Carrying rossi 92 broken down

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Carrying rossi 92 broken down

Post by mickbr »

Just as in removing the stock. I'd like to do this for hiking in on foot with a backpack. I don't need quick access to the gun but reducing it from 41" to 33" would be handy en route to the area. As long as I keep the springs etc protected does anyone see any problems with taking the stock on and off a couple times a month? Won't permanently loosen anything?
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: Carrying rossi 92 broken down

Post by Pisgah »

While doing it a few times probably wouldn't cause a problem, done regularly over time I think it would loosen the stock fit. In purpose-built takedown guns there is usually a mechanical means of taking up the slack that inevitably develops in the joint between barrel and receiver. Perhaps you could figure out something to lessen the likelihood of the stock fit going loose, but the fact that the wood is compressible would make it a challenge.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I realize it's a permanent solution, but you could cut it to 16 and make a trapper.
I have built a few of these and they are very compact and easy to live with when you are humping a lot of gear. They are easy to lash to a pack, etc.
I would worry about a lot of stock removal over the long haul.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You could obtain & modify a used/take-off Winchester 94 buttstock.

Like this:

https://kazanlak10.deviantart.com/art/T ... -264605361

or this:

If you're industrious, you can convert your Rossi into a real takedown rifle (courtesy of fellow levergunner, Roy Bertalotto):

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/rossi- ... rsion.html

mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Thanks fellas I will leave it as is then. I like the longer barrel on this gun so might just pick up another with short barrel for the trails.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I've not tried it yet but I've been thinking about this very thing. I believe that if you were to carefully bed around the upper and lower range (basically any good to metal contact point on the butt) as well as bed a custom length piller in place for the tang screw you could remove the stock as often as needed without damage. I haven't found any cheap beat up stocks to try this on however so as of now this is only theory.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, Winchester ( and, ergo, their clones) Model 92 & Model 94 buttstocks are nearly drop-in interchangeable, and there's a multitude of old/take-off Model 94 buttstocks available.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

How about a laminated stock from Boyd's? It would add weight being many layers of wood and glue!
I suppose a laminate stock could be cut behind the tang and a a bolt could be epoxyed in place and a nut in opposite end so you could screw/ unscrew it, however ATF might not like it much!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:04 pm How about a laminated stock from Boyd's? It would add weight being many layers of wood and glue!
I suppose a laminate stock could be cut behind the tang and a a bolt could be epoxyed in place and a nut in opposite end so you could screw/ unscrew it, however ATF might not like it much!

Per BATF: The overall length, with the stock extended, must be a minimum of 26" - the folded length is not a BATF issue.

Said folding stock, however, must be solidly attached to the rest of the gun, not a separate part.

Converting a handgun into a long gun (rifle), similar to this one, is how I found out (by asking BATF):

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok then, have to figure out a way to hinge it!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

HawkCreek wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:53 am I've not tried it yet but I've been thinking about this very thing. I believe that if you were to carefully bed around the upper and lower range (basically any good to metal contact point on the butt) as well as bed a custom length piller in place for the tang screw you could remove the stock as often as needed without damage. I haven't found any cheap beat up stocks to try this on however so as of now this is only theory.
I'm betting you're right.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Not my picture but I always thought this guy had an interesting idea. There were a lot more pictures but that is the only one I saved. He seemed to have used it for several years on other forums. Not easily seen in this picture but he had a longer bolt through the tang to hold the stock and then another extra hole drilled through the pistol grip portion of the "stock", that bolt was secured with a wing nut and he'd simply pull it when it was time to collapse the stock.

Tanqueray
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tanqueray »

If you wanted to retain the wooden factory stock, you could try countersink the top side of the tang and find an appropriately sized push pin to fit through.
Push pins are used on modern military weapons and paintball guns amongst other things, and are used easy to remove quickly.
Here’s a pic of what I’m referring too:

More meplat, more better.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I have thought of something along these lines also as much of what I do is backpack hunting. I had Hawks idea too, that if you bedded around the buttstock with epoxy that would reduce wear and tear of taking the gun down...but then decided even then something could chip off.
So now I am thinking of the old baby carbine, trapper, Amazon rubber tapper gun....and am looking for a 16 inch barrelled Rossi in .44 MAg, which are hard to find over here blued, they havn't brought any more into the country in the last year. I will settle for a .45 Colt, although that would mean I have to get set up for that caliber too then...
(Can actually get some 12 inch barreled versions over here, but in stainless, which I dont like, but they want too much money for them anyway.)
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain