Abilene, TX, area?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Abilene, TX, area?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Considering relocating to Texas, and would prefer to be nearer the "dry side" and close to the Hill Country.
Great-grandparents were married in Buffalo Gap in 1881, and lived in Sweetwater along with Roby and Plemmons, north of Amarillo.
Great-great granddad is buried in Junction. I like the family connection.
Anyone have any thoughts on this part of the Lone Star State?
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: Abilene, TX, area?

Post by wecsoger »

Was there couple times, pre-retirement my co. had a truck terminal on east end of town.

Dry you'll get, but I liked the country. Drove around some, not much in town but outside is nice.

Get on TripAdvisor website and you can pull up lots of info on restaurants, things to do, etc. so you can get a 'feel' for the area.

I remember a nice western museum downtown.

If you like big city to-do's, DFW area only couple hours due east on the interstate. (that's as close as I would want to get to that!)

Lots of interesting small towns around Abilene also

Looked at Amarillo or Lubbock also, or is to far dry for you?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wec, Amarillo is OK -- only been there once. Really like the area around Canyon. Grandmother grew up on the Canadian just a ways north of Amarillo and loved to talk about the "Blue Northers" they used to get.
I liked what I saw of Lubbock, except that it is so dang flat. I admit I am kind of spoiled here in Alamogordo. I am at 4,600 feet, and just a few miles to the east, the Sacramento Mountains rise to over 10,000.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have friends who live outside Buffalo Gap .. to north and west. I spend time there with them every once in awhile. Got some fine hog hunting ... deer .. coyotes .. Abilene is a small town environment .. pretty comfortable. Folks seem to look out for each other. When they got hit by a twister a few years ago, by the time the government showed up to help the town had turned out to help each other and had it pretty well cleaned up.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, good to hear this. Nothing wrong with having the Perini Ranch Steakhouse close at hand, either. 8)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

For those with more experience than I have in Texas, is there appreciably less humidity in Abilene compared to the DFW area?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:22 am For those with more experience than I have in Texas, is there appreciably less humidity in Abilene compared to the DFW area?
humid.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Bill, I could help you move in December or January! :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!