Bobcats mess'n up my deer hunt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Bobcats mess'n up my deer hunt

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Went hunting this morning in the dog hunt area and it was really foggy till around 10.
Got busted by a couple of deer just after daylight....just could not see them through the fog. Most of the fog was gone when I took this pic...
Anyway, shortly after that I saw something dart across the trail....and right after that....a bobcat...
Well it turned out to be two bobcats......and you should have heard the racket they made making little bobcats.
Well, after he was done....he went for a walk and ended up withing 15 yards of my stand...
It is amazing how well they can hear.....he nailed while moving to take this pic....hes above the barrel coming out of the shadow.
He stood there for about 5 minutes trying to figure out what the heck was in the tree.....with that tail going back and forth....real slow...
the barrel belongs to a winchester model 70 xtr 30-06 1978 vintage...The Hunt ended when 3 radio collared dogs ran by chasin NOTHING...
and barking their heads off...Tennessee walkers..
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bobcats mess'n up my deer hunt

Post by JerryB »

"A bad day in the woods is still better than a good day at work" I have always heard this but I can't look back and think of any day in the woods that was all bad. Just seeing the cats would be a good day for me.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Cat love is always noisy, kinda like a cat fight. There's a specific anatomical reason for that, which I won't go into detail about, this being a family show....

But somehow they do manage to produce a bunch of kits every year.

I work for a wildlife refuge as a volunteer and found out that one of the grad students at the local university figured out that we can track our bobcats without tagging them. He uses photos of the unique stripes on their legs, scanned into a computer like a bar code and comes up with an ID code for each adult that the computer will identify from any trail cam pic! Doesn't work with mountain lions--no stripes to code
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

That would make the day!

Brad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

At least someone was getting something...... :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think I would have busted the cat. There's too many of them around anyway. They're rough on the turkeys.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Rusty wrote:I think I would have busted the cat. There's too many of them around anyway. They're rough on the turkeys.
Yep. Him and his girl.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

JerryB wrote:"A bad day in the woods is still better than a good day at work" I have always heard this but I can't look back and think of any day in the woods that was all bad. Just seeing the cats would be a good day for me.
This is not the first time I have witnesses cats courting...
A few years back a female came in on my stand and headed into the brush maybe 15 yards away.
Shortly after that, here came the male....spraying everything....well he found the female and the "noise" started.
Then a second male came in, spraying everywhere the first male did, and called to her for a long time....while the other to were making their racket...
Finally, sunset came and I had to break up the love fest....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I would have tried for a two-fer on the cats. ;)

It would've made a unique taxidermy mounting..................

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Track 'em down and send the kittens to me. I've helped raise Bobkittens. They are as fun and interesting and dedicated as raising wolf pups... just in a "catty" way.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Just being out in the woods can be a great experience even without shooting any game. We had a deer lease in Comanche county for 18 years and shot a lot of deer, turkey, and quail and saw many interesting things from our blinds on the rim rock of a ridge.
The wife and I saw a mother bobcat teaching her two kittens to hunt. I used a rabbit squeaker call and called her up the ridge to only about 30 feet below our blind. She eventually lost interest and went back down to her kittens. I saw that female two more times that year. The following year Lyle, my daughter, and I saw the biggest old male bobcat ever - looked like a bulldog - broad and fat. As I lined up the crosshairs on the cat, my daughter asked me not to shoot it, so my "bull" bobcat soon disappeared into the grasses below.

One frigid winter morning on that ridge, Lyle and I went up top and laid down in the tall grass and sunshine to warm up and soon saw our first ever golden eagle up close! It was hunting along the rim rock only 15 yards out from us; it was riding the wind, stationary, huge, very impressive and unforgettable. That eagle returned for 3 more years and then was nor seen again.
Then there was the time I was hunting in southwest Texas by myself and watched a Cougar hunting deer and then screaming just before dark to spook the deer from a nearby by thicket where they had hidden. Another unforgettable sound and experience.

I could go an but you guys know the sense of interest, excitement, and wonder of the woods also.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

Many, many years ago near Tilden Tx. I was the one who spooked the deer, though it was over a bobcat! I was in a raised box blind where several senderas cross. It was very cold for there, and several low spots had ice on them. Was watching a field mouse cross a small patch of ice, and a bobcat showed up. When he tried for the mouse, he forgot about the ice, heck may have been a young one, and never seen ice? He slid, legs went in 4 directions, and down he he went, several times! I spooked everything laughing!! The mouse disappeared, and the bobcat finally did! Me, I had a cup of coffee from the thermos, and went back to watching !