Parts & busted knuckles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Parts & busted knuckles

Post by GunnyMack »

So last fall I had issue with right front brakes on my truck. Talked to my mechanic buddy, caliper hung up. Figured we would replace the pads. Was good to go until last week. Truck hasn't been getting much use lately. I jump in it last week, get to where I'm going and smoke is billowing out of wheel well! Call mechanic buddy and get new caliper & pads ordered up.
New caliper & pads on it yesterday.
I left this morning to go figure a job, truck is pulling to the right... Leave the job to pick up material for a different job, get to lumber yard an smoke is pouring out!
Call my buddy again to pick his brain, he tells me to call his son and pick his brain.
Seems the soft lines break down with time and either collapse or plug up not allowing brake fluid to return which causes the brakes to stick.
So now the truck has a new caliper, rotor and a second set of pads on it.
Hope this can/ may help you guys out if this happens to your rigs.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Parts & busted knuckles

Post by Griff »

My son sez that until you bleed on a mechanical repair, it hasn't been done right... The Mechanic Gods are only appeased thru blood sacrifice!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

If the brake cylinders are plastic they can swell causing brake drag. As well as rust in the brake cylinder. Letting the calipers hang by brake line may cause internal failure of brake line once agin causing brakes to drag. Bleeding the brakes as a regular maint. item always a good Idea. Check the run out and thickness on the brake disc. Turn or discs replace with new ones. Have new discs turned.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My old Dodge Dakota had an annual break bleeding listed as part of the maintenance schedule. I didn't find that out until I had a fron brake lock up.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

when you bleed the lines, you should bleed all of them. You start with the bleeder valve furthest from the master cylinder and work your way to the next closest till you get all four bleed. A good bleeder gun with a catch drum is the easiest and cleanest way to do it.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot