H&R "Expert" - Long-Barreled 22 Top-Break

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

H&R "Expert" - Long-Barreled 22 Top-Break

Post by Old No7 »

Here's another interesting top-break added to my growing collection of H&Rs:
H&R Expert 01 (Small).jpg
This H&R "EXPERT" (as marked on the barrel) is a 7-shot 22 rimfire (circa 1927-28) and is in great condition. The lockup is probably the tightest of any H&R that I own, other than my 1970's vintage 999 Sportsman. The bore and chambers are all pristine as well.

If it wasn't for the TINY SIGHTS on these, the long barrel and saw-handle grips would surely make it a nice target revolver...

This info was posted by the late Jim Hauff (known as "32 Magnum" on various websites for H&R's) back in 2011:
The "EXPERT" is first advertised circa 1927, a couple years after the 22-caliber "SPECIAL" (shoots short, long or long rifle) hit the market. It is identical to the "SPECIAL" except for the 10" barrel. During the period 1927 until discontinued in or about 1941, the EXPERT followed all of the variational changes of the parent SPECIAL. The first two years of production will be 7 shot x .22 rim fire (s, l or lr).

Tight groups.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: H&R "Expert" - Long-Barreled 22 Top-Break

Post by Old No7 »

I WISH that was my price... :wink:

But here is how it was advertised back in the day!
H&R 22 Expert Ad (Small).jpg
Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

$13.50 back in that day was real money, expensive gun for the times.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

$256.61in today's money.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have one, not the this model, was given to me as a basket case. Needed a few parts. Only thing I can't find are a set of grips. Not that I have really been looking...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Try making a sight like this; the adjustments are still trial-and-error with the screws for windage like the original, but the sight picture is much[ better....!

It just took about 20 minutes, using a small washer and I drilled a hole in the margin, then attacked it with a file.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 68&start=0
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice, I like those old top breaks. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Around 1970 I watched a women who was visiting the neighbors shoot cans at about 40 yards with one and only missed a couple out of 50 rounds. It left an impression!
Very nice!