Weapons In Sports Stadiums

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Weapons In Sports Stadiums

Post by Blaine »

Three State Reps in WA have introduced a bill to allow concealed carry in privately owned facilities, to include sports stadiums/arenas.....I think there are a ton of drunks watching ball that might not should be carrying with a big load on. Can these people control themselves?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Weapons In Sports Stadiums

Post by AJMD429 »

They seem to do ok in Indiana...or at least I think it is allowed here (haven't been to a stadium as an audience member for years though).

I almost never have the desire to go to non-ccw places, anyway. :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I won't go into any stadium because I won't walk around those places unarmed. that's inviting trouble.

I did go to a pre-season seahawk game once years ago. gave me that unsettled feeling that being surrounded produces.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Blaine, I've know a few people that have been shot but they were not shot by a drunk, that said
some of them was asking for it & some were shot over a jealous fit of rage
I have no idea what goes on in a stadium or other big gathering place, I tend to avoid them

Brad
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

BlaineG wrote:Three State Reps in WA have introduced a bill to allow concealed carry in privately owned facilities, to include sports stadiums/arenas.....I think there are a ton of drunks watching ball that might not should be carrying with a big load on. Can these people control themselves?
Well, most of them do, most of the time. And even if a small number don't control themselves, where is the logic in disarming the vast majority who do? No law is going to prevent a lawbreaker from acting out. After all, it's illegal to get drunk and punch out the guy next to you, isn't it? What out-of-controller pays any heed to that?

Concealed carry is illegal at pay-for-entry sports venues in my state. So a few years ago, I attend a local highschool football game and see sheriff's deputies at each gate making people walk through metal detectors. But, hold on -- isn't this the sheriff's department that lacks the budget to buy bulletproof vests for it's officers, and the school district that pleads poverty to every plea for the slightest improvement? And why weren't any of the detectors going off, despite the fact people were walking through carrying keys, coins, pocket knives, wearing big belt buckles and shoes with steel toes and arch supports, etc., etc., etc.? Suspecting a ruse, I did a bit of background checking, and found, yep -- the metal detectors were fakes. Real metal detectors would have bankrupted them and created blocks-long backups as people were pulled out of line in a clamor of alarms and wand-frisked. A complete phony, designed to inspire a false sense of security in a situation where, in fact, there was actually LESS security because law-abiding gun carriers were leaving their guns at home. The local equivalent of the TSA -- all smoke and mirrors designed to control the sheep, not make them safer.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I personally have gotten away with it a couple times. What I wonder about is this: It's impossible miss, and not hit anybody. My little EDC .380, up close and personal, would not be a risk to anybody. That other guy's 45acp might be problematic. :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Concealed carry is illegal at pay-for-entry sports venues in my state. So a few years ago, I attend a local highschool football game and see sheriff's deputies at each gate making people walk through metal detectors. But, hold on -- isn't this the sheriff's department that lacks the budget to buy bulletproof vests for it's officers, and the school district that pleads poverty to every plea for the slightest improvement? And why weren't any of the detectors going off, despite the fact people were walking through carrying keys, coins, pocket knives, wearing big belt buckles and shoes with steel toes and arch supports, etc., etc., etc.? Suspecting a ruse, I did a bit of background checking, and found, yep -- the metal detectors were fakes. Real metal detectors would have bankrupted them and created blocks-long backups as people were pulled out of line in a clamor of alarms and wand-frisked. A complete phony, designed to inspire a false sense of security in a situation where, in fact, there was actually LESS security because law-abiding gun carriers were leaving their guns at home. The local equivalent of the TSA -- all smoke and mirrors designed to control the sheep, not make them safer.
.....amazing....but not surprising.... :|
BlaineG wrote:I personally have gotten away with it a couple times. What I wonder about is this: It's impossible miss, and not hit anybody. My little EDC .380, up close and personal, would not be a risk to anybody. That other guy's 45acp might be problematic. :lol:
.....so, I guess my 300 blackout AR-pistol not good there, eh.... :shock: :lol: :wink:

Seriously though I know what you mean. In many scenarios a shot taken defensively could have big unintended consequences. Perhaps in some cases throwing to the ground and shooting at a great upwards angle could limit risk of pass-through damage to innocents, but odds of being able to do that are probably slim, and puts you at a serious disadvantage otherwise. One more reason never to pull a trigger unless failure to do means imminent innocent death, but I'd still feel horrible if I hurt or killed an innocent bystander, even if the shot terminated a bad guy's actions and saved many other lives (and I'm sure the bad-guy's lawyer would capitalize on that as well).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

#1: I hate spectator sports, so I don't go.
#2: I think like a terrorist, so I don't go to places where I personally find it easy to kill 10,000+ people at a time.
#3: I hate crowds (see 1 & 2)

I'm all for sober fans carrying weapons wherever. But IFAIC in such a public venue they should also choose to wear a "no booze for me" souvenir cap if the choose to carry.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Ironsights wrote:#1: I hate spectator sports, so I don't go.
#2: I think like a terrorist, so I don't go to places where I personally find it easy to kill 10,000+ people at a time.
#3: I hate crowds (see 1 & 2)y.
Pretty much my thoughts and feelings. I was the only guy at the plant who never took advantage of the companies' generousity of giving out free Phillies tickets.

Other than gunshows I stay away from crowds and even then it's only 2-4 times a year anymore. All these old guys coughing and hacking are sure to transmit the first killing bird flu this country has ever seen.

Can these drunks control themselves? I think so as it's legal to carry in bars here in Pa. My experience
with people who carry guns legally have been that the individual with a license is usually level headed and balanced correctly...except me :D ......and pretty much know how to stay out of trouble.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

It's illegal in every state I know to carry concealed if you plan to drink alcohol. I don't see this as an issue, as anyone planning on drinking at a sporting event needs to obey the law and leave their carry gun home. Carry responsibly, or lose your right to carry.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

FWIW; I grew up in LA county and attended sports events and concerts at the Coliseum, The Forum, Hollywood Bowl, convention centers, etc. in the area. Stabbings were not common, but not unheard of, and most shootings occurred in the parking areas (I remember the film of a Raiders fan stabbing a man at the Coliseum. I can't remember the team the man liked, prolly the team kicking the Raiders butt). Fist fights happened regularly, in the stands and in the parking lot. I think the most drinking I saw was at baseball games at Dodger Stadium and Angels Stadium, but most violence (besides James Brown concerts) was at football games. I saw some pretty drunk attendees and if they were armed, I'm sure someone would have gotten shot. I'm kinda torn between carrying and being unarmed. Today I would carry (been sober 30 years) but back then, I may have shot a Raiders fan, just because...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I would rather someone beat me with a stick than make me go to a sports stadium. No fun putting up with foul-mouthed drunks, 75 yards of steps to get to the stinking outhouse, er, restroom, crowds pushing and shoving, $9.00 hot dogs that are not hot, etc etc.

I have a great view of the games from my living room recliner chair, only a few steps from the fridge and no rain falling on my head. Perfect. :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jnyork wrote:I would rather someone beat me with a stick than make me go to a sports stadium. No fun putting up with foul-mouthed drunks, 75 yards of steps to get to the stinking outhouse, er, restroom, crowds pushing and shoving, $9.00 hot dogs that are not hot, etc etc.

I have a great view of the games from my living room recliner chair, only a few steps from the fridge and no rain falling on my head. Perfect. :D
This. :lol:
Every few years I like to go to a Baseball game up in Seattle. I wouldn't pay, or even go for free to a football, or basketball (thug ball) game.

I've never heard of legal carrying becoming illegal if you are drinking. That's not to say it isn't true. DADT.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Evidently, it's ok to consume adult drinks while carrying in WA....There's a complicated formula to determine what part of a bar/restaurant can be carried in, or not. Has to do with a % of food v. booze sales, and whether or not kids are allowed, etc.
Washington seems to be an exception, though, maybe that's why the bill is being introduced.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

jnyork wrote:I would rather someone beat me with a stick than make me go to a sports stadium. No fun putting up with foul-mouthed drunks, 75 yards of steps to get to the stinking outhouse, er, restroom, crowds pushing and shoving, $9.00 hot dogs that are not hot, etc etc. :D
Hey, be glad you never went to a Philadelphia sports team stadium. Philly has the infamous reputation as the nations most misbehaved fans. Fights are an "every game occurrence" and don't even make the news anymore. My sports buddies tell me the fans are double the legal limit on alcohol before they even walk in...and then continue with the stadiums $12 half pint beers.

A few years ago the cops had to have an "in stadium" courtroom, complete with judges and holding cells. That ain't no BS....Philly knows how to party! Yea baby, let the good times roll !!!----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:
jnyork wrote:I would rather someone beat me with a stick than make me go to a sports stadium. No fun putting up with foul-mouthed drunks, 75 yards of steps to get to the stinking outhouse, er, restroom, crowds pushing and shoving, $9.00 hot dogs that are not hot, etc etc. :D
Hey, be glad you never went to a Philadelphia sports team stadium. Philly has the infamous reputation as the nations most misbehaved fans. Fights are an "every game occurrence" and don't even make the news anymore. My sports buddies tell me the fans are double the legal limit on alcohol before they even walk in...and then continue with the stadiums $12 half pint beers.

A few years ago the cops had to have an "in stadium" courtroom, complete with judges and holding cells. That ain't no BS....Philly knows how to party! Yea baby, let the good times roll !!!----6
When I was with the Clyde Beatty/Cole Bros Circus Band, I was mugged at the Philly Liberty Bell Racetrack. Big Carnival set up on one side, and our circus set up across from it.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I would rather err on the side of taking my chances with a drunk with a gun while having my own and the ability to defend myself, than being disarmed. If you want Liberty, you take your chances. If not, give them all up, because you will eventually anyway. Thats my standard answer to all the "what if's" and imaginary hand wringing scenarios. Otherwise, you should have to have a licence for your opinion and a library card to post them on the internet. You either want Liberty, or you want to give over responsibility for yourself to someone else.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

sore shoulder wrote:I would rather err on the side of taking my chances with a drunk with a gun while having my own and the ability to defend myself, than being disarmed. If you want Liberty, you take your chances. If not, give them all up, because you will eventually anyway. Thats my standard answer to all the "what if's" and imaginary hand wringing scenarios. Otherwise, you should have to have a licence for your opinion and a library card to post them on the internet. You either want Liberty, or you want to give over responsibility for yourself to someone else.
I'm pretty sure I made the point that I was concerned about collateral damage more than anything else. 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

BlaineG wrote:Evidently, it's ok to consume adult drinks while carrying in WA....There's a complicated formula to determine what part of a bar/restaurant can be carried in, or not. Has to do with a % of food v. booze sales, and whether or not kids are allowed, etc.
Washington seems to be an exception, though, maybe that's why the bill is being introduced.
It's not complicated at all. In Washington State the law says if you have to be 21 to be in a place that sells alcohol, then you can't carry your concealed weapon. And beyond that if you had one drink in a stadium and it was more than 12 oz. beer, you'll blow over the legal limit, and again be taking the chance of losing your carry permit. Anytime you go over the limit to drive, you're also over the limit to carry legally.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

marlinman93 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Evidently, it's ok to consume adult drinks while carrying in WA....There's a complicated formula to determine what part of a bar/restaurant can be carried in, or not. Has to do with a % of food v. booze sales, and whether or not kids are allowed, etc.
It's not complicated at all. In Washington State the law says if you have to be 21 to be in a place that sells alcohol, then you can't carry your concealed weapon. And beyond that if you had one drink in a stadium and it was more than 12 oz. beer, you'll blow over the legal limit, and again be taking the chance of losing your carry permit. Anytime you go over the limit to drive, you're also over the limit to carry legally.
:idea: Talk to owners of bars, taprooms, wine servers, restaurants with booze, bars with food etc and see how uncomplicated they think it is to conform to weird WA laws.
Washington and Oregon have different laws which is why we cannot have reciprocity in concealed carry. Which is why people get into trouble crossing state lines while carrying.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

I don't socialize where street thugs are. And it's okay to say that.

And the whole argument that "regular good people" go around shooting people up and are destroying society is a lie, part of the anti gun movement that wants all of our guns. It's "street thugs" who commit the street violence - and even they have rules . Maybe your neighbors and families are different but I'd be surprised.

Every day when I walk outside and drive down the road, I notice a lack of dead bodies littering the streets. And our state is second in gun ownership. Which explains the increasing anti gun laws being made by the alt-left, who have proven they will do anything to control us.

Locally, our folks who have completed the training, background checks, etc and obtained a CCW simply don't go around shooting and brandishing and all that. They don't live that way.

Smoke and mirrors
Last edited by Poohgyrr on Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

BlaineG wrote: :idea: Talk to owners of bars, taprooms, wine servers, restaurants with booze, bars with food etc and see how uncomplicated they think it is to conform to weird WA laws.
Washington and Oregon have different laws which is why we cannot have reciprocity in concealed carry. Which is why people get into trouble crossing state lines while carrying.
I carry both licenses, so understand the laws of both states. Bar owners, etc. may be confused, but the law isn't. But then bar owners (etc.) have trouble cutting people off when they've had too much to drink. It's more about profit with them, than obeying the laws.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I tend to drive right by those big coliseums, (monuments to absurd pay-offs for playing a "game'). When I was younger, I got taken to a few games, Dodgers, Rams, Angels @ a few different locales. Didn't have any choice then... I was given some free tickets to a Rangers game when I first moved to TX... went. And guess who was pitchin' for 'em... the same guy I'd arrested about 6 mos. earlier for DWI & carrying a concealed weapon out in CA when he pitched for the Angels... (nope, no carry permit, for either the booze in his system or the .38 under the seat)! I waved "hi" and asked if he remembered me? A few minutes later a couple of the local finest came to escort me from the Stadium..

We chatted about the weather and the frailty of humans when stressed out... like being reminded between innings that someone still had a court appearance! Seems he walked several batters in a row... I lasted at the game longer than he did! :lol: :lol: I heard that he got traded shortly after that... again!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

marlinman93 wrote:
BlaineG wrote: :idea: Talk to owners of bars, taprooms, wine servers, restaurants with booze, bars with food etc and see how uncomplicated they think it is to conform to weird WA laws.
I carry both licenses, so understand the laws of both states. Bar owners, etc. may be confused, but the law isn't. But then bar owners (etc.) have trouble cutting people off when they've had too much to drink. It's more about profit with them, than obeying the laws.
You should set up an 800 number. :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I wonder how many handguns would get left behind on the tops of toilets in the stalls. I bet in a large stadium if would be a few.