Tom Selleck Model 1873

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WCG
Levergunner

Tom Selleck Model 1873

Post by WCG »

Rare Documented Extremely Early Production Raised Thumbprint Dust Cover, Iconic Hand Engraved Two Digit Serial Number 88 Winchester First Model 1873 Lever Action Rifle with Set Trigger and Factory Letter Published in 1873 Reference Books
Manufacturer: Winchester
Model: 1873
Type: Rifle
Gauge: 44-40 WCF
Barrel: 24 inch octagon
Finish: blue
Grip:
Stock: walnut
Item Interest: Very Active
Serial Number:
Catalog Page: 34
Class: Antique
Description:
Extremely early production serial number 88 Winchester Model 1873 Rifle featuring the desirable and rare raised thumbprint dust cover held in place by two integral guides. No. 88 is pictured in James Gordon's "Winchester's New Model of 1873: A Tribute" on page 173 in Volume I and on page 351 in Volume II as well as listed among the earliest known surviving Model 1873s; just behind nos. 17, 19, 67 and 80 (see pages 173 and 337 in Vol. I). Of the approximately 30,000 First Models manufactured, 75-100 have been estimated to have survived and are known to collectors. No. 88 is one of the earliest two digit serialized Model 1873s in existence. The accompanying factory letter lists this rife with a 24 inch octagon barrel, set trigger, and blued finish when received in the warehouse on January 3, 1874 and shipped on January 26. The rifle is equipped with a dovetail blade front sight and an elevation adjustable rear sight correctly installed in the reverse position. The upper tang is correctly blank and the lower tang is correctly hand inscribed with "Model 1873/88," as featured in the approximate serial number range 1-350. The rifle correctly lacks a caliber designation. The receiver is fitted with a special order set trigger. The top barrel flat is stamped with the two-line address/patent dates marking ahead of the rear sight. The straight grip stock is fitted with a trapdoor crescent buttplate. Comes with a three-piece cleaning rod and a letter of authenticity signed by Tom Selleck confirming it is from his personal collection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tom Selleck Model 1873

Post by OldWin »

Wow.
My wife gave me permission to buy it.

Solely based on the fact she may get to meet the seller. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Wow,.what a piece of history!!!
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Funny, I was just watching Mr. Selleck in "Blue Bloods". The last of weekly broadcast shows Mrs. YK and I watch.

I have seen many of Mr. Selleck's guns at the NRA's National Firearms Museum. I wonder why he is selling this one?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

They are partially wrong in their description...there's a hell of a lot more than 75-100 first models out there. I had one that was really beat up but it shot and fed great.........the receivers are iron ........the thumb print dust covers are rarer than the rifles as most guys popped em off...beware of fakes on the dust covers.......

Just a guess but I bet that original thumb print dust covers (just the cover) will bring a grand......mine didn't have it...

Provenance? Tom Selleck? Ahhh...he's a great guy but too modern.....I'd like to see who really had it.---006
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I think data shows #1-31,000@ were first models with thumb print dust covers. Long way off from the info listed.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:54 pm I have seen many of Mr. Selleck's guns at the NRA's National Firearms Museum. I wonder why he is selling this one?
Maybe his reverse mortgage is past due.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

lthardman wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:22 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:54 pm I have seen many of Mr. Selleck's guns at the NRA's National Firearms Museum. I wonder why he is selling this one?
Maybe his reverse mortgage is past due.
Gary, you owe me a keyboard!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OldWin wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:52 pmWow.
My wife gave me permission to buy it.
Solely based on the fact she may get to meet the seller. :D
My wife would've said the same if it were Sam Elliot...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!