Plum color

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Plum color

Post by Ysabel Kid »

After this exchange on another topic, I thought I'd post this as it's own thread.

http://sixshootercommunity.com/levergun ... .php?t=730

What causes some metal used in guns to go "plum" in color? I have seen this a lot on older Ruger handguns, but it appears this is also the case with the Japanese-made Brownings...

Is this a sign of the metal getting weaker? I seem to recall hearing someone said that a older Ruger that has gone plum is desirable from a collector's standpoint. Any truth to that?

Thanks!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ysabel Kid,

It an additive they put in the steel to facilitate the casting process.
I think is silica, or silicone, or something in that name type.
This reacts with the bluing salts and temperatures and the steel goes plum.
The Ruger collectors will wet them selfs over a totally plum Blackhawk.

Joe
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Old Rugers turn all sorts of interesting colors.

Obviously not an old Ruger.

Slow is just slow.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

cas wrote:Old Rugers turn all sorts of interesting colors.

I'm thinkin' some oil might be in order...

:wink:
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

:shock: It would seem, but it's not rust.

Slow is just slow.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks guys!

I was having fits a few months ago thinking that a couple of my guns were starting to rust, and couldn't figure out why, given how well protected they are. Then I realized that I could only see that plum color in certain light (really strong light, like the one shining into my safe).
J Miller wrote:Ysabel Kid,

The Ruger collectors will wet them selfs over a totally plum Blackhawk.

Joe
Joe, I do have an old flat-top that has pretty much gone all plum in the frame. Maybe I should post a few pictures of it over at the Ruger site to drive them wild?!? :wink:
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Thanks guys!

Joe, I do have an old flat-top that has pretty much gone all plum in the frame. Maybe I should post a few pictures of it over at the Ruger site to drive them wild?!? :wink:

No. You should send it to me!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

By all means post it over on TRF. They love 'em.
The ones that really get them are those that are not only plum, but have lightening bolts in the color. Just another variation of the chemical reactions.

Joe
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

I love them old plum Rugers. You see it on some of their rifle receivers too and not necessarily on older guns. I've got a recent vintage M77 (my only non-lever centerfire) that the receiver is turning plum. While I like plum, I prefer it when they turn colors like this:
:D :D :D
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I've also had a Leupold scope that saw a lot of sunlight go plum in color. The rifle sat in a pickup truck rifle rack most of the time and the half facing the window eventually turned a nice shade of purple while the other half remained black. The area under the rings remained black as well so I just figured it was sun bleaching.
Well done is better than well said.
uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

Jayhawker wrote:I've also had a Leupold scope that saw a lot of sunlight go plum in color. The rifle sat in a pickup truck rifle rack most of the time and the half facing the window eventually turned a nice shade of purple while the other half remained black. The area under the rings remained black as well so I just figured it was sun bleaching.
rifle tan lines?
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I've seen new guns that have the plum colored cast on the frame..The frame on my early Uberti 73 SRC is plum.. I want a BLUE frame on it... Anyone now if rust bluing with it's lower temperature process & different chemical application will beat back the plum problem? I'm ready to redo the SRC if rust bluing will overcome the plum...
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My early Uberti 73 has started to show a slight plum color and I'm thinking of rebluing due to the fact the previous owner managed to scratch just about every part of the gun so bad it looks like it was used at The Little Big Horn! :cry:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

cubrock wrote:

Now Steve, we both know you would get in WAY TOO MUCH TROUBLE with a little one on the way if you bought another gun right now! :wink:
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Some internal parts on my No.1 were very plum in color. There are many possibilities. Some alloys may tend to this. Some bluing chemicals contain copper and/or other metals which themselves can impart a color. As mentioned above, it could be impurities trapped from the casting process. It may be brown oxide is forming in among the black oxide originally applied. Given that it's happening gradually on yours, I'll guess it's either oxidation of the alloy steel or of metals deposited in the bluing process. Regardless, I rather like the plum color.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
cubrock wrote:

Now Steve, we both know you would get in WAY TOO MUCH TROUBLE with a little one on the way if you bought another gun right now! :wink:

Who was talking about buying it? :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

cubrock wrote: Who was talking about buying it? :wink:
Got me! Didn't see that one coming at all!

Here's a picture of it:

It actually looks better than this - my photography skills are no where near those of Kirk's or some of the others on this forum. The frame is not scratched - it is just the way the light is hitting it.

This was one of the guns that belonged to my father. When he died we split his collection up between myself and my two brothers. Over the years I purchased my brothers' guns, as they just didn't get into firearms like I did. This was one of the last ones I acquired - my brother really didn't want to part with it, but when he married an anti-gunner (still can't believe he'd do that), he sold it to me!

Sorry Steve - I'm not parting with this one! :wink:
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
cubrock wrote: Who was talking about buying it? :wink:
Sorry Steve - I'm not parting with this one! :wink:

You could leave it to me in your will. :wink:

I like it. Very nice gun.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

That is a beauty Ysabel Kid, and your fathers to boot, I would never part with it either.
I have always wanted one of the Ruger Bearcats that have the lightning color blue but have never had the opportunity to find/get one.

I have a couple of firearms that have turned plumb color and for some reason I like them like that.

Ruger Blackhawk .357 1957 and the grips are turning brown too.

And a Bushmaster DCM that has a eggplant color upper

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks salvo! I like both of your guns above as well!

You mean something like this? Again, not the best picture...

I bought this one for my son. He is only 9, and already showing huge promise with both the rifle and the handgun (yes, I am incredibly proud!).

Sorry Steve - all my guns are slated for the "boy wonder"! :wink: Well, maybe a few for my little girl too - she started shooting with us this summer as well (at 5 years old)!!! :D
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Yes & no :shock:
I have seen pictures of the finish on some of the old model Bearcats that look like lightning bolts are in it, kind of a variation of the plumb color that J Miller mentioned in his post above.

Ysabel Kid, you have great tastes in firearms:D Here is my old model Bearcat, no plumb though.

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Now that Bearcat looks like a gun ought to look.. Blue! I sure don't care for the finish on a gun that makes it look like it has contusions!..

I'm ready to redo the plum frame on my Uberti SRC ... Anyone know if rust bluing with it's lower temperature process & different chemical application will beat back the plum problem?