Lewis Lead Remover

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Lewis Lead Remover

Post by cnjarvis »

Instead of ordering a package of the brass patches from Brownells at $3.99 per 10, I ordered some brass pipe screens from a smoking supply shop for $7.84 per 100 with free shipping. (1" dia) They can be ordered in multiple sizes and the only difference is the hole in the middle. I'm pretty sure I can make a hole...

Hope this helps some of you cast boolit shooters.

Brownells: http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-c ... 21587.aspx

Brass Pipe Screens:https://www.etsy.com/listing/453192864/ ... e_active_1
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lewis Lead Remover

Post by Pete44ru »

Great tip !

Thanks for posting it. :)

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Cool idea, there's a head shop in town that should have them...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Get yourself a block of wood, drill a hole( same size as the Lewis rod) then hold your screen over it and try an ice pick for the hole. Just need to push the wire out of the way, they might come apart if you cut the wire.
Great idea you had by the way, gotta file that away in the ol memory bank!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

GunnyMack wrote:Get yourself a block of wood, drill a hole( same size as the Lewis rod) then hold your screen over it and try an ice pick for the hole. Just need to push the wire out of the way, they might come apart if you cut the wire.
Great idea you had by the way, gotta file that away in the ol memory bank!
That's exactly what I was planning on doing. I have a couple of scratch-awls that should do the trick nicely.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You can soften that lead up with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and drug store hydrogen peroxide. Swab a few times with water to kill the reaction.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

BlaineG wrote:You can soften that lead up with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and drug store hydrogen peroxide. Swab a few times with water to kill the reaction.
I wonder if that creates an easily removed lead oxide. Does it come out red or yellow?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
BlaineG wrote:You can soften that lead up with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and drug store hydrogen peroxide. Swab a few times with water to kill the reaction.
I wonder if that creates an easily removed lead oxide. Does it come out red or yellow?
Kind of gray-ish....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I'm just shooting from the hip but that might cause hydrogen embrittlement of some steel parts.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

You just drummed up a memory.......gotta look in my 1960's dope box.....I know I have a mess of screens we used to use for smoking hash.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Marvin S wrote:
I'm just shooting from the hip but that might cause hydrogen embrittlement of some steel parts.
I read about it years ago....Here's some more.

https://www.google.com/search?q=clean+r ... n+peroxide

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Yep, that works but do not leave the mixture in a barrel! I have a Dan Wesson 44H that had some stubborn leading in the barrel and read about hydrogen peroxide-vinegar lead remover and tried it. I got side tracked after swabbing the barrel good with the mix and left the barrel wet for several hours (like 10 or so). When I remembered and finished cleaning the bbl. I saw pits, very small but pits, in the nice shiny, lead free barrel. I don't remember the name of the chemical reaction between the mixture and steel, but it is corrosive... :cry:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

mikld wrote:
Yep, that works but do not leave the mixture in a barrel! I have a Dan Wesson 44H that had some stubborn leading in the barrel and read about hydrogen peroxide-vinegar lead remover and tried it. I got side tracked after swabbing the barrel good with the mix and left the barrel wet for several hours (like 10 or so). When I remembered and finished cleaning the bbl. I saw pits, very small but pits, in the nice shiny, lead free barrel. I don't remember the name of the chemical reaction between the mixture and steel, but it is corrosive... :cry:
Reading is fundamental... :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV