Kind of OT- Are you a shooter or a hunter?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Kind of OT- Are you a shooter or a hunter?

Post by shooter »

I'm curious as to how many people like just shooting over hunting, or vice-versa. Given the choice, would you rather spend the day hunting or at the range?

Personally I like them both about equal. Given the choice, though, I'd probably rather spend the day hunting. Maybe it's because I don't get to hunt as much as I get to shoot. If I could hunt as much as I could shoot, then the choice might be different. Just curious as to what y'all's take is.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I like a good day of deer hunting or upland hunting over about anything except a good trout stream! But I do love shooting with friends and shooting in contests. Good topic!
Break on through to the other side!!!
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

lever-4-life wrote:I like a good day of deer hunting or upland hunting over about anything except a good trout stream! But I do love shooting with friends and shooting in contests. Good topic!
+1

I'll take hunting over shooting, but shooting is still high on my list of fun things to do.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I'd take a day of hunting over a day of shooting but I thoroughly enjoy both.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

cnjarvis wrote:I'd take a day of hunting over a day of shooting but I thoroughly enjoy both.
Shooter.

Quit hunting in the late 80s, after a little over 20 years of doing so.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Pete 22
Levergunner

Post by Pete 22 »

Hate to make a choice....but it's hunting OR fishing, whichever the season allows, sometimes both! :D Shooting could not be any closer of a second choice though! Still playng a little softball as well, just not very well :lol:

Pete 22
Those who would sacrifice freedom for tempory security deserve neither. - Ben Franklin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

I would take hunting over shooting.

For me, when hunting season is over shooting season starts.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Shooter primarily. Hunter occasionally. Can't stand fishing. I either fidget and scare them all away, or fall asleep and ignore them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Shooter,....I think?

I like to shoot, and I like to hunt (but don't like to kill stuff in general), but when I hunt, it's "with a mission", I use a scoped bolt gun mostly for making meat. Some don't think that's "hunting". Oh well. I guess I get my "experience" of walking around in the woods and mountains, since I'm out in the hills daily with a gun. Roaming the wild and silent places with a rifle isnt one of the choices listed, but it's first on my list. :D

One of the daily dog (and gun)walking spots.

[img][img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/ ... G_0084.jpg[/img][/img]

Haven't shot a formal range in many years, we just go out in the hills and shoot. If you can see the vehicle in this pic, it's one of the shooting spots also. Between this spot and another a half mile away I've shot about 6 or 8K rounds in the last 3 or 4 years.
Last edited by Malamute on Thu May 08, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Hunting, fishing, shooting in that order.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Hunting for me. I've been a member of three "Shooting" clubs, I only enjoyed one of them and thats because most of the shooters there were also hunters. :wink: I have nothing against target shooting I enjoy a day at the range but over here we have some dedicated target shooters that would bore the average gun nut to death. :roll:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pete 22
Levergunner

Post by Pete 22 »

J Miller wrote:Shooter primarily. Hunter occasionally. Can't stand fishing. I either fidget and scare them all away, or fall asleep and ignore them.

Joe
LOL!!! sleeping is the best part of fishing:D In fact I've been known to take a snooze while on stand as well! Safely harnessed in of course! :lol:

Pete 22
Those who would sacrifice freedom for tempory security deserve neither. - Ben Franklin
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Primarily a shooter.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'll take a day hunting over shooting. That's likely 'cause the days spent hunting are fewer and farther between than days shooting.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I generally think that if it is recreation and has a gun involved it is a good day. I might be shmoozing, shooting, hunting, reloading, cleaning, or whatever, I just like guns, they interest me.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Wow! If you would have asked me that just say 5 years or more ago; I would have emphatically said hunting.

But here of late I have been experiencing a real softness when it comes to the kill part of the hunt. :shock:

I have noticed I am also spending much more time at the range.

Like packing everything but the kitchen sink and spending more time with the set up, and time between shots.
I have been putting much more emphasis on satisfying accuracy.

Used to be, hurry up get to the range make sure the gun still worked then get in those woods and get to huntin.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

hunter
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I enjoy both, but big game hunting is as good as it gets
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

equal
victor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by victor »

I shoot to hunt and hunt to shoot :roll:
Vic
Winchester Model 94(61').32 Winchester Special
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

What do ya think?.....

Still enjoy shooting though, 'bout 2k + worth of lead a year down range.

Fishing is a daily break in my daily routine, carry a rod and tackle with me at all times. I'll drop the line wherever I'm at that has water, today I caught a couple of Blue Gills at a mill pound behind a customers establishment during the lunch hour, this afternoon around three I saw some Bass mouth open on lake I was passing. I stopped and tossed a line in and caught a nice Big Mouth Bass. 'Course threw 'em back.
budliteguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by budliteguy »

I shoot and hunt, they both accomplish the same thing, RELIEVE STRESS
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Hunting first (small game, deer ) fishing then shooting. In my opinion any day outside be it working or playing is a great day.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hunting - as in wandering around with a gun and finding things to shoot - even if it's only dirt clods.

"Shooting" (public range time) is only interesting if there is a group or I'm working on a specific load. Ranges are either empty & boring or full and obnoxious. Haven't found much in between.

