Another old gun story- sorry, not a lever

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Another old gun story- sorry, not a lever

Post by jnyork »

Lander, Wyoming in 1948-49 was a small, remote ranch town of about 2500 people where the Great Depression was just starting to end. As a nine year old boy, I would spend my 15 cents at the Saturday matinee and then go hang out at my favorite place, Spaldsbury's Saddlery and Sporting Goods. What a wonderful place it was: odors of new and old leather, new and old horse blankets, pipe smoke, original Hoppes and gun oil, occsionally a faint whiff of whiskey. Glass cabinets full of old Colts and Smith&Wessons. Racks full of Winchesters, Remingtons, Marlins, etc. More racks full of surplus Krags, Springfield bolt guns and trapdoors. Fishing gear too. Spitoons and sawdust on the floor.
One day a brand new Winchester 67 Youth appeared, price only $13.00 IIRC. I had some Christmas and birthday money squirreled away and conned Dad into spliting the cost. I didnt have to sign for it but Dad had to come down and carry it out for me.
I spent the next 3 years or so potting tin cans, stray crows and riding along behind Dad on old Poppin' Johnny, terrorizing prairie dogs. I learned to shoot with that gun.
At age 12 or 13 I got the hots for a new Remington model 512 at Spaldsburys, so I traded in the 67 on it This was in about 1952. Never looked back until much later in life.
In 1982, my Air Force career at an end, I moved back to Lander to start a new life. Every once in a while I would go to a gun show and see a Model 67 Youth and get a lump in my throat, longing for the days of my childhood and kicking my self for ever trading off my very first gun.
About 3 years ago my wife and I stopped at a yard sale put on by an older fellow here in town. He had some guns on a table and there it was, a Winchester 67 youth in very good condition. Got to chatting him up about it and asked him the history of the gun. He said he got it for his little son but the kid never took an interest in it, so it had been in the back of the closet for the last 50 years. I asked him where he got it, he said he bought it used at Spaldsburys in about 1952!! I gave him his $100.00 and ran for my truck , shaking like a leaf!
I cleaned it up and took it to the range to shoot a few cans, which I did, but it was difficult, I kept getting some smoke in my eyes.
My very first gun is back with me, and holds a place of honor in my safe. Life is good.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I think it just got dusty in here. My eyes are leaking now. I know I'd feel the same way if I were to ever find my first rifle.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Great story and amazing luck finding your old gun!

I have my Dad's M 67. They're beautiful little rifles.

Congrats! :)
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very kewl. congrats
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Pretty neat story!

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Neat.

But when I left Lander in '86 it could STILL pretty well be described as a small, remote ranch town of about 2500 people... well, ok, 8,000... maybe. :wink:

I wish I could afford to live there now.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Old Ironsights wrote:

It aint bad once you get past the exorbitant costs of housing, utilities, food, gasoline and medical care. :lol:
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Great story and congratulations on getting her back.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jnyork wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:

It aint bad once you get past the exorbitant costs of housing, utilities, food, gasoline and medical care. :lol:
And lack of Jobs...

Closest I came to getting back was when I applied to work for NOLS as a grant writer and was selected as an "alternate"/denied.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Awesome!!!! :D :D :D
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Thats great!!! I love happy endings :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Boy, you guys [ sniff, sniff ] are sure a bunch of [ wipe, sniff ] sentimental old fanny burbs!

I thankfully have several of my first few guns, and silly or not, sitting on the balcony listening to the spring peepers, sipping a good brew, and reading a Louis L'Amour story while my old .22 is leaning against the railing somehow is really a satisfying thing. Sure, I go to a ballet or symphony now and again, and I do the 'city thing' sometimes, but there's something grand about rural America of the mid-20th Century many in my generation really loved. '69 Mustangs, plinking with a .22, shooting rats at the local trash dump, and necking at the drive-in movies. Miss them all...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

That's terrific! :lol:
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

I think the dust must be blowing in East Texas, my eyes are starting to swell. Great story, enjoy your new/old toy.
when your enemy is within range so are you
model55
Levergunner 3.0

old gun

Post by model55 »

You were blessed!Nice rifle and story.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Great story!! I still have my Dad's model 67. He bought it off a kid that worked on his dad's farm for the summer. He had bought it for $10 with some of the money he made on the farm. He was from the city (Montreal) and his mom wouldn't let him take it home. Dad gave him $10 and let him use it whenever he came back to the farm. It was my first carry around rifle. Taught my son to shoot with it. Maybe if I'm blessed I will teach my grandson to shoot with it too.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thank's for the rememberings. I was 14 in 1952 and sure do remember hanging around the hardware store looking at all those beautiful rifles. Glad you found it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Wow! This is a great story. Glad you got her back. Isn't it funny how we can get about wood and steel? It's one of those things that if you have to explain to someone, they probably won't ever understand. And for those who do understand, no explanation is necessary.

I've got a late 1940's Remington Model 550 semi-auto .22 LR that my Dad gave me. It's my first gun and will stay in the family when I'm gone.

Congratulations on finding yours after all these years. Great story! - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

A treat to read that!
Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gryphon Black »

Once in a while, the Great Wheel of Fortune lands on the jackpot!

Heartfelt congratulations.

Now go shooting with your old friend, and snap another picture while your out there about it.

[not that we could see it through all the dust-induced blurriness :wink:]

Gryphon
bang.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great story, congratulations :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Fellers, thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it. :)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jnyork -

What a great story - thank you for sharing it and the picture! :D That just made my heart sing to read that you got your original rifle back. Fantastic!!! :D :D :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Another old gun story- sorry, not a lever

Post by Old Savage »

Great story, did not have a rifle as a kid but I do have my Bear Panda bow that I shot all time.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Well I'll be da*ned! I first learned to shoot with one of those. It belonged to my uncle Tom, five years younger than my dad, and dad borrowed it to teach me to shoot when I was about 5 yrs old.

My dad had bought the gun as a Christmas present for Tom when dad left school to go to work at age 15, and Tom was 10, right wround 1950. My uncle still has it, and he says a dozen or more kids have learned to shoot with it.

I still have my own first rifle, and Ithaca model 49, bought in 1966.
Certified gun nut
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I love that story :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

jnyork - My folks bought me a spankin' new Winny Youth 67 model about 1951 or '52 for a Christmas present. I had seen it at the hardware store that fall and asked if my father I could buy it. "Nope, neither of us can afford it right now", Daddy replied. Pretty disappointing for a kid to hear. When I opened that package on Christmas morning though, I'm sure my smile was as big as any before or since. Kept and shot that rifle for many years and then passed it on to my son for his first real gun when he turned 11.

My boy's momma raised him and he has only limited interest in guns and/or hunting. Last time I saw that 67, a couple of decades ago, it had not fared very well. Wood had a number of scratches and metal sported a considerable amount of surface rust. Cleaned that all up for him. Couple of years ago, when I was there on a visit, he told me he still has it, but didn't know just where it was at the moment. Told me he was going to give it to one of his boys when he turns 10. He's eight now. Doubt that grandson will get the same feeling I did when he gets it as he's more interested in computer games, TV and all such things that today's kids seem to value.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

What a wonderful story.

I'm glad I've still got my first rifle that Dad bought me at an estate sale back in '76. Funny how the cheapest, plain vanilla guns are the ones that mean the most.
NRA Life Member
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Love it when that happens! That gun was meant to come back to you. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Re:

Post by LeverBob »

AJMD429 wrote:Boy, you guys [ sniff, sniff ] are sure a bunch of [ wipe, sniff ] sentimental old fanny burbs!

I thankfully have several of my first few guns, and silly or not, sitting on the balcony listening to the spring peepers, sipping a good brew, and reading a Louis L'Amour story while my old .22 is leaning against the railing somehow is really a satisfying thing. Sure, I go to a ballet or symphony now and again, and I do the 'city thing' sometimes, but there's something grand about rural America of the mid-20th Century many in my generation really loved. '69 Mustangs, plinking with a .22, shooting rats at the local trash dump, and necking at the drive-in movies. Miss them all...!
I think you just said it all AJ... here, here!

LB
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Good on you for bringing this topic back. What a great story!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Outstanding story and well told. I'm also pleased to see so many guys here calling it special.

My granddad had one of those. Not totally sure but I expect it's the first real gun I ever shot. It was at my dad's place for many years but a few years ago I sent it to a nephew whose "next in line." It killed many head of cattle and hogs during "butchering time." It's a very good example of the average man's rifle on the farm during that time period.

Don
win7094M1
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win7094M1 »

What a wonderful story!!
Winchester M94 30-30 (1980)
Winchester M70 Westerner 30-06 (1982)
Winchester M1 Garand (1942)
Too many others to list - hope to add more levers soon.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Thanks fellers. :D
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Don`t know how i missed this great story, very cool 8) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Love it!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I guess this bumps this terrific post back to the top, after several years. It was referenced from another post.

GREAT STORY, Mr. York! Good write-up with a happy ending. Thanks!
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

He'd taken $95 if you bargained with him.

:)
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

That is just too unbelievable to have happened because "the math" says the probability has so many exponents it gives true meaning to the word "impossible."
Yet that same math does say it could happen, but shouldn't ...... but it did.

As the angels in heaven say, "wait for it ......."

Cheers,

Carl
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Great story! The ultimate gun karma!

I had a somewhat similar .22 when I was about 8, a Remington 514 bolt single shot (the first Remington I know of which had some plastic parts....not a great trend to start, IMO). It had a trigger much like a Win 67; loooooong and creepy, and I couldn't hit anything with it at all, although I could do fine with my granddad's Savage Model 23AA, a much more expensive rifle. I traded it in on a Winchester single shot Model 37 .410 shotgun, which I still have and use.

Many years and a LOT of shootin' later, I got a very nice Win Model 67 as part of a settlement of a debt. Intended to find a Win .22 collector to sell it to--it was an early one with the longer barrel and finger grooves in the forend and in near-new condition. Took it to the range to see if it would go "bang" before I sold it and discovered that over all those years I'd gotten used to wobbly two-stage military rifle triggers and the "interesting" trigger on a NGUS-issue M3 "grease gun," and I could really make that 67 shoot! Ended up winning decent money at the club shooting against some very high-end .22 sporters shot by guys who were just not used to shooting open sights while standing up on their hind legs!

When my eyes got too dim to use open sights, I gave the '67 to my son and he still shoots it for fun, although he's a non-active Marine and prefers an AR or an M9. (DON'T call a Marine an "ex-Marine"--they're Marines even when they're no long with us! And DON'T ask me how I learned this....).
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

A really great story!! I'm glad you got it back under extraordinary circumstances.
I have my grandfathers 67 that my dad bought on his dad's farm sale. I got a lot of grinnies with it on the farm as a youngster. Pop got in trouble with it many years after he moved to town by shooting a rabbit out of his garden. He was getting up in years and had had a stroke, and he didn't think there was anything wrong with doing that. An old biddy neighbor lady had called the cops and he told them to go away. They did, but they took him with them in cuffs! I don't remember if he got fined or not, but got a good talking to, and then they wouldn't bring him home and mom had to go get him. :lol: I convinced him to trade me for a pellet gun to keep him from getting into more trouble. He passed in 1990. I had it reblued and it looks like new. I too, am going to give it to my son.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I missed this one the first time around. That rifle looks familiar because it's a dead ringer for the rifle my uncles bought back sometime in the same time period. They saved up the nickles, dimes and pennies they found on the theater floor where they worked cleaning up between movies back then, then they bought a Winchester 67 youth model just like that. After that their nickles, dimes and pennies went to buy mostly 22 shorts to shoot out of it. Decades later my brother was visiting my uncle who gave him the rifle. It's great to have an old family rifle around. I've got an old Winchester 67 with the long barrel that I picked up at a gunshow years ago, and a "sporterized" 67 that Rich Hoch cut down for his grandkids, then passed on to me for my kids. It's got an old 4X scope on it and doesn't group all that well, but is great for first shot accuracy in the hunting field. Funny how that works. I picked up the long barrel 67 because my cousin had one when we were growing up and I'd always had a fondness for them. They are great old rifles indeed, sure am glad you got your first one back.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

You know I got a 67A not a youth model but the regular version . Bought it in 1969 I was eight , paid $15 . My pop redid the stock and ny grandfather cold blued it the best he could . I kept that gun until last year and I sold it to a friend who wanted to clean it up and give it to another friends 7 year old son . My friend redid the stock and hot blued it this time .

But I never used it anymore and thought it was kinda neat to have a hand in making that little guy happy .

Besides I have my grandfathers old Winchester 1890 22 Short pump gun he and his brother bought new in the 20's :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My 67 is in the safe. It is also my first rifle. I think I'll take it out to the range this weekend mm
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad