Small imprint on Winchester '94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RandyC
Levergunner

Small imprint on Winchester '94

Post by RandyC »

Just curious. It's a small imprint ( a logo-like P over a W inside an oval ) located on the forward top of the receiver with a matching one nearby on the top of the barrel. This is on a '56 in .30-.30.

I just never noticed them before and they're quite small. Heck, for all I know all '94s may have them and I may be the only guy on here who doesn't know what it means.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Small imprint on Winchester '94

Post by jhrosier »

It is a Winchester proof mark.

Jack
RandyC
Levergunner

Post by RandyC »

Thanks Jack.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

FYI, Winchester quit stamping the receivers with that proof mark post-64. They continued stamping the barrels.
I used to wonder if that was significant of anything.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

J Miller wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:17 pm FYI, Winchester quit stamping the receivers with that proof mark post-64. They continued stamping the barrels.

Joe
Because starting in 1963-64 the receivers ceased to be milled steel and became cast (sintered) metal. Stamping them would probably break them
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

vancelw wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:35 am
J Miller wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:17 pm FYI, Winchester quit stamping the receivers with that proof mark post-64. They continued stamping the barrels.

Joe
Because starting in 1963-64 the receivers ceased to be milled steel and became cast (sintered) metal. Stamping them would probably break them
That wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Although I have owned many post-64s that were perfectly usable rifles, they definitely were not as nice as pre-64s. And I'll bet they never did meet the proof requirements of the WP proof mark.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

vancelw wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:35 am
J Miller wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:17 pmFYI, Winchester quit stamping the receivers with that proof mark post-64. They continued stamping the barrels.
Joe
I doubt that very much. The stamped serial number at the bottom of the receiver is very much deeper, indicating a much firmer "stamp"... and have seen no evidence that it has impinged on the integrity of the receiver. If anything... it saved time... and in the days of the bean counter run anything, that cost would have needed to be recouped... thru a higher price point... and as we already know, they weren't making "enough" money on the mdl 94. :twisted: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mad trapper
Levergunner

Post by mad trapper »

I found a new,unfired 94 last year, so I got it out to check for the proof mark.
I couldnt get clear focus on the mark, it is small.
Serial # dates it to 1956.
I cant bring myself to shoot it, until I do it is a safe queen.