Besides, Leverguns are made to be carried, not laid on a bench/gun rack.

I might feel different if I could shoot from my back porch, but If I've got to go somewhere to shoot, I'd rather go somewhere to hunt.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

Griff wrote:I'll take a day hunting over shooting. That's likely 'cause the days spent hunting are fewer and farther between than days shooting.
Well said.+1
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What Griff said! +1 Hunting season is way to short and the shooting sports are all year long. Still love to get out in the woods and hunt now and then. :wink:
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I much prefer hunting, but for the last 3 years I have been limited to 5-10 days per year hunting. I get to shoot at the local range once per week.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Hunting provides the ultimate shooting experience. Most of my shootng is informal and opportunistic out at the place. I practically never go to a public range.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

A whole lot of both, but probably more of a shooter. I don't more than a couple of days before pulling the trigger on something.-------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well this is getting repetative, but I shoot a LOT more than I hunt, but I really like to hunt, so if given the choice, I'll take a hunting opportunity over a shooting opportunity every time.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, I guess I prefer hunting if I am shooting. I probably enjoy pheasant hunting about as well as any kind of hunting, because I am also shooting. I can enjoy a day of hunting without much action, but as a general rule, I crave a little action.

Fishing is ok as long as the fish are biting, but it if it gets slow, I get tired of it after a while.

And I still enjoy a day of heavy shooting, like shooting clay targets with shotguns, and will often shoot a couple of cases of shells in one afternoon. I used to do the same with rifles and pistols, espacally pistols.

I enjoy sitting on a deer stand for a few hours, but I tend to get bored after a while if I don't see some game eventually.
woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

For me, shooting and hunting are so closely related that one is pursued to accomplish the other.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I lived near Eugene, Oregon for almost 20 years, excellent hunting in lots of beautiful forest lands nearby. But for years I been living in Kansas. Got lots of wheat fields here, not much timber lands. There are deer, but not as much fun to hunt them seems to me. With no pals nearby who like to shoot, I tend to collect more than anything else. Need to shoot more though.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

Both - I was raised in a family that shot target competitively over several generations so I was around target rifles from childhood. Those same kinfolk also spent many hours hunting and I greatly enjoyed those experiences - so I really don't have a preference of one over another...
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I guess I'm about 50/50.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Shooter. My father did not like "killing" things (I guess due to time in the military and as a FBI agent), so he never took me hunting, though we went shooting often. So I didn't grow up with the tradition. I've hunted some as a young adult with friends. Now that my son has expressed interest, it is something we are going to learn and do together, but I imagine I'll always be more of a shooter at heart!!! :D
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Shooter these last 25 years in the city,
now that I am going back to the country; that will probably change to a lot more wingshooting
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I shot about 50 through the single six yesterday, and went and caught and released 12 trout today. Things are pretty good! :D
Break on through to the other side!!!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

As a youngster, all target. As a Teen, about 50/50. As an adult with 3 little ones....mostly all target with maybe a couple of turkey hunting excursions thrown in per year, if no one gets the stomach flu...maybe. :?
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Any thing that puts a gun in my hand makes me happy :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

When I said "a day at the range", it didn't necessarily mean a formal shooting range. It means just out shooting, not hunting. The reason I ask is because I know a few people, and know OF a lot of people that just shoot once or twice a year to sight in their guns that they are going to use for hunting. I know practically everyone on this site shoots more than that, but I was just curious as to where the passion really is.

I guess a better question might have been, "Do you shoot to hunt, or hunt to shoot, or both?"
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

If I hunt I rarely get to shoot, and I shoot more often than I hunt, due to regular silhouette matches. So I guess I'm a shooter. But in spirit I see myself as a hunter more than a shooter. For example I'm not interested in competitive matches, just in my own score, for competence. But I do go out hunting/scouting about once a month, and when there's a conflict, I hunt.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

JReed wrote:Any thing that puts a gun in my hand makes me happy :D
That says it.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

Malamute your a lucky man I sure would like to mosy over that country on an Ole Ponie with a couple of Scottish Deerhound dogs and see what we could russle up, thats how life should be lived.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I love hunting and shooting....
Its not only a passion...its an obsession....
If i could afford it.....I would hunt and shoot every day...
I shoot skeet every weekend....at least a couple of rounds
and BS and goof around with the guys
Recently competed in the Florida Sunshine Games in shooting...
and brought home the gold in my class...and 3rd overall
heres some of our shooters...good times for sure
Too bad we dont have rifle and pistol compititions around here
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Both, but hunting comes first
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I hunt for sport and meat. Then when hunting season is over, I shoot for sport and to hone myself for the next hunt. I don't shoot much during hunting season so as to not make the local game as nervous.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Shooter only. I would love to learn how to hunt, but don't have a clue how/where to begin. I compete in 5 different silhouette disciplines. I'm one of those "shooters of collectible firearms".
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

That is too tough of a decision to make. I love them both equally. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

"Are you a shooter or a hunter?"

YES!

I actually do like them about equally, but my health won't allow me t hunt, so I guess I'll say shooter.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9