunner 2.0

marlinman93 wrote:Blaine,
With our seasons being so early here in the NW, rattling doesn't work too well until mid to late November, when they're in the rut.
The doe or fawn call has worked well for me to get them stopped for a shot.
I've never rattled.....I did think, tho, that regardless of season, a buck didn't want another around if he was banging around on stuff....
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I never had luck rattleing. Tried real antlers, fake antlers & them sticks in a bag things. I'v heard it works well pre rut as thats when theyre figureing out who's head dog. Once the rut sets in bucks are too busy chaseing does to fight much. It can still work they say because a lonely buck will want to see who alls fighting or whats going on.

I tend to try & be quiet now except to grunt or use my can call.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

It often scares off potential bucks, rather than calling them in. Maybe the most aggressive bucks will want to come in because they think they'll steal a doe while the fight is going on, but usually they steer clear of the frakus.
I am a big advocate of scents, and also scent blockers. I regularly use a drag string with "doe in heat" on a small rag, and spray my clothes with scent blocker to mask human odor. I've had bucks and does follow right behind me.
Levergunner

Post by 9422 »

I agree about it being a 2 edged sword, however it does work well at times.

Start out slow and quite give it a break every once in a while. seems like it worked best pre rut or right at the beginning of it.

Watch out for your hands. We used to use a decent lil 4 point for rattling, but the tips would end up hitting your hands. Never felt it untill you were done rattling and looked at them an saw the blood.

Rattling has never worked for me except on the deer in my yard. However My uncle rattled in a big 4x4 blacktail right at the beginning of the rut. He came in ready to fight, and from the looks of him thats all that deer did. Lots of scars and the tip of every single horn was busted off.