.30-30 and Alliant powders

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

.30-30 and Alliant powders

Post by Slick13 »

Was looking at Alliant's reload data for the .30-30 using Reloder 7 and Reloder 15. The loads with Reloder 7 are quite a bit slower in velocity. Is this correct? Doesn't Reloder 7 produce higher velocities?

Thanks,

~Michael
Hobie

Re: .30-30 and Alliant powders

Post by Hobie »

Slick13 wrote:Was looking at Alliant's reload data for the .30-30 using Reloder 7 and Reloder 15. The loads with Reloder 7 are quite a bit slower in velocity. Is this correct? Doesn't Reloder 7 produce higher velocities?

Thanks,

~Michael
Current version of RL-7 is about ideal for the .38-55 so I imagine it is a bit fast for optimal performance in the .30-30. I really wonder why you think that if you are looking at Alliant's data that you should question it? Do you have a reason to do so?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Re: .30-30 and Alliant powders

Post by Slick13 »

Hobie wrote:
Slick13 wrote:Was looking at Alliant's reload data for the .30-30 using Reloder 7 and Reloder 15. The loads with Reloder 7 are quite a bit slower in velocity. Is this correct? Doesn't Reloder 7 produce higher velocities?

Thanks,

~Michael
Current version of RL-7 is about ideal for the .38-55 so I imagine it is a bit fast for optimal performance in the .30-30. I really wonder why you think that if you are looking at Alliant's data that you should question it? Do you have a reason to do so?
Well, IIRC, my Lyman manual shows much higher velocities than Alliant with RL7, AND, after writing Hodgdon about my experience with H4895 in the .25-35 Winchester, their data was changed and the max load dropped from 27 grains down to 22.5 grains. So, I don't always blindly trust what's written in a manual, and I'm wondering if people's actual experience matches what Alliant has on their website, or maybe Alliant has the velocities flip flopped for RL7 and RL15.

~Michael
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

I think the Alliant data looks reasonable. RL 7 is a pretty fast powder and RL 15 is much slower. As you would expect, RL 7 gives good velocity with the 125 gr Sierra but the RL 15 has much better velocity with the 150 and 170 gr bullets. RL 15 is even better when using a longer barrel because the slower burning powder continues to push the bullet all the way to the muzzel.
I started using RL 7 because I was loading for 110 and 125 gr bullets. I got good velocity and very good accuracy. I find that I also get good accuracy with 150 jacketed and 170 gr cast. I use a slower powder (Varget) when loading for 170 gr jacketed bullets. I will probably try RL 15 some day, but I don't use a lot of the 170s and may not run out of Varget for a while.

Bob A
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I have 10 rounds made up to test for accuracy/velocity with the Speer 150 FP and RL 15. I'll post a range report when I get a chance to shoot again.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I have used Re7 and 150 gr Winchester PPs for about 15 years now. It performs well for me. I have no reason to change.

Papalote
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

TomF wrote:I have used Re7 and 150 gr Winchester PPs for about 15 years now. It performs well for me. I have no reason to change.
Papalote
I'm with Tom, RE-7 and 150gr cast or Speer jacketed have been giving me around 2200fps, pretty much match my factory 150gr loads from either Remington or Federal. I am using near max loads according to their website data.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Which Lyman Manual? RE-7 has changed some over the years. I believe it was a bit slower before and so with current lots you must drop the charge a bit. That would explain the difference (not accounting for differing barrel lengths, etc).

IME, the ONLY way to KNOW how a powder that you can get now will perform with the bullets you choose in your rifle is to try it. Everything is more or less extrapolation based on averages.

I agree about not blindly following the manuals, hence working up loads, but one shouldn't blindly discount them either.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Tried some Reloder 15 this weekend with Sierra's 170 grain bullet. Alliant lists 34.1 as the max load, so I started at 30.5 grains. After putting that amount of powder in the case, then looking at the 170 grain bullet, I knew there was no way anyone would ever fit 34.1 grains in there under any 170 grain bullet. Checked my Lyman #48 manual, and they list 32 grains of Reloder 15 with a 170 grain bullet as a max, compressed load.

Headed to the range and tried these new load out. Velocity wasn't as high or consistent as I'd have like (in the 1920 to 1980 fps range), but groups at 50 yards were good. See below:

Up until now I thought Speer's 150 grain bullet with BL-C(2) was what my gun liked best. I think the Sierra's 170 grain is going to work out nice too. Would like to get the velocity up in the 2100 fps range though.

~Michael
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

From what I gather RL15 is about tops velocity wise. Best acuracy tho isn't often at the top of the scale.
That said I'v pretty much settled on BLC2 for 30/30.
cslcal
Levergunner

Post by cslcal »

I have been using 34.0 grs. of RE-15 with a 170 Sierra for my Silhouette ram loads for about a year now. That load is very accurate and gives me 2345 fps. It really thumps the rams. Varget is also an excellent choice, but is a little slower in the velosity department. Al Foust
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

cslcal wrote:I have been using 34.0 grs. of RE-15 with a 170 Sierra for my Silhouette ram loads for about a year now. That load is very accurate and gives me 2345 fps.
Wow, that's some serious butt for that weight bullet in a .30-30! :shock: With velocity like that, who needs Hornady's new ammo, right?! :D

Are you getting these speeds out of a 20" or 24" barrel?

How's your overall length? Are you still at 2.55" or loading beyond that? Is there any powder compression, and if so, any idea how much?

Thanks,

~Michael
cslcal
Levergunner

Post by cslcal »

I have a Win 94 Canadian Cent. with a 26 in. barrel. That load in a 24 in. Marlin I had was 90 fps. slower. I seat to the cannalure on the bullet. I am not sure if it is compressed. Several of my fellow silhouette shooters are using this charge also with good results. Al Foust
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

cslcal wrote:I have a Win 94 Canadian Cent. with a 26 in. barrel. That load in a 24 in. Marlin I had was 90 fps. slower. I seat to the cannalure on the bullet. I am not sure if it is compressed. Several of my fellow silhouette shooters are using this charge also with good results. Al Foust
I loaded up a few more rounds with a half grain more powder (31 gr total) than the last bunch, and for the heck of it, one with 34 grains. It all fits (suprisingly). I can't hear any powder moving around so it's full. Don't know how compressed is. Hope to get to the range this even, and see how things go.

~Michael