Colt Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Colt Question

Post by Rube Burrows »

I know this is a lever gun group but there are lots that collect other stuff also.

I don't own any older Colt revolvers but have always wanted a model 1877 Thunderer or possibly a Lightning. Are there any groups out there with buy/sell pages or other places I can look. I have been looking at Gunbroker and there are a few on there but not quite what I'm looking for.

I am mostly just looking for groups where I can see and possibly purchase something like that.

Thanks.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Colt Question

Post by gamekeeper »

Six-gun is the guy to ask, he probably has a safe full... :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

coltforum.com
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

+1 on the Colt Forum. You should have caught me about a month ago. Had a really nice 1877 in .41 but I sold it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

M. M. Wright wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:10 pm +1 on the Colt Forum. You should have caught me about a month ago. Had a really nice 1877 in .41 but I sold it.
Always a day late and a dollar short.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Bridger wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:40 pmcoltforum.com

Great. Thanks.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:34 pm Six-gun is the guy to ask, he probably has a safe full... :wink:
No doubt about that. Maybe he’ll just adopt me. :mrgreen:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Unless your mechanically inclined stay away from these guns......even if you luck onto a fine example it won't be fine if you start shooting it to any degree......I've had em and in the few I've had, I had a beauty in 41 that looked like it was used for one box of ammo......after just a hundred or so rounds the original springs weakened.....I buy a spring kit and put in and it was fine for several hundred more rounds until I figured I better sell it before it came apart.....I sold it.

These guns are a PITA to load for....if you want to do it right you need a hollow base mould with blackpowder a MUST. Why? These guns are old with thin cylinders so you can't put enough smokeless in them to expand the base so it will shoot accurately ...that's why BP is a must, it expands the base and has low pressures for the thin walled cylinder.......with a single action Colt or an Army Special in the 41 or 38 you have more of a margin of safety for smokeless.

Brass is a PITA as it's considerably more expensive that regular brass as are dies. ......weak design and fragile these guns are and I know pretty much what I'm doing.....it takes a real gunsmith to work on them for timing etc....If I remember right, the locking notches are on the back of the cylinder.

(I never was a fan of BP considering it more of a PITA than what's it's worth but that's me)

If you just want to look at one and not shoot it go ahead...that's your business...I like to shoot em.

Now you know why these guns bring a fraction of the money a single action does.....

Funny thing.....the Colt Lightning rifle got a bad rap for mechanics because of the Lightning revolver. You can shoot the rifles until the cows come home with little to zero issues. As you know the Thunderer is the same gun but in 41

Hate to be a bummer but I call a spade a spade.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:52 am Unless your mechanically inclined stay away from these guns......even if you luck onto a fine example it won't be fine if you start shooting it to any degree......I've had em and in the few I've had, I had a beauty in 41 that looked like it was used for one box of ammo......after just a hundred or so rounds the original springs weakened.....I buy a spring kit and put in and it was fine for several hundred more rounds until I figured I better sell it before it came apart.....I sold it.

These guns are a PITA to load for....if you want to do it right you need a hollow base mould with blackpowder a MUST. Why? These guns are old with thin cylinders so you can't put enough smokeless in them to expand the base so it will shoot accurately ...that's why BP is a must, it expands the base and has low pressures for the thin walled cylinder.......with a single action Colt or an Army Special in the 41 or 38 you have more of a margin of safety for smokeless.

Brass is a PITA as it's considerably more expensive that regular brass as are dies. ......weak design and fragile these guns are and I know pretty much what I'm doing.....it takes a real gunsmith to work on them for timing etc....If I remember right, the locking notches are on the back of the cylinder.

(I never was a fan of BP considering it more of a PITA than what's it's worth but that's me)

If you just want to look at one and not shoot it go ahead...that's your business...I like to shoot em.

Now you know why these guns bring a fraction of the money a single action does.....

Funny thing.....the Colt Lightning rifle got a bad rap for mechanics because of the Lightning revolver. You can shoot the rifles until the cows come home with little to zero issues. As you know the Thunderer is the same gun but in 41

Hate to be a bummer but I call a spade a spade.-----6
Thanks for the input. I know they are notorious for being a real pain in the butt mechanically. I have always wanted one though if I could find the right one at the right price.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Rube,
I was telling you the negatives of the 1877 Colt.......on the positive side they are cool and full of history......don't let my negativity keep you from your quest of acquiring a cool gun........just don't think your going to have a gun that you can shoot until the cows come home like you can with a single action. :D ---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:47 am Rube,
I was telling you the negatives of the 1877 Colt.......on the positive side they are cool and full of history......don't let my negativity keep you from your quest of acquiring a cool gun........just don't think your going to have a gun that you can shoot until the cows come home like you can with a single action. :D ---6

Totally understand. I always enjoy your insight. I know you have the experience with what you're talking about.

I really have always wanted one since I was a kid and seen Young Guns 1 and 2 and learned about guys like Billy The Kid, John Wesley Hardin and others using them. :D