The abandoned 1873 Winchester and where it is displayed now

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

The abandoned 1873 Winchester and where it is displayed now

Post by w30wcf »

aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The abandoned 1873 Winchester and where it is displayed

Post by M. M. Wright »

Thanks John. I had wondered what happened to that rifle.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Great info, and like others I also wondered where it went? There was one being displayed at local gun shows around here back in the 1980's. Another Winchester 1873 that had been found in rural Oregon grown into the "Y" of a tree. Someone had the foresight to not cut it out, but instead cut the "Y" with the gun out. It had maybe 12" of trunk and two limbs with the gun, and was a great display piece! I still wonder where it ended up at?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

One guy I was at Gunsmith school with had a '92 in 38/40. He claimed his grandfather found it somewhere in northern Colorado. The gun was in decent shape. He decided to refinish it!! All of us just shook our heads in disbelief!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Thanks for the update, Jack. The wife was looking over my shoulder while watching the video. "We've been there ... why didn't you find that rifle?" she asks.

Yes, we have been in Great Basin Park several times back when we lived in Nevada. Nevada is kind of a big place with looots of nifty stuff still lying around in seldom-visited spots and not a lot of rainfall to accelerate the deterioration. One of my favorite states, for sure (if they could just dis-attach Las Vegas from the state). When Oregon becomes untenable (can we be far behind California?) I may move back.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, a really cool old rifle. But ruined by the folks that preserved it by hanging a strap on it to prevent the hammer from moving. For smart folks you'd thing they'd realize that pretty much ruins for most of us.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Arrrgh. You gotta be kidding me! I was just there.

I spent 4 days in Garrison UT just 7 miles from Baker NV and was hunting mule deer right up against the Great Basin Park boundary when season opened October 5th. My lovely bride came with me and I had to get her home in time to work the following Monday. So we drove up to the visitor center but were too late for a guided cave tour. Ugh. I had no idea that rifle was in there or I would have gone in to see it. As it was, we got to Great Arches national park just in time to see a few arches before dark. I'll have to take a more leisurely trip out that way again sometime.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Thanks for this post. I too had wondered what became of the rifle. I gotta get over there sometime.

jeepnik's comment regarding a strap to prevent the hammer from cocking made me take a close look. It looks to me like the strap is merely the bottom end of the mount that supports the rifle in an upright position, not intended to keep the hammer from cocking. I do think the support for the cartridge is pretty lame though.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

jeepnik wrote:Well, a really cool old rifle. But ruined by the folks that preserved it by hanging a strap on it to prevent the hammer from moving. For smart folks you'd thing they'd realize that pretty much ruins for most of us.
Nope, that's just where it was leaning against to hold it upright. However, they could have done a better job of mounting it, and the cartridge that was found in the buttstock, maybe replicating how it was found?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm going to be headed to Olympia, WA either tomorrow or Sunday... maybe I'll have to figure out how get by there... Thanks for the heads up.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

By coincidence I was at our monthly "Historical Arms Collectors" meeting last night, and asked if anyone there knew where the other 1873 found grown in a tree was. As usual the knowledgeable crowd there had someone who not only knew who owned it back in the 1980's, but also where it is today! I knew the past owner, who is deceased, but didn't know him back then. The present owner happens to be a friend and I never knew he had this gun in his collection. He's got one of the finest collections of original Colt SAA pistols in the USA, so having the Winchester 1873 was a surprise to me. I need to ask to see it next time I'm at his place!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

vancelw,
Sorry I did not find the update sooner. :(

mm93,
Interesting story! Thank you.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian