Short Range report w/ the S&W 66-1

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Short Range report w/ the S&W 66-1

Post by 2ndovc »

For those that were interested.

Frosty, but the sun was out and no wind on this 31 degree morning.

Took the new Model 66 and my S&W 327 out for a little fun.
The 66 seemed to like the 180 XTP / 11.5 gr. W 296 load. The rear sight was cranked way up and i forgot to grab a little screwdriver so there's a a couple different groups on the right target. Kinda guessing on the elevation, but there's some nice clusters shooing at 15 yds, one hand.
It did not like the cast 180 grain / 10 gr. IMR 4227 load (center target) that the 327 shoots quite well( left). The 327 will shoot better than that. I was just having fun. Haven't had it out in a while.
Tried a couple of cylinders full of Federal Am. Eagle 158 gr. JFPs. After the smoke and fireball cleared after each shot, all went high of the target. :shock:
I had a box of 130 gr FMJs that my dad gave me. Some re-manufactured junk that was all over the place. Chewed it up with the Model 327 whacking the steel gong. I love that big old 8 shooter!
With a little sight tweaking the 180 XTPs will do for now.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Short Range report w/ the S&W 66-1

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I have a Smith 327 that I had a hard time shooting. Then I replace the front sight with a squared off blade with a tritium/fiber optic insert. Then I replaced the rear sight with the common squared off blade and things started to pick up!

Now it is one of my favorite range guns and it seems to shoot everything well.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Interesting.
I've been thinking about changing the rear sight. I like the gold bead on the front sight though.
I don't know why, but the TR8 and TRR8 like mine have gotten really pricy on the auction sights. One went a week or two ago for over $1500.
They are still listed on the S&W website but don't know if they are still in production or not. It may be like some other companies, turning out mass quantities of little plastic pistols that most people want these days.
I'm usually just blasting around with it. I don't think I've spent any time shooting off a rest to see what it can really do. Going to have to fix that.

jb 8)

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I have a steel IPSC half size target that has a roughly 4 by 4 inch head on it. I can smack that thing in the head dang near every time at 25 yards offhand with my .38 loads in that 327.

With a 5 inch barrel, it gets quite a bit out of the .357 cartridge too. I would feel quite comfortable in most any situation with it on my hip.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My favorite 'available' sights are a ghost ring rear and a front gold bead or fiberoptic. Fast but precise if you take the extra second.

I also made a front post taller, using a roll-pin I drilled out. The rear ghost ring makes a rear 'peep' and the front sight in dim light functions like a regular patridge/post sight, but if you have good light and take the extra time to see your target THROUGH the top of the front post, and that is centered in the rear ghost ring, you WILL hit pretty much whatever you're aiming at. The sight is on an AMT clone of the Ruger Mark-I Target pistol in 22 LR.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Here's another one going for crazy $$
$1900+ w/ four days to go. :shock:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/924239551

jb 8)

Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

2ndovc wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:32 pm I've been thinking about changing the rear sight. I like the gold bead on the front sight though.
An awesome (to me) but pricey (to all) rear sight option with a gold bead is the Bowen Rough Country Shallow Vee sight. I used to have my Ruger GP100 set up that way -- it was fast to acquire and very accurate. To me, sitting the gold bead in the bottom of the vee notch was as quick and foolproof as centering a bead in an aperture.

My S&W 686 SSR Pro Series, which replaced the Ruger, now wears a red fiber optic bead (Dawson Precision) and has a Weigand full-width narrow-notch rear blade.

Old No7

S&W 686 SSR 03.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice, bet the 296 load has a nice fireball. I like mid level 357 loads fir the short barrel revolvers.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The Rough Country sight is at the top of my list. I love the sights on my Bowen SBH.

Todd,
The 296 is one I'd love to have, but this one is a Model 327 /.357 Mag, Still has a pretty good fireball.
It's one of my favorite camp/ trail/ cabin guns. With a streamlight snapped on the underlug, it's perfect around the cabin.
Last fall while I was letting the dog out, he saw a porcupine before I did and took off. I'd just gotten him clipped to the run ( thankfully) but he stopped short when that critter got all puffed up ready for a fight.
I had the .357 on him, but that stinker kept himself between me and my truck so I couldn't shoot. I have a pile of moon clips for it, but I have a hard time loading and unloading them, my left hand is a mess. Found some two shot clips that are pretty slick and I can have a mix of stuff in the cylinder if I want.

jb 8)

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Hard to beat a good .357 revolver.....or levergun.