What are thechances

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

What are thechances

Post by GunnyMack »

So NJ finally gave us a 'better' bear season.the normal season is first week of December. We have had the past 5 days to either bow hunt( M,T,W) or bow/ muzzle loader (TH,F,S). I haven't been able to get out.
I'm hoping to get in a tree and try to at least see how my luck goes.

Taking my predator call, anyone ever call a bear before?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What are thechances

Post by Pitchy »

Never bear hunted before but good luck on your hunt. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I was calling local predators (Fox, Coyote, Racoon) with a Rabbit screaming call, when in walked a small Black Bear :o (rare hereabouts).

Since all I had was a .22WRM rifle, AND there's no bear season (or bears, most times) in this state (making it illegal to take a bear here), I can tell you that it was a very tense experience. :roll:

However, I can cheerfully report that my pants stayed clean & dry......... :mrgreen:

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

The Burnham Brothers book, The Critters Come When Called" discussed calling everything from foxes to bear, even African lions!
Best be prepared though, just in case one does come in. :o
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I went huntin' bare one time.....it was coooooollllddd.....and when I got to the mountains I turned around and went home because I saw a road sign that said, "bear left".

I know, it's old. As for bear calls, never heard of em but my brother in law paid a thousand dollar fine because he shot a 600 pounder on his upstate property. The problem was he was caught bringing all the local bear on his property by feeding them donuts all year long.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

We can bait them, but we can't be any closer than 100 yards to the bait...
This was our very first 'early' season, normally the season is first week on December. Now I'm not a biologist but I know that December is NOT the best time to bear hunt!

From what I saw in the paper, the first 3 days of the season, archery only was 2-300 bears were taken. Now that's effective! For the most part, only the NW corner of the state is open for bears! I haven't heard what the other three days ( archery/ muzzleloader)total was.

Worst part of it was I never got out!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

A friend on a fishing trip got up early and went to the outhouse and walked out without looking and when he was done and opened the door a BIG bear was on the cabin porch setting by the door . he had to wait it out to get back in it.He packed up and left that morning . :lol:
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Long time ago we were in Quebec on a fishing trip, one of my buddies was portaging a canoe wham he stepped over a blow down ON to a sleeping bear. He went one way, the bear another way and the canoe went a third way!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Many years ago at camp one morning , my Dad said " Hey ! there's a bear out there" . Several of us , half believing him , looked out the window and sure enough a bear was checking out the back / side yard . Then it walked down the short path , paused and stuck its head inside the open outhouse door and gave that a few second look over, before wandering off into the woods :o
Phil
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

There have been a couple of instances recently of archery elk hunters here in Montana calling in grizzlies, when they "thought" they were calling elk. Not a happy outcome.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I don't have EXACT numbers, but from what I have heard, the first 3 days of the season( archery only) produced about 200 bears! Haven't heard about total for the six day season.
We had a bear with a birth defect, causing it to only walk on hind legs, of course the media named it Peddels, well seems a hunter shot it and now the media and the non hunting public are up in arms about it. Seems this bear has been in the news for the past few years, I saw pictures of it, it is SMALL body, obviously the deformations were preventing it from reaching normal bear proportions... Not enough food?
The public has another knee jerk reaction, they just don't get it! Whoever shot it will now be a social outcast when he/she should be applauded for keeping the gene pool strong!

And already the anti's have begun another push to STOP the next hunt in December, and for following years.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Phil