shoulder replacement

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

shoulder replacement

Post by JNG »

Well, I had it done. The shoulder is deformed. ,Such is life in the big city.
All folks are different, but, if you have this issue , please pass info, so I can get back at shooting.

Thanks Joe
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: shoulder replacement

Post by Blaine »

I suppose it happens to most of us. I know both of mine are "glass" and I won't shoot any long gun with very much recoil.
How long is the recovery period for shoulder replacement?
Was your surgery delayed because of hospitals being overworked with covid cases?
I surely hope your recovery goes as well as possible, and that you can get back to what you have done in the past.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I had my right shoulder replaced about 7 years ago -- I had the "reverse" replacement (reversal of positions of ball/socket) which they do if you have waited too long and lost too many muscles for them to do the regular replacement. No physical therapy with the reverse -- you just immobilize it for 6 weeks to let it heal and then you are good to (gradually) go. I understand the regular replacement requires immediate PT to get the range of motion re-established. If you also got the "reverse" like I did then make sure you keep it as close to immobile as you can for about 6 weeks. That was the orders from my doc and he never has a failure. Some of my friends used other doctors and didn't get the same "immobilize 6 weeks" order and they began using theirs much sooner and have not had as good success as I have had. If you got the regular replacement I don't have any advice, though I imagine you just do the PT religiously and get the motion going and all will work out fine. I believe the regular is stronger than the reverse: I am not supposed to lift anything over 50 pounds with my reverse replacement (and I make sure I don't).

Mine has been pretty danged wonderful, but I had waited so long that I could no longer raise that right arm up above about waist level, and I still waited until the pain started to make it hard to get to sleep at night. So anything after that seems pretty danged fine. And I started off by not shooting anything with any amount of recoil, so the 22's and 25/20's, the Bees and the Hornets -- they got shot but not the bigger stuff. For several years. I gradually got my confidence back and am shooting most of my guns but I pay attention and make sure the butt goes against my chest and not out on the shoulder. Would really really hate to knock that baby loose!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I didn't have a replacement, but did have work done. I had a fall and tore the biceps tendon off the shoulder and split the labrum.

Do exactly what PT tells you to do and you will get back to 100%. If they give you the ice water circulator, then use it a lot.

I did exactly what the surgeon and PT's said to do and the shoulder was back to 100%, with a few caveats, by the end of a year. Of course I was in my 50's, so it was a little easier than if I was in my 60's or 70's.

I can never do a dip again at the gym. There is a 5%-10% chance I could tear it again. It was also suggested that I not shoot heavy recoiling rifles or heavy loads.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

have yall tried shooting the big stuff opposite shoulder. I know it like winking at a redhead with your weak eye, but after a while, you get used to it. :oops:
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I checked it out, doc said NO, to any recoil, You'll still be restricted to the amount of weight you can lift, you won't get back the full range of motion, but the pain will be gone. allegedly..

Now this doc maybe over conservative, but my Brother in law does these for a living, he said if you can stand it, don't do it, too much to go wrong.

I decided against it. YMMV.
bobo06
Levergunner

Post by bobo06 »

I had my left shoulder replaced in June of 2020. Total reverse shoulder replacement. I'm left handed. 15 years of facilities maintenance with a lot of it working overhead in a lift running piping. My Dr prescribed therapy. For 6 weeks a sling and the therapist was the only one that moved it. After that strengthening with big rubber bands.
After 3 months i shot a little right handed off a rest. I was able to go deer hunting (iowa) that December. I used my Marlin Dark 45-70 with a hybrid suppressor. The suppressor definitely helped with recoil. Fast forward to june 2021 and i bought a winchester/miroku 1886 deluxe in 45-70. With the crescent butt plate i wear some padding depending on the load.
Have no issues. Full range of movement. Should have done years before i did
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I had mine replaced in 2017. I've never shot a lot of heavy recoiling long guns and none since the surgery. If the pain gets bad enough you'll have it done. The recovery time was only a mater of weeks compared to the discomfort I had prior to that. If I needed to do it again I wouldn't hesitate.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.