Feeling Good!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Feeling Good!

Post by Griff »

Got some rounds loaded up. Had cast some more of my 40-300-CSA bullets the other day, and got them sized & lubed yesterday, then sized, trimmed the brass and loaded up 42 rounds today.

40 rounds on the left are 36 grains of 5744 with the 300 grain bullet, 10 rounds on the right with the same nose bullet in a 350 grain weight, backed up with 80 grains of Swiss 1-½. 2 rounds on the lid are the only Bertram in the box.

Most of my cases are made from 45 Basic by CSA, HDS and about 50 that have no headstamp, plus a couple hundred Bertram Brass true 40-90 Bottleneck cases. Rim thickness for the Bertram is tad different. While the Bertram brass fits in a #14 RCBS shellholder, they don't fit in the Pacific made for the 45-70 family cases.

Set for the next range day:

Finished filling my "Pound" of 185grain WFN .452s. Pulled 10 out, sized and lubed, then loaded for testing in one of 1911s for function. They fit well in the case gauge... now we'll see if they feed in any of the full-size 1911s. Work like a champ thru the Combat Commander, but I'm thinking of using these in 3-Gun matches. They should run about 910fps. The one on the left is my 45-225-CAV I normally only load in the 45Colt with BP for Cowboy Action.

Not bad for just 3 hours out in the reloadin' shop!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Feeling Good!

Post by earlmck »

Fine bit of work for a winter day.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

earlmck wrote:Fine bit of work for a winter day.
Indeed :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That sure is a nice looking Sharps!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Lookin' good! I see you have that back sight sacked up for safe keeping. Love that Sharps.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff, What's the velocity on those 36 grain loads? 1700 or so.
Yea, this winter pelosi is getting on my nerves. We have not seen any sunshine for two weeks...other than a few peeks here and there. Rainy, dreary..............I am miserable....at least your happy.

Get a phone call...there goes the thread turn.........at 7:00 am telling us the horse is on my neighbors front yard headed for the road.......I'm still in bed......throw on the red wings, a 10 cent jacket and jeans I ain't seen in a year......run outside....pouring rain..38 degrees.....get a feed bucket, pour in the feed....walk out to the horse........he wants the feed so I give him a taste.......he follows.........we get to the driveway and he won't walk on the driveway..........it's black from the rain....thinks it's a hole.......aaaallllllllll. the way around my neighbors to the back pasture where he got out......walk him to the barn........give him lots of feed.............get branches , logs and other pelosi I had laying around to make an obstruction........walk in the house wet and shivering....get me a coffee and sit on the throne....and that's where I'm at now.....still very miserable........the phone rings......I don't answer......the wife says it's my BIL who is supposed to come over today so I can teach him how to cast........I oblige from the throne room.......I'm miserable....miserable......miserable..........

Glad to see your accomplishing something...........-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:Griff, What's the velocity on those 36 grain loads? 1700 or so.
Yea, this winter pelosi is getting on my nerves. We have not seen any sunshine for two weeks...other than a few peeks here and there. Rainy, dreary..............I am miserable....at least your happy.

Get a phone call...there goes the thread turn.........at 7:00 am telling us the horse is on my neighbors front yard headed for the road.......I'm still in bed......throw on the red wings, a 10 cent jacket and jeans I ain't seen in a year......run outside....pouring rain..38 degrees.....get a feed bucket, pour in the feed....walk out to the horse........he wants the feed so I give him a taste.......he follows.........we get to the driveway and he won't walk on the driveway..........it's black from the rain....thinks it's a hole.......aaaallllllllll. the way around my neighbors to the back pasture where he got out......walk him to the barn........give him lots of feed.............get branches , logs and other pelosi I had laying around to make an obstruction........walk in the house wet and shivering....get me a coffee and sit on the throne....and that's where I'm at now.....still very miserable........the phone rings......I don't answer......the wife says it's my BIL who is supposed to come over today so I can teach him how to cast........I oblige from the throne room.......I'm miserable....miserable......miserable..........

Glad to see your accomplishing something...........-----6
:lol: Welcome to retirement. Sometimes, EVERYthing looks like a piñata....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Winter... schminter... it was 65ºF when I went out to the shop @ 1330hrs and 75ºF at 1630 when I came back up to the house...

As far as velocity... I ain't got a clue. I tend to start a couple of grains under what the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook lists for the 45-70 in the same bullet weight... in this case their starting load is 38 grains, and lists 1,687fps for a 292 grain bullet... Given I have more case capacity, and a higher BC bullet, I'm figuring somewhere between 1,500-1,600fps. But, the chronograph will tell!

And I'm at least 7 years from retirement... Although I have slowed down significantly over what I used to run just a couple years ago!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

2ndovc wrote:That sure is a nice looking Sharps!
jb 8)
Hard to believe that in April it'll be 30 years old!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Gotta love that fancy wood! I'm a sucker for highly figured walnut, would like to see the rest OT that stock!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote:Gotta love that fancy wood! I'm a sucker for highly figured walnut, would like to see the rest OT that stock!
Me too!

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Can't type....drooling on key board!
Great hunk of wood! thanks for the extra pics!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Looks like a great day all around Griff, nice rifle. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Great looking rifle.
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

Great rifle with terrific looking wood!

Dan