OT - Copperheads and CCI Shotshells, oh my!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

OT - Copperheads and CCI Shotshells, oh my!

Post by GoatGuy »

Just killed the 2nd Copperhead snake of this Spring a couple of hours ago. Our Catahoula dog, Pepper, alerted me to it by her distinctive bark, saying, "hey Dad, there's something out here that requires your urgent attention!" Found the bugger ensconced on Pepper's bed on our back porch, daring her to make it leave. It was only a small one, about 14 inches or so long, but, like most vipers of my experience, full of attitude.

That's the 9th Copperhead I've killed on our place in the last 3 1/2 years. Don't much care for those vermin and don't want them anywhere they can cause harm to family, pets or stock, so I'm more than happy to dispatch them whenever possible. When out and going about work on the place, I carry a 38 spec. with several CCI shotshells in the cylinder. They work as advertised! Anyone else use this load in any caliber for such work?
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

I've killed three in my yard so far this year. They all were small but copper heads just the same. I have some cci shot shells but never had the opportunity to use them on snakes. A few years ago, handloader magazine ran an article about loading your own using #9 shot and gas checks in the 45LC and 44 mag cases. They tested shooting at potatoes with great results!
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I've never used shotshells on snakes, preferring a well placed (head shot) solid. I can see the utility thereof for use in places where a solid would do damage (like the dog's bed on the porch) but for general around the place use a regular slug does fine. A lyman wadcutter over a dose of Bullseye in a 38 special will kill 'em dead right there - if you place your shot carefully.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've always used standard bullets even though I've got some shot cartridges. I've killed carpenter bees with them.

I'd have responded sooner but I was installing a Tyler-T on a Cobra... That's just the kind of walk around the house gun you're talking about... :D
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, we moved in town a couple of years ago but when we were out in the country we also had a copperhead problem. I kept my Ruger bearcat loaded with CCI shotcaps and they worked perfectly.

I tested these on potatoes and they really chewed them up.

IMHO, the .22's are good for any snake - head shot. Covers about a 3" -4" diameter shot from 6 feet away.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

s

Post by GoatGuy »

Thanks Paul, I agree with the wadcutter recommendation. And I'm not sure that a solid wouldn't have done less damage to Pepper's bed (one hole vs shredded bedding). Most of my shots come about when I'm on the tractor or 4 wheeler and the snakes are moving pretty quick to get out of the way. The shotshells seem to give me an edge on those occasions. Kinda like squirrel hunting with 2 3/4" 20 gauge vs .22lr early in the season when the woods are still in heavy leaf cover.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Hobie, I'm a Tyler fan big time. Use the T's on most of my revolvers, In fact I have one on the S&W 67 that I dispatched the copperhead with this a.m. Also a big fan of the "dick special" and variants.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have a Bond Snake slayer in 45lc/.410 just for such a case. I carry it quite a lot when out in the woods. I don't have a snake problem in my yard or I would carry it a lot more than I do. I happen to have it with me in my carry pack today, loaded with solids with .410 shells at the ready.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Goodness! I hope the politicos in my state don't see these posts - they will be mortified!

Since I live in the Condor zone in California, I use only Barnes copper solids to dispatch snakes.
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

Like JohndeFresno, I live in the so-called Condor Zone where we don't have copperheads or condors. However, we do have rattlesnakes and use the CCI shotshells in a 45 Colt. Only 2 this year, so far. Spring is always the worst time because the baby rattlers are on the move. We find them in the barn and around the house. The adults tend to stay hidden in the grassy hills.

Bob A
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Been using the Speer Shot Capsules (.45C) for a couple of years (I think Hobie made the suggestion) and have been happy. Easy & cheap to make up and work well out of the 5.5" NM Vaquero and the M92 Rossi (single feed). IIRC 6gn Unique with as much #7 shot as I can fit. Only one rattler this year, but it was one shot one kill... :P
Tom

Last edited by don Tomás on Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

BUDDY OF MINE GOT BIT LAST YEAR DURING TURKEY SEASON.
THE COPPERHEAD DID NOT INJECT ANY VENUM...THANK GOD...
WE HAVE OUR SHARE OF POISONESS SNAKES HERE IN FLORIDA...
WE HAVE LOTS OF EASTERN DIAMOND BACKS
PIGMY RATTLERS
COPPERHEADS
WATER MOCCASINS...COTTON MOUTH...THEY ARE EVERYWHERE :shock:
CORAL SNAKES AND PINE SNAKES....
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I witnessed a buddy shoot a Timber rattler that was snuggled up next to our camp one year with the CCI 38 special shot loads - that guy went limp pretty quick. IMO those shells work real when for thost vermin....
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

RIHMFIRE wrote:WATER MOCCASINS...COTTON MOUTH...THEY ARE EVERYWHERE :shock:
I popped a Water Moccasin out by the lake last year. Used a Smith 648 and the CCI 22Mag shotshell with the dose of #11. Worked quite well. I've used the CCI 22LR shotshell in the past but that was the first one with the Magnum. It was pretty definitive ... which is good because those things are pretty irritable snakes and will chase you down if threatened.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

I've shot rattlesnakes (have lots of them on my rural land) with bullets and even shot shells. They don't die fast - but I've found that a quick chop with a shovel (right behind the head) is the cheapest and fastest way to take care of them.

I've also used hedge pruners - but only on the small ones as I prefer to keep more distance from the big ones.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Any of you eat the snake afterwards? I like fried rattlesnake.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I may get a pellet pistol to carry just for snakes. Lead ban doesn't apply to pellets!

I came upon a pretty big rattler two years ago, he was drinking from the creek. Fat as my arm and he had nine sets of rattles. I had my rifle but at the time didn't know if killing snakes was legal. So I passed, and he rattled me as I left. Creepy sound!

Next time I'll take him, I want a snakeskin and might even try the meat.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

MikeS. wrote:Any of you eat the snake afterwards? I like fried rattlesnake.
Howdy Mike,
Once a year our VFW Post has a rattlesnake feed. Guys will save them up for a year in their freezers (I'm not one of them, the Better Half draws the line at having frozen rattlesnake in her freezer :P). Deep fried, they're pretty good...
Tom
Last edited by don Tomás on Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I used the CCI 38 shotshells in my .357 magnum chambered "Bang-Stick" for dispatching larger gamefish before bringing on board, and sharks that get too friendly while diving. I seal the primer and crimp with clear nail polish.
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

I hate snakes ,,

New York State loves them, They even worry about snakes suffering from ""physiological stress"

Read following:

Mine Owner Found Guilty of Harming Rattlesnakes with Four-Foot Fence

Since 1990, Jay Montfort of Fishkill, New York has been trying to expand a gravel mine on his own land. But the New York Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has been finding one excuse after another not to give Montfort the permission he needs to expand. Montfort believes "the motivation for such abusive tactics appears to be the desire of the state" and a local conservation group, Scenic Hudson, to acquire his property for a land trust.

For four years, the rationale was that Montfort's mine would threaten a den of rattlesnakes that dwell near the property. Rattlesnakes are protected under New York's endangered species law. DEC officials claim that a four-foot, wire-mesh fence Montfort built around his property to protect his employees was illegal because it reduced the snake's habitat by about 20% and would inflict "physiological stress" on the snakes. In early 1999, a New York state judge ruled that Montfort's fence did pose a threat to the snakes. Montfort will do as he has been doing for nine years now and appeal yet another unfavorable decision.

Source: Property Rights Foundation
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

oldmax,
You are putting us on , right?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

MikeS. wrote:Any of you eat the snake afterwards? I like fried rattlesnake.
You "like" rattlesnake? Tried it once, it sure don't taste like chicken. Maybe we didn't season it right.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

In the last month I have shot 4 copper heads and 2 cotton mouths, all with my Ruger 22 auto. pistol.

I have given up on the 38/357 shot loads. The cotton mouths that I see are to far out in my lake to do any good with shot loads and the copper heads are close enough to easily hit with the 22, plus I can use the 22 on the trutles. Not to mention that the 38/357 shot shells are $1.00 each.
when your enemy is within range so are you
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like using a hoe or a sharpened shovel on them as it is quiet, and I live in the city. Neighbors would get scared if they heard a gunshot. My Dad used to work on natural gas wells and there were a bunch of rattlesnakes around them in our part of the U.S. He carried a sharpened long handled shovel with him. It was sharp enough to slice paper, and he resharpened it after each snake dispatched. He used another shovel to bury the dead snake. At one time he had a large coffee can full of rattles. I think he finally threw that can full of rattles away after he retired.
In the Army we had a Sergeant from Kentucky who could spit Red Man about 6 feet. He splashed several snakes in the face with it. When the snake opened its mouth and the tobacco juice dripped in the snake flipped on its back and went into convulsions. Every time. They all died qretty quick, too. I am not going to start chewing tobacco just to try it and see if it works for me. Having a mouthful of someone else's tobacco spit would probably make me go into convulsions, though.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Allways have a Bond Arms "Cowboy" derringer 45/410 in my back pocket.I have killed 9 copperheads in the last 5 years here.The beagle has a way of Bay'n when a copperhead is found.I got my wife a Cold Steel Zulu short Spear to use when I am not at home.She has killed 2 copperheads,1 coral snake and 1 diamondback :D !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

Story is true

Scroll down in following.

http://www.propertyrightsresearch.org/e ... t_list.htm

Verification

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A96F958260

I lived in the area, Knew the Guy ( casually from working at the airport )

And The state does want the land , That is the primary reason they
are protecting the snakes. ,
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - Copperheads and CCI Shotshells, oh my!

Post by 1894 »

Yup , that sounds like typical NYS BS to me . I've heard that even trying to gently encourage a rattlesnake off a trail with a stick is a ticketable offence. :roll:
Phil
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I keep these around in 357 for use in my Blackhawks and 45 Colt for use in the Super Redhawk in 454 Casull. These always do the job up to 10 ft. away.

Eating Rattletail? This usually ends up like "Hey man, if you just want the rattles, can I have the rest?" I always get a Rattletail for the frying pan.

My recipe for Rattletail is as follows: ABSOLUTELY FIRST REMOVE THE HEAD!!! This is the dangerous end!
Chill the critter for about 2 hours after it's been skinned and gutted this is done with scissors to split the belly and remove the intestines. Pull the skin down to the tail. Wash with cold water and cut into 1 1/2" chunks, and soak in buttermilk for an hour or while getting everything else ready. Mix up 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup corn meal, salt, pepper, garlic powder, sage, cumin (just a pinch). Dip Rattletail in egg, roll in dry stuff, and toss in deep fryer, until golden brown. Also fry up French fries, hush puppies, or onion rings (which I prefer). Sit down with an icy cold beer and enjoy your dinner.

This is totally optional. Remember the head that you removed? After you fixed your plate and poured your beer. Set the head in front of you, facing you. Sit down, extend your middle finger, and enjoy. After your done, bury the head in your back yard.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

GoatGuy wrote:going about work on the place, I carry a 38 spec. with several CCI shotshells in the cylinder. They work as advertised! Anyone else use this load in any caliber for such work?

I have a set of the RCBS 45 acp shot shell dies, you cut down any brass from the .308 family to make the case, then use a shortened REM .410 wad, it hold's around a 130 #9 shot , I use a 35 cal gas check crimped in the mouth of the case to hold the shot in, I use 231 powder for a measured 1200+ FPS. and the finished rounds will feed and function from the magazine of a 1911.

It is death on any small vermin out to around 15 yrds, a neat thing is the rifling puts very little if any spin on the wad and shot, the REM wad has a unique gas seal on its bottom that will barely make the seal in a .451.452 groove, it was a bit of a balancing act at first to find the right powder charge that would not blow the seal and thus the pattern and still give reliable functioning. But hey that's part of the fun.

good shooting
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

How much does 130 #9 shot weigh?
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

mescalero1 wrote:How much does 130 #9 shot weigh?
Roughly 115 grs, depending on your shot -- manufacturer, chilled verses magnum etc
good shooting
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

J35nut,
Thanks for the info
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have used the .22 CCI shotshells on alot of snakes here in Arkansas,all with the end result being they were not a problem latter.I have loaded the .38spl and .44spl with the CCI capsules for many years and have had the same results with them too. Years ago I read an article by Mike Venturino on loading the .45Colt with gas checks. That is an excellent snake load in my 5 1/2 inch Colt SAA. I keep an old single action .22 on ttop of the fridge from early spring until early winter loaded with CCI shotshells. In this part of Arkansas there is just to much rock on and in the ground to shoot a bullet down around my feet,so I'll stick to shot for snakes.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15