Roy Chapman Andrews & 250 Savage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Roy Chapman Andrews & 250 Savage

Post by t.r. »

Roy Chapman Andrews had one of the BEST jobs of all time. He was paid to explore and hunt trophy animals for the NYC Metropolitan Museum of Natural History. Roy travelled to all the continents except Antarctica by steamer ship since his hunts occurred long before overseas flights were offered. Many of his taxidermy mounts have been freshened a bit but are still displayed. The movie character of Indiana Jones is based upon Roy Chapman Andrews. No kidding!

He wrote a number of books. My favorite is: This Business of Exploring. My local library found a yellowed copy for me to borrow. The setting is the vast Gobi Desert of Mongolia and Roy has been hunting animals and fossils. The largest sub-species of sika deer were found, hunted, and eaten. He called them miniature elk.

Roy Chapman Andrews hunted extensively with his lever action 250-3000 Savage rifle. He relied on accurate placement and rapid bullet upset to kill animals in their tracks. He favored the then popular 87 grain bullet for its accurasy. But Roy tackled Alaskan brown bears, African lions, and other dangerous beasts with his 6.5mm Mannlicher carbine. He never wrote about feeling under gunned.

Sometimes, I think we get too much information about various Premium bullets and forget about the time proven effectiveness of the older soft-nosed styles. The 87 grain bullet was the only bullet offered for many years. Yet this is the bullet that began its long history of lethal one shot stops.

TR

This photo of a sambar deer was sent to me by a hunter from New South Wales, Australia.

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Roy Chapman Andrews & 250 Savage

Post by Terry Murbach »

EXCELLENT COMMENTARY, SIR.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Just imagine showing up at that museum in NYC today offering your services to bag trophy animals, etc. They'd probably order you an ambulance and guys in white uniforms!
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Believe I read somewhere that Andrews was the inspiration for the Indiana Jones character...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

He wrote a book on dinosaurs for younger readers that I read as a kid. As far as his hunting exploits are concerned, he really put the early Savages through their paces. But I believe he also praised the .22 Savage High-Power as a big game cartridge. I have a 99 in .250-3000, but don't think I would care to hunt large critters with the .22 HP.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Karamojo Bell shot cape buffalo with the .22 Savage Hi-Power. Braver men back then, or just unaware?
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

I believe in addition to the lever and M-S, he used a Savage 1920 bolt action also in .250-3000. Must have been a great way to make a living but, I wonder how much he was paid?
JDL