My last gunshow

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

My last gunshow

Post by Rusty »

Yep I think I'm just gonna swear off of 'em all together. I went to the one in Orlando yesterday and it was a real downer as far as I'm concerned.

It seems that there is a local dealer who is now going into the local shows and was at the one yesterday. They had about 1/3 of all the tables in the place. When I left I the show I went by another shop where my son did find the 870 he was looking for. While there I ran into an old acquaintance who knows about this local dealer. It seems that said dealer isn't even a U.S. citizen but does have an FFL and plenty of capitol.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Re: My last gunshow

Post by t.r. »

You can do what you want.

But would you swear off Perkins because one single, solitary, french fry was too crispy?

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Rusty,
I don't do any shows anymore, at least not like I once did. However, I would not miss the Wannamaker Show in Tulsa. Save up and go there. It is definitely worth the trip.

Here's the link:
http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/frames.html
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
joachim slim
Levergunner 2.0

Post by joachim slim »

the last gun show i went to was in Springfield, Mo. it was stuff. the admission is up to $8 a person now (no DAV, military or other discounts). the gun shows are now letting alot of flea market stuff come in ( jewelry, coins, candy, nuts and other non gun stuff) just to fill tables. so you go thinking there are 300 = tables and a 3rd of them are non gun stuff. also ive noticed dealers arent moveing their guns as much as and the prices are going up. of course your gun is still not worth much when they look at it. they just arent worth the drive anymore.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Hey Rusty, you wouldn't be talking about Shoot Straight now would ya'?

Come on over to Florida Shooters Network . com for a spell.

There's plenty about ol' Khaleed and the boys there.

I went today and it aint as good as I expected. Picked up a 45/70 reloading setup with some brass and primers.

Then I picked up a qty of 750 Hornady 44mag 240gr XTP for $60.00 ($8.00 per 100) from a private party.

I did come across a Marlin 1897 22lr for $300. It look like someone ringed the bore with a stuck bullet, not bad, but I didn't have the funds anyway.

As for selection, not much I was willing to pay/trade for.
Last edited by meanc on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I went to the Orlando show today ... walked a bit of it with meanc. That dealer is one that has two local shops here in the area and they always have about 1/3 of the show over in that second building. That's why I limit my visits to the Orlando show, I can see much of the stuff at his shop and there really isn't a lot of variability in the merchandise if I go every other month. I'll go to the Orlando show typically only if I need something specific that I know I can find there.

A lot of the stuff there today was EBR related ... which I was not interested in. It seems like just about everyone is making an AR clone of some type these days. There was, as usual, a whole lot of NC Star and off-brand optics as well.

There were a couple of Miroku 86's there ... a Browning marked $1450, and a Winchester TD marked $1595 IIRC. Meanc directed me over to a Marlin 1897 he'd run into. It was only $300 but the octagonal barrel had been buffed to the point that all of the edges were fairly well rounded and there was little finish left anywhere. Still, the receiver markings were good and there was no pitting externally. I didn't check the bore.

I think the Lakeland show is superior as far as the content I'm looking for.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Next month our group is having its annual 2-day show. This is a true "collector" show. No new production firearms, EBR's, toys, clothes, food, etc. Just 200+ tables of vintage firearms.

Marlinman93 will have a display and be working the show. I'll be working both days, in the morning.

August 2008 Show Information

OREGON ARMS COLLECTORS Our 54th Year
ANTIQUE and COLLECTIBLE ARMS SHOW

AUGUST 16th & 17th, 2008 at COLUMBIA CONFERENCE CENTER Holiday Inn Portland Airport & Trade Center 8439 N.E. Columbia Blvd. Portland, Oregon 97220 For host hotel Holiday Inn lodging call 503-256-5000 or 1-800-465-4329 Fax 503-256-5631 Be sure to request discounted OAC show room rate.

Exhibitors Setup: Friday 1pm - 7pm Saturday 7am - 9am Show Hours: Saturday 9am - 5pm Sunday 9am - 3pm (Exhibitors entry 8am) Admission $6 FREE PARKING

A QUALITY SHOW, FEATURING ANTIQUE-COLLECTIBLE FIREARMS, EDGED WEAPONS, MILITARIA, OLD WEST, and HISTORICAL DISPLAYS. NON-RELATED ITEMS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED. NO LOADED FIREARMS. THIS IS A SELL-OUT SHOW. IN FAIRNESS TO ALL PARTICIPANTS, TABLE HOLDERS ARE EXPECTED TO STAY FOR THE ENTIRE SHOW. FOOD AVAILABLE ON-SITE.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

I have a funny story about Shoot Straight and the Orlando show. But first, I agree with you assessment of them.

I went to the show about four or five years ago with a non descript firearm for trade and I don't remember what it was. I bought a Winchester 94 Classic from a non vendor and was about ready to leave when I spotted a Winchester commemorative box on one of their tables. I looked at it and found out it was one of the Texas ones with a half round barrel, pistol gripped and rifle length. I had not done my home work on that paticular one but knew I liked that barrel configuration. I did a little bargaining with my trade and ended up throwing in about another $100. I got the best of the deal and we were both happy. Now I had another Classic and one of those half round barrels and I was ready to go. I turned to leave and thanked them for the deal - when the salesman stopped me and stated "You are about to forget the other one". He reached under the table and pulled out another Commemorative box that contained the Texas carbine that went with the rifle.

I kid you not. There was never any mention of a Commemorative set and I had no clue when we were cutting the deal. Then he pulled out the original shipping box (one box) that both rifles were originally shipped in and sure nuff - there was the little sales sign attached to it that said to sell as a set.

If you ever get arrested in Hillsborough County (Tampa) , ask to see the Sheriff (fat chance :D ) and you will see the set now hanging on his office wall. It turned out he is somewhat of a levergun collector and I had what he wanted.

Now to close the deal, as I was leaving I spotted another Winchester Big Bore being toted around and it also went home with me. Our good friend Duff L Bagg ended up owning that one and he got the good deal that time. I hope you still have it!!!

The Lakeland show that is hosted by the Lakeland Rifle and Pistol Club in absolutely the best show in Florida.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I haven't been to one in several years. Used to go a couple times a year or more.

I get almost everything from on-line suppliers.

The shows are good for primers and powder though - as you don't have to pay the shipping and the prices are usually better than the gun shops...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've pretty much quit them altogether. The last few I attended around here there was more stuff and t-shirts covering the tables that guns. :roll:
NRA Life Member
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

I go to the big show in Chantilly, Va that is billed as the Nation's Gunshow. Mostly because a big ammo exhibitor is a friend of mine and I get in for free. Otherwise it is like 12 bucks to get in.

I buy ammo components there and sometimes loaded ammo if it's a good deal. I've bought 3 rifles from there too. Can't buy any handguns since I don't live in Va. But I do look and try them on for size. Then buy them in WVa.

The best show I've been to was last October in Knoxville, Tn. I stopped as I was driving thru on my way home from Memphis.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

If things don't work out well for me, I will likely go to one more and rent a couple of tables. The next one in the area is in september which is when I will likely need the money.

I have been to hundreds of gun shows in my fairly short life from colorado, NM, texas, kansas, Oklahoma, and who knows where else and I have seen dealers that seem to have most of the tables. Usually I skip over them because in my experience, those dealers with 15 tables must have a decent sized shop and if they couldn't sell it there, why would I want to go the a gun show to buy it. I have also seen gunsmiths set up just so they can sell their "junk" guns that have some sort of problem. That aside, there are many good deals to be had if you look well enough. I set up once at a show to sell some extras and I ended up buying more guns than I brought from people coming in who didn't want to deal with the big dealers. Some were so nice that I nearly had a heart attack when they showed them. I ended up with an SS k98 all matching in trade for an older S&W 28 that I was trying to sell. The smith was new in the box but I still ended up the winner on that trade and the individual was extremely happy.

Well, just my 2cents worth.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I support the local dealer, even if it costs more. They had two old Colts that I published here. A couple of people responded that they thought this shop was usually high. I have not found it to be so. They put the Colts on the net and got about $1000 more than they were asking - each. I don't go the shows any more.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well folks I wasn't going to mention any names directly but someone else did. This outfit has three brick and mortar stores and a complete traveling unit that is apart and separate. All the non gun stuff there is also a pain. Not like the old days when the gun show promoters would actually walk around and tell people certain things had to go.

I guess I'll go find my new favorite store now.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The shows in the Charlotte area have gone down hill over the last few years, but I still find a good deal every now and again. I go as much just to ogle and enjoy the sight of so many gun enthusiasts - knowing it drives the anti's nuts - as for anything else. I do find that the gun shows can often still be the best source of reloading components - around here anyway! Many of the gun stores in this area don't even carry reloading supplies! :(
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I think if I can look past trash and just enjoy getting out among good people . shoot a little hot air , listen to a few that got away it's just plain fun. The nearest show is usually a hundred miles one way or the other so I don't get to go but every a few years. We used to have some small ones but really great ones closer , but not any more. And then there is the gas. But it's still fun when I can go..........................Mutt
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Five years ago I'd go to an average of two shows a month. Today, if I go to one show in two months it's a lot. "Same show, different date" really got to me, and one of the biggest drivers for going so frequently was inexpensive bulk ammo. Well, I stocked up something fierce and since the bulk ammo is no longer inexpensive, the older I get my tolerance for pferdscheisse decreases, and with high fuel prices there less reason to go.

I'm with Old Savage; I keep my local gun shops in business, and what they can't provide I get off the 'Net.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I keep going to buy parts and reloading stuff. But the more private tables there are the better the show. All the local gun and pawn shops have there tables. But you never know what shows up. The last show I went to a gentleman was in town for his grandson baptism . He has 4 savage 99's priced between $500 and $600. He was thinning out his safe . But the 300 savage takedown was a bargain at $600. Flat pockets. i took my used brass and left.
shawn45
Levergunner

Post by shawn45 »

I used to go for reloading stuff like primers nd powder but now I buy the stuff off the net at a considerable savings and don't hav ethe hit and miss stuff I used to get at gunshows. Last gun I bought at a gunshow was my wifes 32 Taurus. I have to make ammo for that one cant really find much 32 stuff at the show down here.
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I have not found a good deal at a show during public houres in a long time. I still do very good during the dealer setup, mainly because Im after spurs, gun leather, and knifes. I still do find a good price on a winchester or marlin every now and then but it dosent happin like it used to.
Break on through to the other side!!!
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

In Kalifornia the shows are garbage some times.There used to be a show in Pomona,Ca.
that had 8 miles of tables!!!!Good competition for prices and ton to look at.Your feet
would ache walking it.The last one I did find 170 gr. 30-30 federal for 8.50 a box..Hard
not to go again when you find deals
What in the wild world of sports is going on here