Post-op night sweats

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post-op night sweats

Post by Bill in Oregon »

For me, this is the third most disagreeable side effect of back surgery, after the pain and the constipation. The latter two are mostly under control, but not the drenching night sweats. You "eech" and "ooch" you way under the covers, dial out the pain and eventually slip into blessed sleep, only to awaken an hour or more later drenched in sweat and shivering -- which also reignites the pain. Only thing for it is a change of bedding or the Band-Aid approach: a clean dry towel below and another above. You creep painfully back into your dry towel sandwich, teeth chattering, and finally go back to sleep.
After doing some online research, it turns out the post-op sweats can be caused in part by the pain killers, but the real culprit appears to be the anesthesia administered during surgery. It apparently interferes with the ability of the hypothalamus to regulate body temperature. The effect can last for days or weeks, and for a few unfortunate souls it can be permanent or nearly so. The same phenomena can explain the bouts of fever and chills some of us suffer after surgery. You are warned to contact your surgeon if post-op temps exceed 100.4, but I have had chill/sweat sessions where my temp went well over 101, only to be back down to 98 or lower five minutes later. It's a little unnerving, as no one wants signs of a post-op infection.
Just a head's up for anyone with surgery in their future. It is odd that this is almost never mentioned in the surgery manuals the doctors and hospitals load you up with in the weeks before your procedure.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Post-op night sweats

Post by earlmck »

Oh man, that sucks! I keep discovering that there are many things they don't tell you about these surgeries, and night sweats is a new one for me, which I'll add to my "things they don't tell you" list. I fortunately did not suffer those, so didn't get to discover them the hard way like you have, Bill. Other than that?

Friend of mine sent me this the other day which I'll now pass along as it seems so appropro:
maxine12.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

EEEEKKKK sounds terrible Bill, prayers up for a fast recovery.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Another fun fact the doctors don't tell you about pre op! Well it wouldn't change your mind about going forward, but at least you'd expect it!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Darn, I thought it was only me. I never even bothered to mention it to the doc.

I know that sometime things out of the past will make me wake up sweating. I just figured it was a dream I didn't remember, or didn't want to.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

I feel your pain. I've been having night sweats since my knee was replaced two weeks ago. I sleep in a t-shirt now and change it at least once a night and I have to flip the pillow.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Only had to change the towel once last night, so hoping this is a welcome trend.