Making bullets for the 35 Remington

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Making bullets for the 35 Remington

Post by earlmck »

This year in our "Buffalo Shooters" monthly shoot I thought I'd try out my Marlin 336A in 35 Remington for the "big levergun" match. I hadn't got very far along with loading up some try-out loads when I hit the bottom of my bullet supply. Nothing to do but fire up the old Lyman pot and pour a bunch of those 200 grain Lees that are a close copy of the old RCBS 35 Remington bullet. Here's a shot of my set-up
359200a.jpg
Today I wanted to produce both regular lube-sized bullets and a batch of powder-coated. The bucket in lower right is the water bucket for "water-dropping" the bullets I'll conventionally lube. Those to be powder coated I'll pile up on the cloth for air cooling.
359200b.jpg
That 6-cavity Lee is really nice to use (after finally breaking in) and makes a pile of bullets in a short time. The Lyman pot I keep filled with my primary "hard" alloy which is approximately "wheelweights + 2.5% tin". I say approximately because after 50 years of using wheelweights for everything I am officially all out of wheelweight metal and am having to alloy up starting out with some "range scrap" containing a bit of antimony and a smaller bit of tin to which I add some foundry metal and some extra tin, trying for about 94/3/3.

Here we are with the powder coated bullets (shake 'n bake) placed on the mats ready to go into the toaster oven for their bake (I give 'em 20 minutes at the max temp my little oven will produce which is a bit over 450 degrees)
359200c.jpg
And after a fair bit of time in front of the old Star lube-sizer, two batches of bullets
359200d.jpg
And a close-up of the nice little fellows: kinda' nice looking don't you think?
359200e.jpg
I didn't remember doing it but my reloading notes show that I had some very promising groups with the powder-coated bullet pushed out of a Remington 141 pump gun. So I thought I should have some of both bullets to try in the Marlin. They need to be stepping along pretty briskly to get to the 500 yard buffalo without running out of sight elevation with my receiver sight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Making bullets for the 35 Remington

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Watching very closely, maestro. 8)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looking forward to you posting the results.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Try applying some lube to a few powder coated bullets and trying that out. I did in a 35 whelen I once had and was suprised that it did indeed shrink the groups down a bit.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Looks like alot of fun when you get them stuffed in a case!!
I need to cast a bunch but the weather for casting out side has not been good
64 today but windy Wyoming is doing her thing today

Brad
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Good info. Thanks!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Well this didn't happen very fast but I finally got some range time with loads from that bullet-making event.
Here's a pic of the rifle I'll use in the Levergun Buffalo Shoot in a couple of weeks
Marlin35Rem0144.jpg
And the loads I was trying out (these are several different levels using 5744 and the pc (powder coated) bullets
I shot over the chronograph, Accurate's 5744 powder/CCI 250/ Lee bullets about 202 grains
35Rem210Leepc0152.jpg
21.2 grains = 1685 +/- 15 fps 5"/100 yds
22.1 grains = 1686 +/- 13 fps 6"/100 yds
23.0 grains = 1760 +/- 20 fps 3"/100 yds
23.9 grains = 1857 +/- 27 fps 5"/100 yds
25.3 grains = 1833 +/- 30 fps 6"/100 yds

The mediocre shooting results is just what I have to put up with as these over-experienced eyes have made it real tough to test loads using iron sights anymore.
I'll assume that 23.0 load was the best and load a bunch up for to do some shooting. Seems like a good velocity level for cast bullet.

And those are not typos where 21.2 and 22.1 grains shot the same velocity and 25.3 grains gave a bit less than 23.9 grains. That's what the chrony showed and when I pulled some bullets the loads sure do check out. I have had previous times where the next step up in powder didn't gain much velocity but I never before saw a large step like going up over 5% actually giving less velocity. I can't explain it: I just reports it.

holes in targets:
35tgtC.jpg
35tgtB.jpg
35tgtA.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've got a couple of guns I need to do that for! I'm glad someone is getting their stuff done!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Love the rifle, wish I'd gotten into cast!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looks like fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

You probably think Earl must have a very sophisticated formula for coming up with this "ladder" of loads with all those decimal pointed loads. Well there may be a bunch of decimal points in the powder grains, but there were only nice big fat even numbers on the Redding powder measure I used to throw the charges. I started with an even "22" setting (which weighed out 21.2 grains) and then just went up 1 1/2 (which is almost a grain) with each subsequent load except for the last load where I went up 2 1/2 to where I thought I'd get about 2000 fps and got my head-scratcher of more powder giving a lower velocity.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, wishing you luck at that COSSA range buffalo shoot! Hope the weather is kind. We are in the spring wind season down here in the NM desert, and most serious rifle work is virtually impossible.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When I was eaten up with the lever cast thing I cast three bullets for 35 cals be it 35 REM or 356 WIN . All has check designs the RCBS 35-200 and the RD 359-180 and 359-190 . Killed deer with all three bullets .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !