Met up with another Levergunner

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Met up with another Levergunner

Post by Griff »

Delivered in Spokane on Fri, and had a message from Les Staley that he was going to be at the Post Falls Gun Show on Sat & Sun. After putting my truck in the shop to get a couple of niggelin' little things fixed... I went over the the Gun Show late on Sat... met up with Les and his partner talked guns, walked around the show a bit... Then went and had dinner. Les' partner has a quite nice Winchester 1866 for sale... (original)... and Les still has a couple of M-1s... (the rifle, not the tank!)

Neat little gun show, not overly populated with the toys, candies and nick-knacks that one sees at some! But, probably enough to satisfy a wife who's not overly fond of guns & more guns. Saw a couple of Winchester 94s, from low 5 digit thru fairly recent 94AEs. Saw one mid 6 digit 1894 Win in .32-40... (see Sixgun, already shopping), OBFM, Lyman tang sight, but... IMO a tad over priced, but HEY, it was marked down to $1450! If I was a collector, not really interested in sellin', probably what I'd ask also!

The usual EBR stuff, and a couple of nicely rounded out tables of reference books! What I didn't see was a lot of reloading stuff... but it was late in the day, and what there was, was probably picked over. Did see a nice collection of Winchester & Lyman hand tools, but nothing in .32-40... a little smattering of antique cartridges (if those boxes had anything in them)...

While it was a great gun show, the meeting of Les Staley was the highlight. Great guy... he's the one looking pleased at having his picture taken! :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Met up with another Levergunner

Post by crs »

Griff,
Are you guys cousins?

PS Remember to drop by and pick up your roll of Po Boy's hog breakfast sausage. But no pictures, please!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

crs wrote:Griff,
Are you guys cousins?
I wouldn't know... I grew up as the proverbial red-headed step-child!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

HI MEN !!!

Brad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Good morning, Riflemen....

That there is a couple of the Good Guys..... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Les,

Been meaning to ask you:Do you have a son named Jason who trains and trials bird dogs? My cousin mentioned Jason to me and I know he's also from somewhere in Idaho. Apparently they think highly of him.

Gary
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Gary, nope, no relatives in Idaho. (Part of the reason I'm here). I'm the black sheep of the Michigan branch of the clan..been on the run for nearly 30 years, kinda incognito, and now Griff posts my mug up on the I-net. Guess I'm gonna hafta move on. (Something like Six in the witness protection program)..Had a good time BSn with Griff..we have a lot in common with our pasts being simular. Both formerly associated with the law (albeit different sides)..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Les, I really thought I was on to something based upon some of your previous posts and when I learned about a young man who was a good dog trainer. Just the fact that you both live in Idaho was the "link" I made. Guess I should have realized that Idaho has a few more citizens than Montana.

Gary
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Met up with another Levergunnercause

Post by Les Staley »

Gary, nope but I've met a few other Staleys in my travels. Lots in Green River Wyoming, some in Jackson Hole. The family has a long history of running.. Started in the early 1700s in a little town Staley Bridge near Derbe (Darbey?) England. Staleys left there for the new world for religious freedom.
When the American Revolution came along Staleys were Torys and were involved in some of the bloodiest terrorism in the Cherry Valley area of New York. Had to hi tail it for Canada when the revolution won, and my branch snuck back in to Michigan some time around 1800 after the heat died down. Three generations later Michigan got too crowded, so I took my gang to Wyoming and so it goes. (Thanks Terry Murback).

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I was born this way.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I hate it when people look so happy when I'm so miserable.

You boys look fine and satisfied. Griff, Did ya show Les the sleeper in the Black Rose and all your smoking paraphernalia with the cushy pillows and fleecy blanket? I can't help being an azzhole....it's part of being half Italian.

I see ya makin' eyes at those Mexican chicks in the background. Did ya ask em if they wanted a bean salad.!

Hey, wait a minute ..I take that all back...both you guys owe me money. :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

No I don't... it's in the mail!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Griff wrote:No I don't... it's in the mail!
Mine will be tomorrow!!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Griff your looking good partner! Les thanks for keeping him company.
I'm sure ya'll had a great visit. A gunshow, good eats and great company!
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Met up with another Levergunnercause

Post by Batman1939 »

Les Staley wrote:Gary, nope but I've met a few other Staleys in my travels. Lots in Green River Wyoming, some in Jackson Hole. The family has a long history of running.. Started in the early 1700s in a little town Staley Bridge near Derbe (Darbey?) England. Staleys left there for the new world for religious freedom.
When the American Revolution came along Staleys were Torys and were involved in some of the bloodiest terrorism in the Cherry Valley area of New York. Had to hi tail it for Canada when the revolution won, and my branch snuck back in to Michigan some time around 1800 after the heat died down. Three generations later Michigan got too crowded, so I took my gang to Wyoming and so it goes. (Thanks Terry Murback).

Very interesting for you to know your family's history---and it sounds like a most interesting history. :)
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Taking a second look, Griff looks all business and good ole Les has a smile from ear to ear.......if I could put a caption on that picture, les would say, " yea, beat em again". .......and then Griff's caption would read. "Ha, he thinks he got me".-----6

Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Six, I was thinking about the special snowflake $20 bill I dropped in the mail that self identifies as $75. We must accept it and do nothing that would hurt it's Feelz. Guess those 6.5 brass that you shipped should still be ok...That's what that smile was about.

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I was born this way.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Les Staley wrote:Six, I was thinking about the special snowflake $20 bill I dropped in the mail that self identifies as $75. We must accept it and do nothing that would hurt it's Feelz. Guess those 6.5 brass that you shipped should still be ok...That's what that smile was about.
Les, you sure that was 6.5 Swede brass I sent ya.. ? Right...right...now I remember. It was the spent steel cased Russian berdan primed 7.62 x 39 I sent Griff. ---6