Marlin 990

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Nath
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 7540
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: England

Marlin 990

#1 Post by Nath » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:40 pm

Well folks I got me one of the above.
They were only made between 79 & 87 apparently.
It's a great shooter and very reliable. I particularly like the cycling. I am not a fan of a lot of auto 22's by their cycling sensation but these are sweet.
Accuracy is excellent too.
Got two bunnies today. One at 47 (photo) and one at something like 130 yards.

Oh, the glasses are for big brothers benefit not you guys.

Image

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!

User avatar
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper
Posts: 11611
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:32 pm
Location: The wrong side of the pond.

Re: Marlin 990

#2 Post by gamekeeper » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:52 pm

Nice going whoever you are....... :lol:
From his weapons on the open road no man should step one pace away, you don't know for certain when you're out on the road when you might have need of your spear.
Havamal ( Viking collection of common sense )

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 3306
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:34 am
Location: north of Palacios about 1400 miles

Re: Marlin 990

#3 Post by 3leggedturtle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:33 pm

Please tell me you aint gonna go all "tactical" along with spray and pray! :lol: todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage: The Original short action, compact, high velocity cartridge.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 7540
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: England

Re: Marlin 990

#4 Post by Nath » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:04 pm

3leggedturtle wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:33 pm
Please tell me you aint gonna go all "tactical" along with spray and pray! :lol: todd/3leg
By the time I get on my knees to pray, pray and get up again the shooting will be over any way!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!

User avatar
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 3980
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:57 am
Location: Not where I want to be!

Re: Marlin 990

#5 Post by GunnyMack » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:13 pm

That's a very nice looking riffel, looks a lot like the model 60- yes they are great 22s. When I lived out in Colorado I kept my 22s sighted in for 100, 6000 ft elevation (sure helps rimfires ) and would use it out to 200 with about a prarie dog of hold over while shooting up the dog towns.
There is only one Earth. Do it a favor? GET OFF.

User avatar
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Posts: 12711
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: S.E.Pa..Where Trump Is Supported And Colt New Service Targets Are The Best Belly Guns

Re: Marlin 990

#6 Post by Sixgun » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:24 pm

Not bad Nath......you look like Elton John with those "glasses". (I still prefer the "fox look".). -----6
Donald Trumps Wall Will Work
After 2,000 Years, China Still Does Not Have Any Mexicans.
Image

User avatar
J Miller
Member Emeritus
Posts: 14542
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Not in IL no more ... :)

Re: Marlin 990

#7 Post by J Miller » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:26 pm

I had the Glenfield Mdl 60 version of that rifle back in the late 70s. Shot great and functioned well too.
It was stolen and although I'd love to get another, I never have.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***

User avatar
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 3980
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:57 am
Location: Not where I want to be!

Re: Marlin 990

#8 Post by GunnyMack » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Sixgun wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:24 pm
Not bad Nath......you look like Elton John with those "glasses". (I still prefer the "fox look".). -----6
That's it Six!! Perfect idea for you Nath you need to photoshop a fox head onto yourself when posting pics!
There is only one Earth. Do it a favor? GET OFF.

User avatar
Pete44ru
Posting leader...
Posts: 10963
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:26 am
Location: Southern New England

Re: Marlin 990

#9 Post by Pete44ru » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:07 pm

GunnyMack wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:13 pm


That's a very nice looking riffel, looks a lot like the model 60- yes they are great 22s.


It looks like you grabbed a nice specimen, Nath !

And, yes - Marlin made literally dozens of "different" models (names/numbers/stock design/stock material/etc), all using the same action.

.
IF IN THESE TYMES OF JEOPARDY,
MORTAL PERIL INVADES THY THOUGHT,
TAKE UP THIS TRVSTY PIECE,
TRVST IN THY GOD, AND FEAR THEE NAUGHT.

(The avatar is me, in 1948 ! )

.

Bronco
Levergunner 3.0
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:03 am
Location: Idaho

Re: Marlin 990

#10 Post by Bronco » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:34 pm

Who was that masked man ?

Hioooo Silver away. :mrgreen:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!

User avatar
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Posts: 12711
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: S.E.Pa..Where Trump Is Supported And Colt New Service Targets Are The Best Belly Guns

Re: Marlin 990

#11 Post by Sixgun » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:22 pm

GunnyMack wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:43 pm
Sixgun wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:24 pm
Not bad Nath......you look like Elton John with those "glasses". (I still prefer the "fox look".). -----6
That's it Six!! Perfect idea for you Nath you need to photoshop a fox head onto yourself when posting pics!
Oh man! My sickness is rubbing off on you Gunny. But....that would be perfect......Nath wearing a fox hat with a bullet hole through the forehead.....the foxes head mind you......we can't lose any pro gun guys from the big island. We could rename Nath "Nathan Crockett"....King of the English Frontier.!---6
Donald Trumps Wall Will Work
After 2,000 Years, China Still Does Not Have Any Mexicans.
Image

Nath
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 7540
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: England

Re: Marlin 990

#12 Post by Nath » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:33 pm

Sixgun wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:22 pm
GunnyMack wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:43 pm
Sixgun wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:24 pm
Not bad Nath......you look like Elton John with those "glasses". (I still prefer the "fox look".). -----6
That's it Six!! Perfect idea for you Nath you need to photoshop a fox head onto yourself when posting pics!
Oh man! My sickness is rubbing off on you Gunny. But....that would be perfect......Nath wearing a fox hat with a bullet hole through the forehead.....the foxes head mind you......we can't lose any pro gun guys from the big island. We could rename Nath "Nathan Crockett"....King of the English Frontier.!---6
Ok ok. Drop the fox head thing now. Step away from the fox head ,big Island and frontier thing.
Besides, it's more like a jungle, like the one Guns n Roses describe!!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!

piller
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 8209
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:49 pm
Location: South of Dallas

Re: Marlin 990

#13 Post by piller » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:53 am

I have an old Marlin Glenfield 60 which looks similar. It hasn't been fired in years. I probably need to get it cleaned well enough to remove the lead buildup. It used to shoot accurately, but not anymore.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost

Nath
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 7540
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: England

Re: Marlin 990

#14 Post by Nath » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:43 am

piller wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:53 am
I have an old Marlin Glenfield 60 which looks similar. It hasn't been fired in years. I probably need to get it cleaned well enough to remove the lead buildup. It used to shoot accurately, but not anymore.
You not been putting Remington ammo through it have you :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!

User avatar
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 3964
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:40 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Marlin 990

#15 Post by marlinman93 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:09 am

The 990 Marlin is the same tried and true action used for many decades in the Model 60. The Model 60 design has spawned a great number of other models of Marlin .22RF rifles, and will just keep chugging along reliably if it just gets occasional cleaning and maintenance.
I bought a Model 60 in 1968 and had it up until a couple years ago when my youngest daughter asked if she could have it someday? I gave it to her then so she wont have to wait until I'm gone to enjoy it. It still functions perfectly, and is very accurate.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

User avatar
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper
Posts: 11611
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:32 pm
Location: The wrong side of the pond.

Re: Marlin 990

#16 Post by gamekeeper » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:23 am

My MagTec 2270 is a cheap knock off of the Marlin action, for a cheap semi auto .22 it is pretty smooth. I always wanted the Marlin 60 they made with a M1 style stock. The 990 looks like a quality rifle.... :mrgreen:
From his weapons on the open road no man should step one pace away, you don't know for certain when you're out on the road when you might have need of your spear.
Havamal ( Viking collection of common sense )

Nath
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 7540
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: England

Re: Marlin 990

#17 Post by Nath » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:37 pm

Been working on the trigger today. Must be half the weight and still on standard springs.
It strips down easier than a 1022 too.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!

piller
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 8209
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:49 pm
Location: South of Dallas

Re: Marlin 990

#18 Post by piller » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:11 am

Nath wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:43 am
piller wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:53 am
I have an old Marlin Glenfield 60 which looks similar. It hasn't been fired in years. I probably need to get it cleaned well enough to remove the lead buildup. It used to shoot accurately, but not anymore.
You not been putting Remington ammo through it have you :wink:
No, Winchester.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost

Nath
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 7540
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: England

Re: Marlin 990

#19 Post by Nath » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:10 am

piller wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:11 am
Nath wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:43 am
piller wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:53 am
I have an old Marlin Glenfield 60 which looks similar. It hasn't been fired in years. I probably need to get it cleaned well enough to remove the lead buildup. It used to shoot accurately, but not anymore.
You not been putting Remington ammo through it have you :wink:
No, Winchester.
I have run 100 t22 through it and they are not very good but the Winchester lasers are excellent.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!

piller
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 8209
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:49 pm
Location: South of Dallas

Re: Marlin 990

#20 Post by piller » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:22 am

Nath wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:10 am
piller wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:11 am
Nath wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:43 am
piller wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:53 am
I have an old Marlin Glenfield 60 which looks similar. It hasn't been fired in years. I probably need to get it cleaned well enough to remove the lead buildup. It used to shoot accurately, but not anymore.
You not been putting Remington ammo through it have you :wink:
No, Winchester.
I have run 100 t22 through it and they are not very good but the Winchester lasers are excellent.
I used to only use the Federal 36 grain copper plated HP, and it was as accurate as I could ask for it to be, then the shortages hit. I ran about 100 Winchester through it and it has never shot accurately since. I tried Ed's red to get the lead out. No luck. I have avoided anything that is non FMJ by Winchester since that time.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost

Nath
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 7540
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: England

Re: Marlin 990

#21 Post by Nath » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:19 pm

piller wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:22 am
Nath wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:10 am
piller wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:11 am
Nath wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:43 am


You not been putting Remington ammo through it have you :wink:
No, Winchester.
I have run 100 t22 through it and they are not very good but the Winchester lasers are excellent.
I used to only use the Federal 36 grain copper plated HP, and it was as accurate as I could ask for it to be, then the shortages hit. I ran about 100 Winchester through it and it has never shot accurately since. I tried Ed's red to get the lead out. No luck. I have avoided anything that is non FMJ by Winchester since that time.
Interesting and noted.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!

User avatar
cas
Senior Levergunner
Posts: 1340
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: Under the giant W

Re: Marlin 990

#22 Post by cas » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:20 pm

That's some darn fine shootin' with that blindfold on!
Slow is just slow.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 7540
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: England

Re: Marlin 990

#23 Post by Nath » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:17 am

cas wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:20 pm
That's some darn fine shootin' with that blindfold on!
8)

Did an experiment yesterday.
The lightest of oiling resulted in ejection failures and feeding issues.
The oil withing 50 rounds had turned to sticky gunk!
Cleaned and run dry, back to normal!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!

piller
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 8209
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:49 pm
Location: South of Dallas

Re: Marlin 990

#24 Post by piller » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:07 am

Which brand of ammunition?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MGR1 and 15 guests