OT - One man's wilderness: An Alaskan odyssey

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

OT - One man's wilderness: An Alaskan odyssey

Post by kimwcook »

Abracol's post about a couple of books some might enjoy reading reminded me of a recent documentary I watched the other day on PBS television. It was about Richard Proeneke and his time living in the Alaskan bush. I'm going off memory here so please bear with me. He was like in his early 50's when he moved into the bush, built a log cabin all by hand and lived there till he was in his early 80's. Quite the guy. I couldn't imagine living with the bare essentials being dropped off every now and then and supplementing with the land. All by yourself with few visitors, no running water, no electricity, outhouse. I think a lot of folks like to think they'd prefer to live in the "Good Ole Days", but few would really find it appealing after just a couple short weeks or months. I know I wouldn't. I've taken military survival courses and it's no picnic living off the land. In my book he was one tough and determined guy.
Old Law Dawg
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - One man's wilderness: An Alaskan odyssey

Post by WCF3030 »

The dvd is called "Alone in the wilderness".
Very good, I watch it about twice a month.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

it's actually easier to do it the way he did it. he lived in a food paradise, you'd have to work to starve. he lived in a pristine environment where the water was safe to drink and there were abundant resources, and NO COMPETITION FOR THEM.

he also had enough energy to run a small city if he pedaled the genset!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I missed the first post, but along these lines I recommend reading " Alaska Sourdough", the story of Slim Williams who moved to AK as a lad and eventually drove a team of sled dogs from AK to the Chicago Worlds Fair.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Didn't they run this on some TV channel about 8 months ago? Cool, for sure. I used to dream of doing such a thing when I was a kid. Just me, Grandpa's Remington M8 and a dog... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

"Alaska's Wolf Man" is another good one. The guy lived on his own for many years in the Alaskan wilderness. His book has a lot of useful info on animal behavior, and some info on trapping and such. Good read.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
shawn45
Levergunner

Post by shawn45 »

I 2nd the Alaska Wolfman.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I have copied from PBS," One Man's Wilderness" and watch it now and then. When I am having a depressing day I watch it and mentally escape to that time and place.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Proenekke's journals from the first couple years were published in book form under the title One Man's Wilderness as well. They're well worth the read, as you get the impression that Dick may have been a bit of a "bunny hugger" from the videos, which was not the case. The journals have tales of run-ins with Griz and other stuff of interest. That guy was a human dynamo.
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

I remember watching it on PBS with my son a couple of years ago. I remember him shooting a nice dall ram with a spoterized 03 Springfield with a peep sight if memory serves. I enjoyed it very much while realizing that this guy worked his tail off all day long every day.