The BEST long range levergun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

The BEST long range levergun?

Post by Old Savage »

??????????????? What is your opinion ????????????????
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The BEST long range levergun?

Post by O.S.O.K. »

The Sharps :twisted:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

1894 in 30-30. :D

Byron
I had too.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Long range means different things to folks from this side of the big muddy. I imagine the 88 in .308, or the blr in one of those pointed bullet versions would have to fit the bill. The 95's just seem heavy to me.

just read O.S.O.K's post. I would say +1 to his comment. I use the shaps for all my long shooting :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Bubba w/a 45/70
Levergunner

Post by Bubba w/a 45/70 »

At what ranges are you considering when bandying about the "long range" idea with a levergun?

For much of anything withint that 250 Yard range, I'll take my Marlin 1895 in 45/70.

When you get out farther than that, a Winnie 88 in .308 would do most of anything else that I'd care to take on with a levergun. There's probably a better longer range cartridge out the in a BLR, but I'm very familiar with my .308's.
Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Please read:
Ben Sira 2: 4-9
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Old Savage wrote:The BEST long range levergun?

The one you practice with the most.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I can only answer this question as it reates to "what's in my safe", so among mine:

My Browning 1886 in .45-70; since I've toppled rams @ 500 meters, I consider that reachin' out there.

If wind conditions cooperate I can consistently hit the pigs @ 350 meters with my bull-barrelled Winchester 94 in .30-30 I consider it a very accurate levergun.

Both of the above were from a bench. In field positions, I generally limit myself to 200 yards with either. Although, I have ocassionally used x-sticks with good success.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I suppose it depends on what type of longrange?
For banging steel at 1/2 mile my 405 loaded with 400 gr cast bullets has worked pretty well. The Lyman bullet for it works pretty decent at that long range also as long as the wind is fairly calm. Have also seen some super tricked out 95's in a variety of bp type cartridges do some good things in buffalo type matches.
I've seen some pretty neat things done with 86's in 45-70 loaded with the 500 gr government bullet put up a good show at long range as well.

For hunting and possible punchin holes in paper targets, any of the scope sighted 308 lever guns would work pretty fair, and I'ld imagine a BLR in 7 mag with a good 175 gr bullet might do some pretty nifty things at 7-800 yds on paper targert
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

A '95 Win in .30-06 would be a pretty good choice for looooooog range shooting. Could easily be a 1000 yd rifle with the right sights...
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

My 1895XLR :D !Reaches out with the Hammer of Thor(has the definite ability to "Unseat a rider"ie-drop the horse) :twisted: !Image
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Picked from my collection:
Levergun without scope; Winchester 1895 with peep sight in 30.06.
Levergun with scope; Winchester 94 XTR 7-30 Waters 24" with Leupold 3-9x40 Duplex and Federal factory ammo within 250yards or my Winchester 94 Big Bore XTR 307 Winchester with Leupold 6x42 Duplex scope also with Winchester factory 180grs. ammo within 300 yards. The scoped guns for hunting within the called distance and the Winchester 1895 within 150 yards for hunting. That's my limitation for open sight hunting. Paper punching and silhouette shooting with the 1895 in 30.06 already done out to 550 yards.
But I do all my long range hunting (over 250 yards) with one of my bold action guns in 7 Remington Magnum or 338 Winchester Magnum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Shiloh Sharpes 45-110 or 120
traditional levers.....86 45-70 or 95 in 405
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Big K
Levergunner

Post by Big K »

For long range hunting the Winchester Model 88 or Savage 99 in 284 Win. would be hard to beat.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

What about the BLR in 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM? I know they can be scary accurate, and the cartridge is known for it's long range performance.

I can see where the 95 Win. could be used too. Think about this, a 95 with a 28" barrel chambered in 30-06SPGF with the Lyman receiver sight added. Using handloads with 165gr, 150gr, or even 125gr bullets. With this combo, you get about a 36" (+/-) sight radius, spitzer boat tail bullets, and a round that even pulled sniper duty. Imagine what a globe front sight, and a tang drilled and tapped for a long range Sharps style sight would shoot. If that combo wouldn't shoot some ragged holes at really far distances with a dead steady hold I'd give up my leverguns, and switch to AK's.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

"Non-traditional lever" - the Sharps.

"Traditional Lever" - the Winchester 1895, given it's ability to handle modern spire-pointed rounds.

I'll be the first to admit I am not familiar with the '88, so I am sure it is a contender as well.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have seen Ravenman's groups with his 94 BBs set up the way he likes them. He gets clover leafs at 110yds (100 meters, that's what they shoot over there), very accurate. My 444 BB doesn't have a scope but seems to have maybe similar capability. Had I realized these were that accurate I would have got them when they were avaiable. Missed one in 307 recently that lasted one morning at the gun shop at $500.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Old Savage,
Hope you find one day a Winchester Big Bore pre safety in 307 Winchester.
Just can't wait to get some Hornady LeverEvolution bullets to make some reloads for my 307 Winchester.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ravenman that is exactly what was there - perfect condition presafety - $500 - shouldn't have even thought it over. But I had just put a 44 mag SuperBlackhawk away to buy. This one of course covers the same area - 2600 fps and spitzer.

Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Old Savage,
A 44 Magnum Superblackhawk is also a great gun. Your Savage 99 seems to be a keeper too! You have the right stuff for all your hunting needs at any range!! 88er, 99er and BLR what more can one ask for?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, the 94's and the Marlins of course. :D :P :?

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Big K wrote:For long range hunting the Winchester Model 88 or Savage 99 in 284 Win. would be hard to beat.
I'm with him if we're having to go long distance. Where I live, those long shots are few and far between though.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

This Savage 99 has helped me take many elk of both sexes + mulies at distances well beyond 200 yards. In my opinion, .308 with 180 pointed soft tip is one of the BEST cartridges of all time for hunting big game in North America. You're allowed to disagree.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Spitzer - round nose - preference. You look like you are no rookie. Like to know more about what you think. The original owner of mine shot a small Cal. deer at 267 yds with it and four others. They had loads of 100, 130, 150, and 180 for it when it was given to me. He particularly liked Silvertips. I have a .65" group with it with those bullets. Excellent rifle. You could convince me it could do it all. It is a 300 Savage.

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

What is long range?
I'm hard pressed to see an animal much past 200 yds and sure as heck wouldn't be able to hit one much past that even if I could see it.
I can ring the gong consistently at 200 with the 357 but I think if I wanted to hunt at that distance I would have to go out and buy a 30-30 and scope (sounds like an excuse to go shopping, dont it).
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Anything with lots of practice. IMO 1886 45/70 is neat'o.....pretty cool also. :P :mrgreen:
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

I've had success with my Savage 99 chambered in .250 Savage. Several Antelope past 200 yards have fallen to it.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

In my safe it would be the Winchester 88 in .308 or the Pedersoli Sharps in 45-70.

If I were to go out today and buy a "long range" lever gun - I would be hard pressed to walk by a newer Browning in 30-06, 270, or such. I even think they make a small caliber one in 22-250 - can't get much more long range than that....
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Well...my Teddy Roosevelt .30-30 works pretty well at 1,000 yards :shock: 8). It wears a mid range vernier tang sight and a Lyman globe front sight. :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

1895-30-06 with hornady and federal 150/165 ligth magnum, high energy factory loads.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I would think a browning/winchester 1895 in 30-06 or 270. The winchester carbine I have has a ladder sight marked to 1200 yards. Not that I have a range anywhere long enough to try it out :oops: The 270 or 30-06 shoots plenty flat-- and you can use them new fangled pointy bullets
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Marlin in .308MX. I have one, but have yet to shoot it, but the many articles that I have read about it puts it as a solid 300yd game lever. All hunters that have used this round on game, (primarly deer,) have told of the flat trajectory and the instant kills.. Any comments???? Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I have one, but have yet to shoot it, but the many articles that I have read about it puts it as a solid 300yd game lever. All hunters that have used this round on game, (primarly deer,) have told of the flat trajectory and the instant kills.. Any comments???? Art
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Marlin in .308MX. I have one, but have yet to shoot it, but the many articles that I have read about it puts it as a solid 300yd game lever. All hunters that have used this round on game, (primarly deer,) have told of the flat trajectory and the instant kills.. Any comments???? Art
Uh, yeah. Go shoot it your self???? :P :P :P And please report back!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

w30wcf wrote:Well...my Teddy Roosevelt .30-30 works pretty well at 1,000 yards :shock: 8). It wears a mid range vernier tang sight and a Lyman globe front sight. :D

w30wcf
I'd like to hear more details about that! :shock: I've shot 1,000 yards, but never tried it with a .30-30.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If I was looking for a levergun to be certain as a 300 yard game gun, new, I'd buy a BLR in some hot-shot chambering. Not my cup of tea, but that's not what you asked. Odds are it will shoot, but one can't be certain of anything.

If I was just shooting at targets I'd use whatever gun floats my boat and is chambered in for a cartridge legal in that particular game. If I was the one making the rules, I'd be happy with what I've got.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

claybob86

The bullet of choice is Lyman's 311284, which was developed for the .30-40 Krag and is similar in profile to the gov't. loaded 220 gr. r.n. that was used for 1,000 yard target shooting way back when. In the .30-30, slow burning H414, W760, or H4350, will push the 311284 to 2,000 f.p.s. in a 26" barrel. Tests at a ballistics lab indicate that, surprisingly, pressure with that recipe is less than .30-30 SAMMI MAP. :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

I had the BLR in the long action .270 win, and currently have one in the short action .308. I have to say that I both are shooters (although I like the short action better), the .270 took a lil 6 pt white tail at a little over 340 yards and have killed a couple of coyotes and a fox at near 200 with the .308. Most of my lever gun experience has been with either rim-fires or the ole 30-30, but have put enough rounds down range with the BLR to become a believer. BTW while my experience with Brownings have been limited (I have owned 9 over the years, and shot maybe a dozen others), I have yet to run accross a bad one!