Another Great Day at the Range This Morning

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Another Great Day at the Range This Morning

Post by COSteve »

I decided to take out my 2 Rossis and my 1911 for some quality levergun time as the sun was shining and it was warm today. I thought I'd run some serious number of rds of both my 125grn Unique powdered mid level plinkers and my 158grn Lil'Gun powdered mid level loads through both my 20" carbine and 24" rifle with an emphasis on how well they grouped at 200yds as well as how they treated my shooting shoulder (that's been bothered for a while with a touch of arthritis). My 1911 went along just because I've neglected the good ole 45acp and I thought it needed time at the range.

Long story short, I'd said before that the two loads did well in my leverguns and they both hit near POA at 200yds with the same sight setting on my 24", tang sighted rifle. Today I concentrated on more precision shooting at 200yds and found that the two loads were actually impacting much closer than the 'couple of inches' I obtained last time.

At today's warm, near 80° day and with me shooting for groups, I found that the two loads are surprisingly hitting within about an inch of each other. That's actually an estimate as the two groups were challenging my capabilities with a tang and globe sight set but the 158grn's group was just a bit higher than the 125grn,however, one could say that both were within a variance in shooting ability as well.

The carbine produced groups that varied a few inches apart, however, with the carbine's standard placement sights with just a Marbles semi-buckhorn at the rear and a 1/16" brass bead front, I just don't have the precision aiming setup I have on my rifle so I can't tell if I'm as consistent as with the carbine but the groups were spread farther apart.

Anyway, I'm tickled with the results and made myself a couple hundred empty .357 Mag cases and about 100 45acp cases to add to my reload pile.
Steve

Noli nothis permittere te terere
“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another Great Day at the Range This Morning

Post by GunnyMack »

Sounds like a good day indeed! Always nice to know what Ammo does at distance. Keep it up and you are going to wear out your new Dillon! :D
NUKE err I mean Boycott China- now and forever!!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another Great Day at the Range This Morning

Post by COSteve »

GunnyMack wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:23 pm
Sounds like a good day indeed! Always nice to know what Ammo does at distance. Keep it up and you are going to wear out your new Dillon! :D
I've got a feeling that my 750 will last a lot longer than I will. Heck, my 650 had 'only' 200,000 rds on it and it was barely broken in!
Steve

Noli nothis permittere te terere
“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert