Hurricane Michael Damage - Before and After

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:06 pm
Location: Southern Maine

Hurricane Michael Damage - Before and After

#1 Post by Old No7 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Wow…

I know no hurricane is good, but Hurricane Michael sure was bad!!! I just saw these "before & after" images on the web –- and it sure is sobering…….

Mother Nature is NOT to be fooled with –- she sure can be a mean muther! :shock:

Prayers up for all those affected.

Old No7

( Click on images to enlarge )

Ivy Road Estates, Panama City – before:

01 Before.jpg

Ivy Road Estates, Panama City – after:

01 After.jpg


Hangars at Tyndall AFB – before:

02 Before.jpg

Hangars at Tyndall AFB – after:

02 After.jpg


Display Aircraft at Tyndall AFB – before:

03 Before.jpg

Display Aircraft at Tyndall AFB – after:

03 After.jpg


Panama City waterfront – before:

04 Before.jpg

Panama City waterfront – after:

04 After.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

User avatar
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 5126
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:39 pm
Location: On the Beach

Re: Hurricane Michael Damage - Before and After

#2 Post by jeepnik » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:01 pm

The photos of Tyndall bring to mind what Eglin looked like after the hurricane, Louise(?), hit there in the 70’s. Airbases are built pretty tough. Mother Nature is tougher. Pray all are safe and recovery is fast.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferrably in the dark"
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it"

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 3946
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:05 am
Location: Alamogordo, NM

Re: Hurricane Michael Damage - Before and After

#3 Post by Bill in Oregon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:41 am

I was somehow surprised at the damage to Tyndall as well.

User avatar
AJMD429
Posting leader...
Posts: 23564
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:03 am
Location: Hoosierland
Contact:

Re: Hurricane Michael Damage - Before and After

#4 Post by AJMD429 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:51 am

It sure sorts out the buildings that were built well versus not.... :|

I was in Virginia Beach, and interested in the 'elevations' there, and even in the middle of the peninsula the city is on, the topographic maps show the elevation between 5 and 10 feet, and that's a mile or so from the beach.

I don't know what the 'reference' elevation is though - at my home in Indiana, we're 600-700 feet above 'sea level' so I never really cared whether 'sea level' is high tide or low, and full moon or quarter moon, or whatever, but 5-10 feet is not much protection from something as huge as an ocean.

Even if I owned land that was beach-front, I think the only structure I'd try to build would be a masonry one, and I'd not keep anything water would damage there that wasn't inexpensive and replaceable. I'm surprised anyone can get insurance there, given the unavoidability of damage when a hurricane hits, and the eventual inevitability of one hitting.
PhotoSuckit Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.


Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

gcs
Levergunner 2.0
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:42 pm

Re: Hurricane Michael Damage - Before and After

#5 Post by gcs » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:27 pm

Here on Long Island, we've had , and weathered numerous hurricanes and nor easters, the immediate waterfront and barrier beaches get hammered, and the surge flooding covers the real low elevations adjacent to the shorefront, after that its mainly a wind event, we dont have the rivers that flood due to the torrential rains, and the lowland bottoms that take forever to drain.
Im at 15 feet, and about 1/4 mile from the bay and have never been flooded, this place didnt even flood during the infamous 38 hurricane, but a huge hotel at the foot of the road,(under 1/4 mi away) dissapeared.
If it happened before, it will happen again, yet people keep building in harms way and expect to be rescued, compensated, and taken care of in spite of their poor choices.
I feel bad for the folks who died, or became homeless and lost everything, but frankly, it was inevitable. You dont cross a busy highway blindfolded, and you dont build in a hazard zone, cause sooner or later, bad things will happen.

User avatar
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 5126
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:39 pm
Location: On the Beach

Re: Hurricane Michael Damage - Before and After

#6 Post by jeepnik » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:19 pm

AJMD429 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:51 am
It sure sorts out the buildings that were built well versus not.... :|

I was in Virginia Beach, and interested in the 'elevations' there, and even in the middle of the peninsula the city is on, the topographic maps show the elevation between 5 and 10 feet, and that's a mile or so from the beach.

I don't know what the 'reference' elevation is though - at my home in Indiana, we're 600-700 feet above 'sea level' so I never really cared whether 'sea level' is high tide or low, and full moon or quarter moon, or whatever, but 5-10 feet is not much protection from something as huge as an ocean.

Even if I owned land that was beach-front, I think the only structure I'd try to build would be a masonry one, and I'd not keep anything water would damage there that wasn't inexpensive and replaceable. I'm surprised anyone can get insurance there, given the unavoidability of damage when a hurricane hits, and the eventual inevitability of one hitting.
If I remember correctly, the "reference level" is mean tide level on USGS topos.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferrably in the dark"
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it"

TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:45 am

Re: Hurricane Michael Damage - Before and After

#7 Post by TWHBC » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:55 pm

https://amp.businessinsider.com/us-air- ... ts-2018-10

Saw this today about F-22 and F-35 damage at Tyndall. ThoughtvI saw somewhere that the planes were flown to other bases before the hurricane hit?

41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0
Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:05 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Hurricane Michael Damage - Before and After

#8 Post by 41 Redhawk » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:12 pm

The ones that were left there were grounded due to maintenance issues.
The Lord Bless You

Terry

User avatar
Pitchy
Posting leader...
Posts: 9741
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:15 am
Location: Minnesooooota

Re: Hurricane Michael Damage - Before and After

#9 Post by Pitchy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Terrible, prayers continuing for all involved.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
He was the best little dog i ever had !!!!!
Sometimes I don`t even understand myself.

User avatar
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 8103
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Hurricane Michael Damage - Before and After

#10 Post by FWiedner » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:27 pm

41 Redhawk wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:12 pm
The ones that were left there were grounded due to maintenance issues.
I'd read that there were 55 F22's stationed at Tyndall and they'd successfully relocated 33 to another field.

But at 300-million per aircraft, maintenance issues or whatever, you'd think that the USAF could rent a few trucks.

:roll:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

User avatar
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 5126
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:39 pm
Location: On the Beach

Re: Hurricane Michael Damage - Before and After

#11 Post by jeepnik » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:50 pm

FWiedner wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:27 pm
41 Redhawk wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:12 pm
The ones that were left there were grounded due to maintenance issues.
I'd read that there were 55 F22's stationed at Tyndall and they'd successfully relocated 33 to another field.

But at 300-million per aircraft, maintenance issues or whatever, you'd think that the USAF could rent a few trucks.

:roll:
I'd not be surprised if they were eventually repaired. Their airframes are carbon composite. Fairly easy to replace the panels.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferrably in the dark"
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it"

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nath, octagon, Tycer and 12 guests