If you are in Waco...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

If you are in Waco...

Post by Larkbill »

you really need to stop and see the Texas Rangers Hall of Fame and Museum. Lots of old leverguns and other artifacts, great pictures. Extremely well presented. The City of Waco operates it and does a first class job. Our first trip to Texas, really enjoyed all of it. Except the traffic. Austin and Houston were worse than anything we have in St. Louis.

Re: If you are in Waco...

Post by veeman »

I really enjoyed the Rangers HOF when we visited it last year, lots of neat stuff to see and read, plan on several hours there. The Alamo was OK, I felt the significance of a major battle is lost with it being located is the middle of a concrete world, nothing remained of where the battle actually took place, just the mission there, the face of The Alamo really, but what is there is neat to read and look at. Biggest disappointment for me on our Texas trip was the King Ranch. Took a $15 a head tour to look at a bunch of empty pastures, couple cows, couple turkeys, few deer, Hell, I got all that up here in Illinois for free. What a waste of time and money. Drove through the back yard of the main ranch house but still couldn't see anything because of the tree's. A few old out buildings is all. Altho the King Ranch museum was nice to look through in Kingsville.
But yes, the Rangers Hall Of Fame is a Definite must see. Sorry for the rant.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well worth stopping for. I toured that museum when visiting my daughter at Baylor. If in DFW, don't miss the Amon Carter Museum of American Art.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Stayed in a hotel across the river for a month 30+ years ago while I was working for the railroad. Never realized what it was.. :oops: Still haven't made time to see it, but I may fix that next week. Retirement is grand.

If you're ever SW of Abilene, north of Bronte...
http://fortchadbourne.org/antique-firearm-display.html
Fort Chadbourne has a nice collection of firearms.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Agreed, been lucky enough to have been by there twice. Second time, caught more details than the first. Block out two more toward four hours for your visit, slow down, take a breath, and dawdle over each exhibit.

For me the older stuff is more interesting than the new, and there's a lot more than just some fancy guns. Although there are *a lot* of fancy and significant firearms.

Go couple miles north on 35 to Heitmiller's steakhouse, it's a v. good local, non-chain eatery. Grab a menu and pencil when you walk in, mark it up as to your choices.

What's left of the branch davidian compound couple 'o miles east out of town. Directions available on the web. Not much to see, but it is historically significant.

Even more farther north on 35 is the Czech village area - be sure to stop for fresh kolaches. You can thank me later.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Dang Vance, I was in Buffalo Gap on a Texas visit (great grandparents married there about 1881) and did not realize this museum was in Bronte.
Wecsoger: Is Heitmiller's as good as Perini's in Buffalo Gap? I've had those kolaches and they are something!
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Bill in Oregon - not been to Perinis, but after I looked them up I'd sure like to go. I've sworn off flying for now at my present company so it could be a bit until I retire.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wec, someone told me that when George Bush was in the White House and wanted an honest-to-God Texas steak, he flew in meat and staff from Perinis. I dunno if it's true, but it's kind of fun to think it might be. I do so love Texas.

8)
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

wecsoger wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 10:40 am
Go couple miles north on 35 to Heitmiller's steakhouse, it's a v. good local, non-chain eatery. Grab a menu and pencil when you walk in, mark it up as to your choices.
I think you mean south on 35. I've never been to Heitmiller's but I will.

I quit my retirement job this past week and plan on taking advantage of my free time. Fishing and shooting and museums sounds like a good start.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Like Billy Walker sang; cross the brazos at Waco. The Ranger museum is just there on your left. Don't forget the Dr. Pepper museum. Most folks have forgotten that Dr. Pepper is older than Coke or Pepsi. North of Waco in the town of West is where you can get some of the best Kolaches in the world. The Czech folks there know how to make a pig in a blanket that is purely a delight to partake of.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost