Successful Hunting Today, but not me!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Successful Hunting Today, but not me!

Post by TWHBC »

While driving in to an early morning doctors appointment in Iowa City I was about 3 miles out of town heading in with the sun just up.
In front of me a bald eagle crossed the highway at about 10' in altitude. He/She had a nice cottontail hanging from its talons!
Rabbit was limp and dangling so it wasn't a frozen roadkill! Eagle was struggling a little to stay up, but made it across the highway, and was crossing a cut cornfield as I drove on. The eagles around here are usually seen fishing or dining behind a pig confinement facility on a pig carcass left out!
Nice to see nature doing its thing!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Successful Hunting Today, but not me!

Post by gamekeeper »

That's something you don't see every day....... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I saw a baldy feeding on a fresh road kill deer, it's head was red from body cavity blood.
It was standing on the rib cage with a look of 'don't F with me!'
We have one hanging around our club fishing property. So much for the 950 trout we stocked!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Pretty neat to see!

This summer, we had a large Bald Eagle swoop down just 10' behind the stern of our boat and grab a 12" salmon that we'd just released... And I'd just turned off the GoPro video camera too -- darn it! :cry:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

One of the pleasures of mowing the pastures is watching the yellow tail hawks picking off the field mice after they scurry around dartin' for one pile of hay to the next... trying to avoid the brushhog!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Recently saw a sparrow hawk nab a red squill out of a nearby tree and fly off. Looked very cool!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

Don't post as often as I should on the site, but the topic sparked a recent 'free meal' event I witnessed. I occasionally leave the scope sighted .22s in the house and take out an ancient Remington Rolling Block #4 in .22 to bag squirrels around my place. A couple of weeks ago I shot a squirrel that was about 35 yards away and about 10 yards up the side of a tree. The squirrel was hit hard (looked like it died instantly) and fell to the ground. It bounced once and was immediately picked up by a large barred owl that was probably hunting the same squirrel as I was. In a blink of an eye, my squirrel was gone and the owl had a free meal! Kind of fun to see.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

In THe Woods - the great horned owl is a serious predator. One of them had stolen 3 or 4 pups from a big litter until my friend saw it and his 12 ga put an end to the raiding. They will also hunt wild turkeys at night, knocking them to the ground gor the kill.

Also saw a bald eagle once on the edge of a New Mexico prairie dog hole: he did not seem to be worried abut three guys shooting at prarie dogs just 100 yards from him. Must be the "bull of the woods" syndrome.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I once watched a baled eagle chase a hen pintail as she frantically twisted and dived to get away.
He caught her on the wing and she instantly went limp.
He didn't have any trouble carrying her away.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I watched a golden eagle carry off a gut pile from a buddies elk in Colorado, it landed amongst a bunch of buzzards. They scattered it grabbed the guts and got off the ground, flew out of sight. THAT is a big bird!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old No7 wrote:Pretty neat to see!

This summer, we had a large Bald Eagle swoop down just 10' behind the stern of our boat and grab a 12" salmon that we'd just released... And I'd just turned off the GoPro video camera too -- darn it! :cry:

Old No7
Yup....I always be fishing all day, and the only steelhead I see is in the osprey talons...right where I just cast. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

More rare than seeing an eagle take small game is to actually get your camera out and capture the picture...