What is wrong with some people?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

What is wrong with some people?

Post by Beaker »

Saturday, at the gun range I was working at, a guy and some of his friends came to the range. The guy brought a real nice brass Henry .45-70 decked with a leather sling and a leather ammo holder on the stock. He brought the gun to the range fully loaded and a round chambered. Then admits he had not fired the gun in quite some time. After the first round was fired, the spent casing was stuck and would not initially extract.

One of his friends was a petite older lady in her mid '50s, who had never shot a long gun before but was interested in learning to shoot. The gun had only the brass butt plate with no other recoil pad. The man had the lady shoot the gun with out giving her any warning or instruction other than how to aim. When she pulled the trigger, needless to say, it about knocked her on her can, and he laughed and thought it was funny. Please people, start out new shooters properly with instruction and warning and with a mild recoiling caliber.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What is wrong with some people?

Post by fordwannabe »

YOU DO KNOW PEOPLE ARE DUMB...RIGHT? It doesn't seem to have gotten better in the last 30 years either!
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I agree, YouTube has lots of videos of new female shooters getting scoped or kicked by big caliber guns while some smart a** macho man laughs. Perhaps they think it makes them look tough. :roll:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah that’s like giving someone who wants to learn to ride a horse the wildest horse of the bunch for their first ride. Clearly you’re not going to develop a new riding partner with that kind of strategy. These guys gripe about how their girlfriends don’t like to shoot; no wonder... :roll:

I start new shooters out with a suppressed lever action 22 with a red dot sight. There’s no noise, no recoil, the gun is light and easy to handle, and the sights are completely intuitive. From there, we gradually work up a little bit of noise a little bit of recoil and different types of sights, until four hours later I can hand them a Ruger Redhawk with 180 grain factory loads and they use it to hit a 5-gallon bucket at 50 yards.

Instead of feeling embarrassed and intimidated, the women I teach feel empowered and confident, and will likely ENJOY shooting, be good at it, and be a lot more ‘positive’ in their attitude about ‘guns’ than the women who got handed the 44 Magnum first just so they could be laughed at.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

On one of our clubs sight-in days a guy came out with his wife and the new rifle he bought for her. She shot it twice and was about crying as it hurt so much. Macho husband started shooting it. The thing kicked like a mule. I went over and talked to her and asked about the new gun. It was a lightweight 300 WSM she said and it looked to weigh maybe 7.5 lbs with scope, if that.
As this was her first gun, I told her a 260 Rem or 7-08 would be more than enough for what she wanted to hunt and looked at her husband and remarked that he probably knew that she would not like the gun and he would have a new gun for himself!!! She got this dangerous look in her eye and and said that I just might be right about that!!
Suspect hubby had a bad day later!!!!
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

and he laughed and thought it was funny
Monkeys, and power. "I can do something to you to control you".
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sounds to me like the owner of the Henry isn't someone I'd want teaching ANYONE about gun handling. People like him shouldn't be involved in passing down their bad habits to new shooters, or gun owners.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I was at the range one day and this DIP WAD (there I cleaned it up), was messing around with a teenage girl who was afraid of the big bad gun he was making her use(30-06 I think). I stepped in and asked if she would like to shoot my Marlin? No that's too big and powerful for her blah blah blah. I said these are subsonic heavy for caliber bullets going very slowly, and proceeded to shoot it one handed. I got her confidence that it was quiet, and almost no recoil. She finally agreed while Mr.DW stands there looking silly. She really liked it! I said now you can tell men you shoot a 45-70 levergun. Dip wad standing there looking dumb as a pile of poo, asked if he could shoot it? Sure buddy! I don't know how but :roll: somehow a full house 500 grain hardcast solid that I had made for full length penetration of large hogs and bears made it's way into the chamber. Oh my! did that seem loud, and I can't believe it but he seemed to not appreciate the recoil either. Hmm, oops. Darn hate it when people get what they are dishing out. I apologized for the "mixup", though I don't think he was buying it. DON'T MESS WITH KIDS AND WOMEN AROUND OLD FAT GUYS.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's a great story :D I wish something similar on Dip Wads everywhere who try to look tough in front of females... :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I've seen this too many times.

I start new shooters off with a .22. There's no reason to make them afraid of the gun like this.

I've taken my wife up to a Glock 9mm but she really prefers shooting the .22.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:02 am Sounds to me like the owner of the Henry isn't someone I'd want teaching ANYONE about gun handling. People like him shouldn't be involved in passing down their bad habits to new shooters, or gun owners.
So, so many arrogant know it alls are like that.... We all know one or two. :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Last person I taught to shoot was a young woman whom I worked with. I started her on a lever action .22 lr, and a Ruger Mark II. Third trip she shot a 1911 and really liked it. Fourth trip she tried a .44 Magnum. She liked it enough to do 2 cylinders full.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost