First trip out for B Sheridan 392

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

First trip out for B Sheridan 392

Post by El Chivo »

Well, I'm hooked. I went out with my slicked-up Benjamin Sheridan.

Somehow the rabbits all knew I was coming, and stayed underground. I found a creek bed and set up waiting for non-game birds. I got off plenty of shots, and though I only ruffled a few feathers, had a great time. While waiting for live targets I did a little plinking at rocks and overhanging leaves - something that's illegal to do with a firearm out here.

So it was a real treat to be able to do a little shooting. Most of my trips turn into hikes with no shooting involved, and it does get a little disappointing.

I think this would be the ideal survival tool because you can carry lots of pellets in a small space and you provide the muscle. The rifle is LIGHT. If I was really hunting for food small birds (and lizards) are what's consistently available anyway.

The trigger is very nice, better than on my firearms, and it's not hard to pump up. Pretty easy on the ears. I noticed, after shooting, birds came back fairly quickly, they were not so spooked by the sound. When I discharge a firearm everything leaves the vicinity for good.

Well I'm very happy, now to become a dead-eyed shot with it.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Hobie

Re: First trip out for B Sheridan 392

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

They're under-rated as small game hunting tools, IMHO.

I used the 5mm Sheridan I had to pop a cock Ring-neck Pheasant that had that audacity to fly in & land on a nearby tree branch one Fall day, while I was out woods-loafing.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I have a Benjamin 342 that I used to hunt snowshoe hares and spruce and ruffed grouse and willow ptarmigan 30 years ago. I started with a Crosman 760, but my friend Stan's Benjamin air rifle was much more powerful than my 177. He and I learned to aim very carefully, because a miss meant loading a pellet and quietly pumping the rifle 7 times or more for a second try all while keeping the animal in sight and not scaring it off. My rifle was accurate enough for head shots on hares out to 20 or 25 yards or so. Those were hunting days.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Just remember to leave a couple of pumps of air in the rifle so as to preserve the seals. Check out this link for proper use and storage:

http://www.mac1airgun.com/steriodags.html

Good luck with the gun. They are a lot of fun.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If I could afford a hunting airgun, it would be this one:

Beeman 1092 Interchangeable Caliber Air Rifle Combo
The SS 1092 comes with both a .177-cal. and .22-cal. stainless steel barrel that are quickly interchangeable. Velocities are 1,000 fps and 850 fps respectively.

Though, for about the same money, this .177 does 1250fps...

OR, if I had lots of $$$$

RWS Model 460 Combo Air Rifle

shoots .177-cal. pellets at 1,350 fps and .22-cal. pellets at 1,100 fps.

I like the single cock springers a bit better than the pump ups. Faster to get back into play...
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

This is what I'd get if I had $400 laying around for such things:
http://www.crosman.com/site/listing/1397