Levergun mini safari report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Levergun mini safari report

Post by RKrodle »

WOW, talk about a whirlwind day of hunting. 86er and I left out at 11:00pm Saturday night heading to Hondo for a day of hunting on Sunday. We arrived about 4:00 am and started installing a scout scope on my new-to-me guide gun that I purchased last weekend. We got it mounted up and bore sighted and hit the bed for a much needed two hours of sleep before arising at 7:00. First thing was sighting in the newly scoped guide gun and checking zero on Joes 30-30 after having removed the scope on it a few days earlier. Thirty minutes, and a flat tire on the mule later, we are ready for some hunting. Sense the mule pulled up lame we decided to take the doors off my Jeep to use as scout vehicle. We head out looking for a sick Scimitar. Such a simple task, how hard could be to find a sick animal on a game ranch. So we stated scouting, and scouting, and then some more scouting then there it is, we have found it, for about 5 seconds, and then it was gone. In all this scouting we are also looking for a Black Ram that Joe wanted to take and a Scimitar with broken horns that I want for the supper table. We spot Joes ram and he starts his stalk, it is hanging out with three other rams and it was too many eyes and they made their getaway. As he is working his way threw the thick brush and trees he jumps two Scimitars that come running my direction, the second of the two is the one with broken horns. They run by in the trees about 60 yards out moving from my left to right. I bring the guide gun up and place the scope on the Scimitar and pull the trigger and it slows to a stop and I immediately let off another round. The second shot does not seem to have any effect on the animal except that it turns and now its left side is broadside to me. The thoughts that was running though my mind was that I had to put it down now. I placed the crosshairs on the shoulder and squeezed off another round. I was rewarded with a solid thud and the Scimitar goes down. Elapsed time for all of this was less then 10 seconds. About this time Joe is walking up and we proceed over to the down animal and I administer forth shot to finish it off. This beast was not going easy, it was tough and had a will to live. We examined it and found my first shot had entered behind the right ribs and penetrated to the left shoulder. The second shot, that seemed to have little affect, had penetrated the neck without hitting anything vital. Shot number three entered the left shoulder and was found under the shin of the right shoulder. The shoulders were totally destroyed, just massive damage. Shots two and tree were fired at around 75 yards. The forth shot, used for a finisher, was shot at about 10 feet and went from the brisket to just under the skin at the top of the shoulders.
The scimitar is a big beautiful animal that is tough and hard to bring down. It’s a real joy to watch how graceful they are as they run and amazing how one second they are there and the next they are gone from sight.
Back to more scouting, again. This time we see the sick animal, he is walking toward us but out of range, we wait and it grazes along and moves closer but still to far out. We wait, he is getting closer and then moves off the right and disappears into the brush in one step. Vanished. Gone. We move out to try and intercept him at the next crossing but it was no use. How do they do that, how does a 400 lb animal disappear within a few steps? We decide to regroup and have some late lunch. A quick sandwich, a half gallon of Gatorade and we’re ready to go.
We go back out into the heat of the day for more scouting. As we are moving down a road we see the Black Ram that Joe is after and he is on the stalk. He works within 25 yards of the ram and takes steady aim with his 30-30 loaded with the 110gr Hornady lite loads that we reported on a few weeks back. His first shot his perfect, right on the shoulder. To our surprise this little 100 pound rascal takes off up hill on the run. Joe follows up with two shots into the heart/lung area and he goes down. Joe placed these two shots within one inch of each other with the animal on the run, dang good shooting. Joes brings the animal back down the hill and lays him in the shade of a tree, both of us believing him to be dead when he decides that the fat lady has not sang yet and almost gets to his feet in a last gallant effort. Down for good it was time for paying our respect and a few photos of the beautiful ram.
The 110gr bullets that we worked up for using on small animals worked only okay with total penetration on all shots but appeared to only expand on the shoulder shot when hitting heavy bone. We found some small bits of lead and copper in the exit hole from the shoulder shot. We may need to regulate these loads to varmints.
About this time Joes ranch hand Paul shows up and joins in to help us “scout” for the “sick” Scimitar. Now with three people searching we were bound to locate a sick animal that is all but on his death bed. We dedicated about a total five hours of searching , 15 man hours, trying to find this ill and fading fast animal that only had days to live and only saw it for no more then a minute total out of all that time. Time ran out before we were able to accomplish our main goal and we had to head back home getting there about 11:30 Sunday night. After only 3 hours of sleep we were both ready for a well deserved good nights sleep. The only thing left to do now is to get the extra large quantity of dust out from the inside of my poor Jeep :oops:

Joe and his Black Ram

Me and my Scimitar

Look how thick the hide is on the Scimatar

Massive shoulder damage from 405gr rem bullets
Last edited by RKrodle on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky

DWWC
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Levergun mini safari report

Post by crs »

Ricky;
Good report. What did you do with the meat? There should be a lot of good eating from that animal.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Great hunt'n story :D !I too am interested in the cook'n part.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ricky,

Good report. Good shooting also, congrats to ya both! Wish I'd coulda went, but... that work thing... :x
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Aloha Rick & Joe, Thanks for the great report and pictures, it brought back allot of good memories of hunting with you folks which will last a lifetime. Let us know how that Scimitar Oryx tastes. I an almost out of my antelope meat from February after 2 barbeques, and a large pot of Texas Antelope Chili, may have to drive my truck bacj over to Maui on the new ferry to refill my freezer with Axis Deer steaks. Thanks again, and hope to hunt with you again in the future after my life returns to "normal". :wink:
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Thanks for the nice comments. I wish all of you could of been there with us for the good hunting and fellowship. We quartered out the Scimitar and it is in the freezer at home :D . I have never tried it but Joe says it fine eating, we'll see. It took a long time to get home Sunday, there was a wreck just as we were coming into Austin. This boat was in the north bound lanes facing to the south. :shock: It had things backed up for a ways.

Ricky

DWWC
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

good shootin' guys
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I am so very looking to August's shoot. today, my new FAVORITE lever gun arrived and I can't wait to test it out on some game. A fellow levergunner made possible for me to get a dream lever gun - a Wild West Gun - Co-Pilot. What a beautiful functional levergun. .457 magnum (or 45-70) power, with scout scope (handle) and kevlar stocked. Light, powerful. I'm thinking I now have to decide if its the sharps or the levergun on Bison, sheep and pig? Decisions Decisions!!

Nice post Ricky, looking forward to meeting you and the other levergunners
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Thats a tough decision, but a good one to have :D . I look forward to meeting you and seeing that co-pilot.
Ricky

DWWC